Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5 auto, cold weather ed.
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my Subaru and the key isn't in the best shape. You can't make a copy of it. That worn down. So how do I get replacement keys made for it? What I can tell from other threads I have been able to find options:
1: Pay stealership to make keys from VIN?
2: Pay lock Smith to make keys.
3: other ideas?
I'm on limited budget right now. Have 1 ebay remote fob on it's way. Need proper keys.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS & 2000 OB
187 Posts
If it can't be copied, your only choice is to get one at the dealer from the VIN.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
If it can't be copied, your only choice is to get one at the dealer from the VIN.
Well the other choice would be to replace the ignition switch, and to avoid multiple keys maybe all the other door locks. Not very practical.

The OP should just be thankful he doesn't have a chipped key! Then he'd be paying for the key and the dealer to program it in.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
dealership will cut it by VIN, it will be a 10.95 charge for key cut, and the key blank is about 5 bucks. plus tax.
that is cheap.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Wagon 2.5L 5MT
62 Posts
So I bought my Subaru and the key isn't in the best shape. You can't make a copy of it. That worn down. So how do I get replacement keys made for it? What I can tell from other threads I have been able to find options:
1: Pay stealership to make keys from VIN?
2: Pay lock Smith to make keys.
3: other ideas?
I'm on limited budget right now. Have 1 ebay remote fob on it's way. Need proper keys.
Please don't call them the stealership. It's actually really cheap to get this kind of stuff on early 2000's vehicles. You can get this for under $100. That's cheap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been my experience with dealerships that they charge what ever they can get away with. Not necessarily the tech who is doing the work, maybe the service manager or whom ever. So I do all my own work. I'm just completely lost on these cars as I have never owned or worked on them. I will have to check with my local dealer service department to find out what this will cost me. I can start car okay, but getting in and out of car with out remote is difficult.

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
600 Posts
The answer is going to be completely unique to the businesses near you, so get on the phone.

I used to work in dealer parts. I think the older master key blank was 10.95, that's the easy part. Cutting and programming (where necessary, not on these older cars) is completely equipment and labor overhead, so the fees are going to vary wildly from dealer to dealer. The one I worked at would duplicate a side-cut key for free, but couldn't cut a new one by code.

Only the dealer can turn the VIN into a key code. How easily they give that information away will be completely up to them (there's a lot if liability to it, we were pretty cautious).

There's a local locksmith that we worked with all the time, we would decode VINs for them regularly, so a person could go to them and have them cut a new key for cheap. But that isn't advertised, you'd only find out by calling around.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,976 Posts
dealer can knock them out by vin # from the computer. $12. just need them to hone them,

and you need to test them in the locks, and flip the keys over so you are trying both edges. = spray exterior locks with wd40 as they maybe frozen from lack of use.

(and there are more dealers,....last one I bought keys from has straight crooks in the shop, but could still knock $12 keys out of the parts counter,..
..might try the idiot filled one next time)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, called my local dealership. $35 for 2 keys cut from the VIN. Super easy and cheap. Will take a few days to do because they have to order second key. Now onto my other problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts