Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Draw-Tite hitch on my 2017. I was rear ended a couple months ago and the hitch took most of the impact. The shop fixed the rear end but the new hitch points down about 5 degrees.

I remember it being flat. I'm worried that for bike racks it will have me scraping on more stuff. Can you guys post some pictures for me so I can get an idea of what it should look like? Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,667 Posts
Is this the under-frame mount or the Subaru-type mount?

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
567 Posts
My ecoHitch is level

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
6 Posts
I've seen different models compared and installed on YouTube. I'm going with the Draw-tite 76227. $148 on Amazon. Mounts like the OEM style. In all the videos the receiver part is level.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
2,894 Posts
If the hitch took the impact then there is probably damage at the area it is mounted that the shop didn't fix, or at least didn't completely fix. Or maybe the hitch itself got tweaked but looked okay visually and the didn't really replace it. Whatever the reason it shouldn't be angled down. Generally the hitch should be about parallel with the structure of the car. Sometimes a hitch will even look angled slightly upwards just because the rear of the vehicle sits a little higher than the front.

Post some pics of the one that is angled down so we can see what it looks like.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I've attached a picture below. Definitely not level. They said they replaced the hitch so I believe that the framework in the rear is still bent.

2019-12-04 10.49.19.jpg

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Probably got bent down a tad in the accident. I have same Draw-Tite. I wedged a piece of 1x2 wood scrap in mine and measured at receiver and about 16" away. Close to equal. Maybe you can do same. If you take it back, they'll likely just put a length of 2x2 square tube in there and yank up on it. Or you could put a jack under it and try to bend it up yourself. Either way, it doesn't look like it will hurt anything.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
2,894 Posts
Probably got bent down a tad in the accident. I have same Draw-Tite. I wedged a piece of 1x2 wood scrap in mine and measured at receiver and about 16" away. Close to equal. Maybe you can do same. If you take it back, they'll likely just put a length of 2x2 square tube in there and yank up on it. Or you could put a jack under it and try to bend it up yourself. Either way, it doesn't look like it will hurt anything.
Whether it will hurt anything depends on what is bent. I would want to know that there aren't any spot welds that broke loose from the bending--both from impact and bending it back in place. Just putting a tube in the receiver and jacking it back up may get it back where it is supposed to be but what happens when you have relatively heavy load on the hitch and hit a big bump? Might bend right back down again. Metal fatigue from bending back and forth.

And leaving it like that could definitely cause problems dragging something like a bike carrier on small inclines depending on how much it lower it hangs because of the angle. Measuring it like you describe would be a big help to know how bad it is. In the first picture it almost looks level to the ground to me but the second picture does make it look bent down.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I did read later that he said it was a replacement hitch, so it could also be tolerance stack in the hitch assembly itself. But either way, they'll likely take the quick way out. The body panel sheet metal will bend before any welds get broken. They only get paid once.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe that the hitch is square and the body panel is bent. The tabs on the body panel don't line up great with the bumper either.

I wouldn't care if it was just cosmetic, but as noted it could be a safety/convenience issue down the road.

It goes back to the shop tomorrow morning, we'll see what they say. I would think they would work on it forever since it's an insurance case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts