Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 2.5 Outback LTD

I want to buy a USB media player into which I can download iTunes music and then, via Bluetooth, pair and play in the car. I bought the discontinued, refurbished iPod Gen 7 and it worked perfectly for three weeks before going bad. I'm looking for something currently made other than buying a compatible smartphone.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem: iPod will not play on a brand new Outback (2,5i Limited/JDF, 2018). My iPod classic (160 GB) and my nano will not play out of the USB. iPhone works fine, no problem. When I plug in the classic I get no recognition of it whatsoever. After plugin in the nano, I get a funny message (played at increased speed of reading) stating the title of the audiobook, then battery full, then battery 75%, then battery 50%, then battery empty, then use iTunes to reset your iPOD. I googled it an saw that Subaru had this issue over the years and, it seems that they have not fix it! I find it unbelievable since I was able to use the iPods over cars I owned previously, like Toyota, Nissan and Hyundai. What makes it even more disturbing is that the way the manual states it, one can use only iPod 5th generation on it, which Apple apparently discontinued...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Nano, 5th generation, played perfectly over my 2010 Outback LTD, but is not supported by the 2018 Outback. The 2018 manual actually lists only the 7th generation Nano as compatible; as I stated, my 7th generation did work, but died a premature death at three weeks.

I guess I'll dump my Moto G4 and buy an iphone 7+, then hope it will play itunes in shuffle mode through the car's media system. I did call Subaru, and they verified the compatibility. We'll see. I'm thoroughly disgusted and disappointed in the Subaru navigation/media system in general. I see, now, why Consumer Reports listed Subaru as the third from the bottom in customer satisfaction. A great car, though, and I'm otherwise completely happy with the 2018.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts