Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm moving from Connecticut to Denver within the next month and I'm looking to purchase a Subaru Outback before I make the trek. I've been looking at a new 2017 3.6r limited. I snowboard often in the winter time and hope to be making it to the mountain very frequently. My main interest in the outback is its performance in the snow and popular awd system. I'm looking to buy the car outright to avoid any interest and was wondering what I should be expecting to pay. I was also wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to why I should or should not buy this particular trim. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
0% right now on 2018s.

I just got a 3.6R limited. Get the 2018. Its a far, far nicer car. Quieter, and the infotainment is better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
0% right now on 2018s.

I just got a 3.6R limited. Get the 2018. Its a far, far nicer car. Quieter, and the infotainment is better.

How much did the 2018 run you? Do you think if I buy it outright I can get it for cheaper?

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
who knows. check the MSRP price paid thread. My deal was an outlier.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Outback w/Eyesight, Venetian Red Pearl
301 Posts
I had the same thoughts before making my purchase but there is no discount for cash, at least that's what I discovered when I purchased my '17 back in March. Others will correct me if wrong. Went for the 0% financing for 4 years instead which is actually a better deal due to inflation over the length of the loan. If you have cash, invest the money instead!

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
Lots of sources on the web to help with deciding on a fair price, KBB, TrueCars, Edmunds to name a few. Lots of differences in price depending on geographic area.

Take everything you read about prices paid on forums like this with a grain of salt. If you attempt to duplicate some of the claims you will only make yourself crazy.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,819 Posts
consider buying in Denver - lots of dealerships in Colorado and no re-registering hassle in a new State.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
335 Posts
consider buying in Denver - lots of dealerships in Colorado and no re-registering hassle in a new State.
Definitely consider doing this, and check registration fees & tax laws. For instance, if you bring a new car into NC, you get to pay tax on it when you register, even if you already paid tax where you bought it (and its a highway use tax, so it's not deductible as sales or property tax).

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
In addition to the above suggestions, you may want to contact the dealership internet sales department and ask whether it would be cheaper to order a car vs. buying one from the lot. In my case it was almost $2500 cheaper to factory order and wait two months than get one from the lot with identical options. I bought mine in Chicago at Grand Subaru and was quite pleased with the overall experience.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
247 Posts
Dealers do like to add "regional" rates/fees/pricing however that could up the cost. Go online. Do your homework. The same car could be cheaper in another state.

Edit:

As far as trim/features of the Touring. You can pretty much package out a Limited to be essentially a Touring. About the big take aways for a Touring would be heated steering wheel, the different rails on the top, and the custom leather. If that is worth it ... that is up to you. I heard folks really like the Touring rails for those that use them a lot.

Functionally however with the same engine, tires, and transmission in theory they should "drive" the same.

I was considering a 2017 Touring. Ended up with a 2018 Limited. For me, I did not need the three things mentioned above and a loaded Limited was cheaper than the Touring. My wallet took over from there.

I will also add that I test drove a used 2016 Outback (it was a loaded Premium) with about 20k miles and obviously the 2018 Limited. The 2018 was noticeably a quieter ride. It was not until later that I read that one of the features of the 2018s were sound (or the lack thereof). Considering I will commute a lot ... this was big for me. We all have our reasons and priorities.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
854 Posts
Check out this dealership, https://www.bestbuysubaru.com/

Heuberger Subaru in Colorado Springs, they have offered great prices on OEM parts for years now.

·
Registered
2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
150 Posts
As far as trim/features of the Touring. You can pretty much package out a Limited to be essentially a Touring. About the big take aways for a Touring would be heated steering wheel, the different rails on the top, and the custom leather. If that is worth it ... that is up to you. I heard folks really like the Touring rails for those that use them a lot.

Functionally however with the same engine, tires, and transmission in theory they should "drive" the same.

I was considering a 2017 Touring. Ended up with a 2018 Limited. For me, I did not need the three things mentioned above and a loaded Limited was cheaper than the Touring. My wallet took over from there.
+1 on the Limited vs. Touring. The Limiteds also have more color choices.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited Eyesight, 2018 Legacy 3.6R Eyesight
273 Posts
Absolutly agree on waiting to buy in Colorado. Unless your car is being being transported for you, why put a brand new car through the rigors of cross country travel? I don't know about where you are coming from but Colorado is a state that deducts your trade value from the price of the new car BEFORE applying taxes. A real money saver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts