Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So have been doing a bunch of reading about tires here and came to the conclusion that I like the Yokohama Geolanders. I have a Subaru Outback 2008 with no mods and I am just wondering how many people have ran these tires without the mods. I don't have the money to get new rims so it is going to have to be on the 17" rims. Any and all info would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The 17s will be OK, they just lose a little sidewall height compared to the 16s... I really do think that you should also install larger mudflaps like the excellent Rally Armor ones - the A/T-S tires kick up a lot more gravel and the OEM flaps don't do much to stop dinging up the lower paintwork.....

Your next upgrade to think about is a full sized spare, but with the all terrains installed, you will be MUCH less likely to flat due to sidewall damage.

Welcome to the forums, and where do you live?

John Davies
Spokane WA USA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. Been calling around and people do not like that I am trying to put this tire on a Subaru. I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Been calling around and people do not like that I am trying to put this tire on a Subaru.
The tire that fits your OEM wheel has a 1550 pound load rating (per tire) - while it has a much stiffer sidewall than a street tire, that ain't exactly a light truck tire...... I wonder why they are concerned?

LOL, maybe they want you to buy more crummy touring tires that will go flat when you go exploring the National Forests.... they make more money that way.

My '07 OB came from the Black Hills area - there was a lot of fine pink gravel packed into the front of the tow receiver opening...... That corner of the state is sure pretty. I was very UNimpressed with Mount Rushmore, but the forest and roads are great there, once you get away from the tourists.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So for tire sizes would the 215/65 17 work and allow more sidewall without rubbing or do I need to stick with the 60. Mt rushmore is definetly not the highlight of the Black Hills; but I am a nature lover so I prefer more of the path.

·
Registered
847 Posts
So for tire sizes would the 215/65 17 work and allow more sidewall without rubbing or do I need to stick with the 60.
Study the specs here - especially width and OD: ... Yokohama*Geolandar A/T-S

The 215/65-16, which I use, is close to the same overall diameter as OEM - 27.0 inches. Going larger will change your speedometer and odometer (slow them down) and you will never be able to fit a full sized spare in the back, which is problematic even with the OEM size.

215/65R16: 27.0 inches OD
215/60R17: 27.1 inches OD
225/65R17: 27.6 inches OD

I personally would stay with the 215/60R17, but the 225/65R17 would work, and have _slightly_ taller sidewalls. If you think you _ever_ might want a full sized spare, stay with the stock OD!

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the tires put on the car yesterday! They look great on my Subaru and so far I have been impressed even though I haven't been able to try them out fully. Thanks for all of your help John.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am looking at putting a set of Yokohama Geolander H/t 95A on my 2005 Outback LL Bean wagon. Wonder why you chose the size tires you did, instead of the stock 225/55/17?? I know somebody with exactly this set at a good price--pulled from another car. Would this present any problems??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
arthuruscg
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing