Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have pictures of an Outback running 32 offset? I would like to see how much they sit out...

The particular wheel I would be getting is:
Motegi Racing MR118 17x8 Offset 45
But depending on fitment, I would be curious about running 32 offset instead.

Thanks for any help with pics!!!
Ill post mine once I get it.

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Anyone have pictures of an Outback running 32 offset? I would like to see how much they sit out...

The particular wheel I would be getting is:
Motegi Racing MR118 17x8 Offset 45
But depending on fitment, I would be curious about running 32 offset instead.

Thanks for any help with pics!!!
Ill post mine once I get it.
Try playing around this calculator. It will give you an idea of what you can do :grin2:

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I’m running 18x7.5 with a 42mm offset and they stick out about 16mm

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really appreciate that. Good looking OB!
Im trying to get an idea of how much 32 will stick out, visually... im thinking 45 offset, but 32 would be half an inch more and Im trying to imagine it... need those pics to confirm my desire!

Thanks man!

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
I really appreciate that. Good looking OB!
Im trying to get an idea of how much 32 will stick out, visually... im thinking 45 offset, but 32 would be half an inch more and Im trying to imagine it... need those pics to confirm my desire!

Thanks man!
From what the calculator is showing if stock is 16x6.5 at 45mm 17x8 at 32mm it will push the rim out about 32mm (about 1.26”)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That calculator is too much for me.. i appreciate your help..
I thought that the difference from 45 to 32 would be 13 millimeters, and from what google says, that equates to .5 inches.

If what you?re saying is accurate, that would be just fine by me. I think thats extra stance would really make the new subie shine..

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
That calculator is too much for me.. i appreciate your help..
I thought that the difference from 45 to 32 would be 13 millimeters, and from what google says, that equates to .5 inches.

If what you?re saying is accurate, that would be just fine by me. I think thats extra stance would really make the new subie shine..
Yes your right 45 to 32 is 13 but you have to add the with in to going from 6.5 to 8

I put in 225/60/16 for tires and 16x6.5 if that is stock for your subie and
225/55/17 for tires and 17x8
The link is setup with this in it. Only bad thing I see is Positive scrub radius (about 13 mm). Scrub radius will be changed by 13 mm, this may affect the car's handling. If you scroll down the page you’ll see all the differences between stock and what you would like

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=225-60-16X6.5ET45&wheel2=225-55-17X8ET32&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate your help. Its a little over my head...

But stock comes as 225/45r18 i think..

I would be putting on 245/65r17 with a 17x8 wheel, 45 offset but do you think I could go 32 offset with no issues? Just to stick out a touch more?

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
I really appreciate your help. Its a little over my head...

But stock comes as 225/45r18 i think..

I would be putting on 245/65r17 with a 17x8 wheel, 45 offset but do you think I could go 32 offset with no issues? Just to stick out a touch more?
Ok I put in
225/45/r18 as stock and
245/65/r17 both 8” wide

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man you are awesome thanks!
I guess I should have prefaced this entire conversation by mentioning I will have a LPadventure 2? lift running this setup...

Can that calculator take this into consideration?

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Man you are awesome thanks!
I guess I should have prefaced this entire conversation by mentioning I will have a LPadventure 2? lift running this setup...

Can that calculator take this into consideration?
I don’t think so, all this calculator does is shows you the difference between stock wheels and tires and a custom set of wheels and tires you would like to use. But if you plan on putting a lift setup on that would give you even more room to bo what you want. The only trouble I saw was the tire would be really close to the finder but with the life setup should be fine. But the lift setup may change the scrub radius point which may affect the handling.My advice would be is talk to a tire guy and pick his brain on it (any tire guys out there?)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, thats ideal... because I am no tire guy. But from what Ive seen on the lifted outbacks, coearance is not ever an issue, and since im simply mimicking their setup, except attempting to push the wheel out further, I feel im headed in the right direction... but I definately dont want it to affect the vehicle negatively. I dont even know what a scrub radius is... but it sounds important.

