Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal Black Silica
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 3.6R Touring.

I was driving today and noticed another Outback Touring pull out behind me - not sure if it was a 17 or 18. It pulled up close, and I realized it looked very cool from the front. There was something special about it. I thought, does my car look that good? It took me a second, but I realized the difference was this:

Unlike my car, the daytime running lights were in there proper position for a late model car.... I guess you would call this the eyebrow lights?

On my car, I think that the DRLs are the same bulbs as the high beams. I think this doesn't look anywhere near as good. Is that a new feature of the 2018?

Is there a way to change this in the settings for my 2017? I know in our Jeep we could program operation/location of the DRLs between hi/low beams and fog lights with a tool that connects to the OBD bus. Is this possible with the Subaru?

I've spent the last hour or so searching the forums including the DIY section and the only thing I have found is multiple entries about something called a "Switchback" but it's not clear what that is to me.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
I believe the "C" lights are the DRL for '18. Anything before that it's the high beams at reduced voltage. I didn't like that look so I installed LED turn signal switchbacks which are now my DRL and still function as amber turn signals. I disabled the high beam DRL.

·
Registered
2018 H4 LTD ES
71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
While not the C-light DRL, VLED’s now offers an excellent 9005 bulb for our 2010-2017 models. It has an available DRL module, which is plug & play, that actually allows DRL operation of the LED bulbs and they function exactly as the stock halogens.

I’ve been using them a couple months now (since they were released) and never been flashed. I recommend these as an improvement over stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BOXR 6, AutoJunkie, and runner9595.

What you saw was most likely an '18, which has switched to using the LED C-lights as DRL. The 2017's don't have that as a factory setting option, however Diode Dynamics has the "switchback" conversion kit you see mentioned everywhere:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/2015-2017-subaru-outback-c-light-switchback-led-halos.html

Here is a YouTube demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jdPN6Q1Ue0

I believe the "C" lights are the DRL for '18. Anything before that it's the high beams at reduced voltage. I didn't like that look so I installed LED turn signal switchbacks which are now my DRL and still function as amber turn signals. I disabled the high beam DRL.

I like the look. Seems like a big improvement.

This looks great, but I'm not sure I want to go through the process of opening up the housing and dealing with the glue. Sounds like a lot of work....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While not the C-light DRL, VLED’s now offers an excellent 9005 bulb for our 2010-2017 models. It has an available DRL module, which is plug & play, that actually allows DRL operation of the LED bulbs and they function exactly as the stock halogens.

I’ve been using them a couple months now (since they were released) and never been flashed. I recommend these as an improvement over stock.
Is this the one you are talking about?

MICRO LED HEADLIGHT 5K / 6K 9005 H10 9145 - 9005 HB3 - High Beam Headlights - Shop Application

There is a note at the bottom that says:

Not for use in high/low beam DRL applications that opperate at less than 8V.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Is this the one you are talking about?

MICRO LED HEADLIGHT 5K / 6K 9005 H10 9145 - 9005 HB3 - High Beam Headlights - Shop Application

There is a note at the bottom that says:

Not for use in high/low beam DRL applications that opperate at less than 8V.
Well, it's good that the modern Subaru DRL's pull more than 8v huh?

I believe the OB runs about 8.4-8.6v in DRL mode. I don't recall where I found that, but I've seen it a couple places. I'm running these in my 9005 high beam / DRL with absolutely no issues and zero flashes since day one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it's good that the modern Subaru DRL's pull more than 8v huh?

I believe the OB runs about 8.4-8.6v in DRL mode. I don't recall where I found that, but I've seen it a couple places. I'm running these in my 9005 high beam / DRL with absolutely no issues and zero flashes since day one.
Awesome. Do you have the HID low beams or the Halogen? I know the web site says that the 5K version match LEDs well, but I guess I'm looking to match the color of my factory HID low beams.

You're also happy with the brightness of the lights in DRL mode?

Finally, did you have to adjust the rotation of the LEDs in the housing to get good dispersion?

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Awesome. Do you have the HID low beams or the Halogen? I know the web site says that the 5K version match LEDs well, but I guess I'm looking to match the color of my factory HID low beams.

You're also happy with the brightness of the lights in DRL mode?

Finally, did you have to adjust the rotation of the LEDs in the housing to get good dispersion?
I have factory HID low beams and I selected the 5k color for these high beams. I think they are a great match.

The DRL's are extremely bright. I'm surprised I haven't been flashed, but it just seems to work as advertised. Good stuff. I'm very pleased.

I don't believe these required any adjustment, but if yours does it's a simple turn of the collar, no big deal at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.