Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typically, when winter comes, a big car job comes my way. The colder the better, right?

If you remember my past threads, you'll know my rear subframe is toast in two places. It may pass inspection right now, it may not. I haven't taken it in yet. Right now, I'm tempted to just replace it now and be done with it, while improving peace of mind and safety as well.

What kind of a job is this, and is there a step-by-step guide anywhere for it? Seems like the driveshaft and diff come down, struts, axles.... everything. Do I mess with the fuel system or EVAP lines at all? (Would rather not)

Are there any tricks that can speed up the process? What can I leave on, and save some time by doing so?

I know there are a few members on here that dismantle Subarus as well. I would definitely consider purchasing a used one from a member if available. Seems like shipping is under $100, roughly.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
No messing with the fuel system. You don't have to open up the brakes if you don't wan to even.

I have one I can sell. It's not a huge job but you'll need an alignment when you're finished. No step by step guide but I've done it and can tell you it's not incredibly difficult.

-Jack the car up, remove rear wheels.
-break loose the axle nuts (might require knocking the center caps out of the wheels and lowering the car back down on the wheels. . . or use an impact if you're blessed with one)
-Remove bolts holding spindle to control arms. Retain the trailing arms to hold them up. Pay attention to what bolts go where as there are a few different lengths in use. Spindles can stay attached to the trailing arms which holds them up and more or less out of the way.
-Pop both axles loose.
-Unhook driveshaft from rear diff. 4 12mm bolts with captive heads. You'll need something to keep the driveshaft from spinning, i use a big pry bar wedged through the u-joint.
-Remove bolts holding diff housing to subframe. Lower rear diff, slide axles out as you do.
-Remove bolts holding sway bar brackets to subframe. Move sway bar out of the way.
-Remove 4 large bolts holding subframe to body. Lower subframe out of car and remove and discard it.

All of the above steps may be complicated if your underbody is rusty. All I can say in that case is PB BLaster is your friend and I'll sell you the whole rear suspension assy. if you want to drop it out as a unit with spindles/rear diff attached. The body bolts usually don't give you any greif.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, thank you very much! I'll be archiving this for future reference. Kind of happy the spindles can stay up, this sounds a bit easier than I expected. (Still not a walk in the park though)

I will PM you regarding your subframe. Thanks again.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Just curious...

Have you checked with your dealer to see if you qualify for repair under the recall? Subaru issued a recall for rear subframe corrosion that covers at least the 2001 model year.

My '01 had the recall work done at some point, according to my dealer. With 226,000 Pennsylvania miles, it's virtually rust-free underneath.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may also want a MAP torch handy to heat up some of the bolts/nuts.
Oh yeah, my torch is handy :) Saved my a** a few times. A few days of soaking + torch should help out a ton.

Just curious...

Have you checked with your dealer to see if you qualify for repair under the recall? Subaru issued a recall for rear subframe corrosion that covers at least the 2001 model year.

My '01 had the recall work done at some point, according to my dealer. With 226,000 Pennsylvania miles, it's virtually rust-free underneath.
Lucky!

My car had the recall performed in 2003, and I have all of the documentation regarding it from 2003. (The recall only involves spraying the subframe with rust protectant, not actually fixing an already-perished subframe:() I sent a letter to SOA with copies of this documentation, and was denied any reimbursement for the subframe. Explained that I'm a loyal Subaru enthusiast, and that it's really the only thing keeping my OB from lasting forever... but still nothing. Sucks, because their recall completely failed. I wonder what went wrong.

Oh, they did give me $500 towards a new Subaru as compensation... like that helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
burnout8488
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing