Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting a set of dedicated winter tires and wheels around for my 2018 Outback. The one thing that is holding me up is not knowing enough about the TPMS sensors I need to buy. Since the Outback now shows individual tire pressure readings, I don't know if that means I have to buy a different type of TPMS sensor than Subaru Outbacks have used in previous years, or will those work with the new monitoring system. In other words, do they make a different sensor that actually registers the tire pressure for each tire than when cars just need to register when it is lower than it's supposed to be? I don't know enough about TPMS sensors to be dangerous. Since they are quite expensive, I don't want to purchase ones that don't do what I'm wanting them to do and that is work just like the ones that came on the car.

Hopefully somebody out there knows and can advise myself and others who may be wondering the same thing.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
51 Posts
The standard 315 MHz work in the newer MY. The sensor logic is there either way it's up to the installer to get the right sensor in the right place when pairing. Any standard TPMS tool will read the ID just fine.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
238 Posts
Hey @Harleyduo, the old sensors do not work on the 2018. The sensors used on my 2016 failed to program IN MY 2018 at a tire shop and at the dealership. Unfortunately I do not know which sensors would work given that the dealership did not have the 2018 sensor details. That said I plan to take the sensors out of the OEM wheels and hope to get a part number and aftermarket alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim, keep me posted if you figure it out. I was a bit concerned that the older sensors might have issues when it came to getting them programmed in to the 2018. I'm going to check with my Subaru Dealership on Wed. and see if they can get them and if so how expensive they are.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jim, keep me posted if you figure it out. I was a bit concerned that the older sensors might have issues when it came to getting them programmed in to the 2018. I'm going to check with my Subaru Dealership on Wed. and see if they can get them and if so how expensive they are.

Hey @Harleyduo, so good and bad news... I think I found replacement sensors for the 2018 outback... they are the Schrader EZ-Sensor #33500 and the part number should be PA6-GF35. I just bought some in store from Advanced Auto parts and you can find them on Amazon too ($40-53 each).
Bad news is the tire shop was not sure if they can program them as the 2018 is not supported yet.....will try use the programming for the 2017 and see.... worst case will have to go to the dealership but not guarantees.
Attached pics

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great job and thanks for passing it on. That's incredibly helpful.

Hey @Harleyduo, run into a little snag......the software to program the sensors to the 2018 outback is not yet available so these do not work yet. I spoke with a subaru service guy regarding the software and he appeared clueless. My guess is once sensors are available through subaru parts,then the software will also be available.
Will keep you posted if I figure something else out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim, I was able to get to my Subaru dealership yesterday and asked the Service guy if he could provide me with a part number. I told him I had tried to log into the online Subaru Parts site and it did not recognize my VIN number. He said they probably were not updated for the 2018 Outbacks, yet, but when he tried to do it on his Parts Website, it seemingly recognized my VIN but then said there was a problem with is, so he assumed that it was not totally programmed for the 2018 Outbacks, yet, either. He did make some phone calls to Subaru and before I left he gave me a part number and cost, which is sort of good news/bad news.
He said the part # is 28103FL00A but the bad news is that the price for ONE is $124.79. YIKES!!!!! I don't think I'll continue on my quest to put together my dedicated winter tires/wheels set-up until I come up with a working solution that includes lower prices sensors. It's just crazy that I can buy Aluminum mag wheels for about the same amount as a tire pressure monitor sensor. Keep me posted on when you get yours working. I like the price of your sensors MUCH BETTER.

·
Registered
238 Posts
@Harleyduo, $125 for one is daylight robbery.....I will try get the aftermarket sensors programmed at the dealership without having to pay an arm and a leg.
I will try pass by this weekend and will keep you posted.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,673 Posts
I find it hard to believe that Subaru would change away from a commodity TPMS sender.

I bought closeout cheap 17" alloy wheels & senders from Tire Rack. That was the cheapest place I found senders and they came installed on the wheels along with the right spacers for the car. I bought Nokians locally.

I also bought an ATEQ TPMS QuickSet at Tire Rack for $120. The tire shop had to activate the senders and read the serial numbers with their gear but I reprogram my car between the winter senders and summer senders every 6 months.

ProTip on programming the car: If you have push button start, you need to hit the start button twice with your foot off the brake to wake up the ODB-II port so you can program the car. That's "ignition on".

If it were me, I'd call Tire Rack and ask about TPMS sender compatibility and pricing. They sell a bajillion winter tire/wheel setups so they've for-certain dealt with the 2018 Outback. I'd also call ATEQ and ask about compatibility for their tool. Tire Rack didn't have up-to-date information on it when I bought mine.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
51 Posts
I still have an 18 OB and the whatever TPMS still paired fine. The only hard part is finding a place with the updated tools to push the info to subie 18 over OBD. BigO here just got an update but didnt install yet and no go until the tech installed the update. All paired up and good to go.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,673 Posts
@GeoffD, do you have a 2018 outback?

<------ Read the car ownership details

They're all 5th generation Outbacks. The differences are quite minor from 2015 to 2018. The TPMS system is not something Subaru engineered. They buy from the same suppliers as everybody else and mostly use the Toyota parts bin. They do their own custom engineering where they think they have a competitive advantage. I don't think TPMS senders is where they would spend their scarce engineering resources.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts

They're all 5th generation Outbacks. The differences are quite minor from 2015 to 2018. The TPMS system is not something Subaru engineered. They buy from the same suppliers as everybody else and mostly use the Toyota parts bin. They do their own custom engineering where they think they have a competitive advantage. I don't think TPMS senders is where they would spend their scarce engineering resources.
Stop making sense, that gets you in trouble in this world >:)

TPMS is legally required since 2008 models, pure commodity hardware: it only has to work well (and wheel!) enough, only real optimization would likely be on price.

If there are many models (I've not researched it) I wonder what the distinctions are beyond price.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Actually as a previous owner of a 2016 and now current owner of 2018 I do not agree with you as I spent the last 2-3 weeks figuring out a solution for my 2018 With aftermarket wheels because Subaru changed the TPMS system and the 15/16/17 sensors do not work on the 18 as the 18 displays individual tire pressure on the dash. Yes the TPMS system was not engineered by Subaru, and the sensors were built by Schrader.... I had to call the customer support to get the specific details of the sensors used in the 2018.

·
Registered
238 Posts
@Harleyduo, got all my sensors working.... Took the car to the dealership and they were able to program the sensors. If you got the schrader ez-sensor 33500, those should work fine in your winter wheels.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Jimusoke, I had put my dedicated winter tire acquisition on temporary hold while I was waiting for the information and data to catch up with the new model year. I appreciate your being the point person on getting that researched. A big thank you from Michigan.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thank you Jimusoke, I had put my dedicated winter tire acquisition on temporary hold while I was waiting for the information and data to catch up with the new model year. I appreciate your being the point person on getting that researched. A big thank you from Michigan.

No worries man!

1 - 20 of 261 Posts