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Yes, thats ideal... because I am no tire guy. But from what Ive seen on the lifted outbacks, coearance is not ever an issue, and since im simply mimicking their setup, except attempting to push the wheel out further, I feel im headed in the right direction... but I definately dont want it to affect the vehicle negatively. I dont even know what a scrub radius is... but it sounds important.
Here’s some info about scrub radius

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius

Right now before your lift setup your scrub radius would be Negative scrub radius (about -2 mm). which is fine

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I think these work out to 28mm in the front and 23mm in the rear with 20 and 25 mm spacers respectively. Stock 17x7 +48 wheels. Drivers side pics are spaced, passenger side is not for reference.

Edit: Sorry for the sideways pics, weren't that way when I uploaded them

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely what I was looking for. That helps.

From what I can tell, a 32 offset will push the wheel out to where Im wanting, I just dont want it to mess up the drive or cause damage potentially. I cant imagine it would.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Touring
43 Posts
What’s the factory scrub radius?

Here’s some info about scrub radius

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius

Right now before your lift setup your scrub radius would be Negative scrub radius (about -2 mm). which is fine
I see a ton of posts about scrub radius and offset. The online calculator assumes zero scrub radius from the factory for reference. I have a 2017 OB with 55mm offset factory wheels. Anyone know what the factory scrub radius actually is?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've a 2016 OB with a 2" LPaventure lift and actually run your exact question of the motegi racing 118 +32 offset with 245/65 17s. Thus far I am at 18,000 miles with this since the start of the set up. Other then some minor rubbing at full lock on the front splash guards (which I trimmed the inside plastic to the first screw) there have been zero issues. I eventually just took the splash guards off because I found it to me more aesthetically pleasing.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
I know this thread is older, but for those who may have the same question in the future...

Motegi MR118 17x8et32 with Conti Terrain Contact 245/65R17 tires (these pics are before the lift, which does a small amount of moving them back inboard a bit, if I'm not mistaken).

(note that front wheel is turned right a bit in this pic)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this thread is older, but for those who may have the same question in the future...

Motegi MR118 17x8et32 with Conti Terrain Contact 245/65R17 tires (these pics are before the lift, which does a small amount of moving them back inboard a bit, if I'm not mistaken).

(note that front wheel is turned right a bit in this pic)

I just got a 2018 Outback, looking to get this setup with either 32 or 45 offset and 245/65r17 or 255/55r18 terraincontacts. I would prefer the 245s, but everyone has rubbing when they install it on the mr118 with 45 offset.

Do you experience any rubbing with the 32 offset? If so, did trimming/removing the splash guard fully resolve the issue? Future wife doesn't care about the what I do with the car AS LONG AS there is no rubbing or other things that would frighten her when she drives it on the occasion :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
I just got a 2018 Outback, looking to get this setup with either 32 or 45 offset and 245/65r17 or 255/55r18 terraincontacts. I would prefer the 245s, but everyone has rubbing when they install it on the mr118 with 45 offset.

Do you experience any rubbing with the 32 offset? If so, did trimming/removing the splash guard fully resolve the issue? Future wife doesn't care about the what I do with the car AS LONG AS there is no rubbing or other things that would frighten her when she drives it on the occasion :)

Thanks in advance!

I still get a little rubbing. The oem splash guards are not the issue, its the inner fenderwell on the front wheels. The trimming helped, but just before hitting full lock on the steering wheel, I'll get a slight rub still. Unsure if just a little more trimming would do it or not, but I'm not too worried about it personally so haven't bothered with it.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,149 Posts
Just ordered Motegi MR139 17x7” w/ +38mm offset and going to mount BFG KO2 245/65R17 tires. With no lift you think will rub? I have OEM splash guards but want to install a Rally Armor mud flaps either in conjunction with OEM or in lieu of OEM splash guards.

Car is 2019 Outback 3.6R Limited on 18” rims.

Reactions: kenshotx
1 - 20 of 22 Posts