Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a pic, any pic, of the AWD transfer valve that the Transfer Solenoid/Duty C solenoid bolts into.

Ideally pics of both sides of the valve and the channels under the valve, but even a pic of the valve with just the rear section of the trans removed would be very helpful.

I can find lots of pics, but all are of 2003 or older.

By year/model this is what I'm looking for (any one will work):

Baja 2004-2006
Forester 2004
Impreza 2005
Legacy 2004
Outback 2004

subarupartsforyou is throwing me off the trail because regardless of year the only pic they show is this one:

Does that match anyone's valve?

Even if someone has seen theirs and can tell me how similar it looks to my '03:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen one trans parts supplier that has a different pic for the 31942-AA103 vs the 31942-AA130 (the newer one), there are a few superficial differences that tell me it's not just a rotated pic, but they look exactly the same except for how the wires come out of the solenoid.

I find it funny that the pic that got me freaked from SPFY is from a 99 or earlier, back when the solenoid and valve bolted into the extension case.

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
I tried pulling a new valve assembly to have a look for the 04'.
Of course there were none in stock, ah well worth a shot.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, mostly used just the one year so not so plentiful...

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Warm weather is here, I'm almost willing to get back under the car.

Really really need a pic of a 2004 4EAT transfer valve!

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did confirm at the dealer that the valve can only be bought with the solenoid attached, so I can't go by the valve part# (which is diff for the '04 vs '03)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yup, 1 assembly.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Well I have my engine apart today, but sadly not the trans.
Maybe some day I will tear into it when my transfer clutch pack bites the dust.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My other trans had no AWD problems to 200,000 miles so I'm not expecting pics soon ;)

I wonder if I can get the tail section off with the head-pipes in place?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,317 Posts
Got a pic. If you want the valve, let me know.

For some strange reason, I thought about you and that demon Bean last night. I have this 4EAT VTD sitting in the shop minus the clutches with a screwed up valve body. The PR valve kept sticking after the shift kit was installed and would dump the TC. Its an 01.

You need a valve that matches the the TCM signal and I have one. Now, I could not find a part number. I called Mandy, Subaru of Georgetown again, and she looked it up on her end and says the 4EAT transfer solenoid is the same for the VDC and LL Bean and all 2.5 models between our years. Pic attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
We knew the solenoids were different with the 04 model, the polarity is reversed and its screwing with Dave's TCM function for the MPC.

I have a VDC. I have an extra 4EAT with all the hard parts. (I used 2 trans to make one good one. Primarily used a JDM trans with low miles and good hard parts and valve body and put new clutches and shift kit in it since the oil journals in the OEM case were iffy. PR valve kept hanging up.) It has a different style clutch system for the VTD center differential since the gear set for the VTD keeps a minimal transfer of 45/55, where the diff in the Bean is like the 2.5 models and is 90/10 to 50/50 (or close to 50/50). The solenoids for the VDC and Bean are the same part numbers. The clutch packs are different. So since the part numbers are the same, it should work with his TCM to control the fluid flow to the MPC in his diff without the rigged modulator he made.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/52451-4eat-awd-does-not-work-then-bangs-3000-rpm.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/53304-successful-inversion-transfer-solenoid-signal.html

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
To be brief, I saw not two, but four different part numbers (excluding the obsolete ones).

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
Upto 2003 used one part. 2004 up is another. Your links showed the different part numbers for the different years. Mine is an 01, Dave's is and 03. Same part. The 04 transmission he has in the car now is a Phase II 4EAT with an inverted solenoid. That's why he made a modulator to try and make it work.

My theory is that the solenoid and TCM circuits were changed in 04. His 03 TCM circuit will match with my 01 transfer solenoid and operate the MPC as intended.

If he wanted to go even further, I could send him the tail section with the VTD and he'll have an AWD Bean minus VDC.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
Two different numbers for the older style, two different numbers for the newer style. All four seem to be available.

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
Mandy has never been wrong on the part numbers. Nor has Anthony. That's why I use them for my parts when I need it from Subaru.

Your links reflect updated part numbers, i.e. "alternate".

The main thing is the TCM signal to the solenoid and the solenoids reaction to that signal. The 04 is reversed from model up to 03.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts