Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a 2000 Subaru outback from a dealer. It has 20,000 miles, which is insane, especially coming from a dealer. My question is, what would you expect to pay a dealer for this car? I know what the kelly blue book price range is, but I simply have no frame of reference here. Should I worry about the quality of the parts, or would a dealer replace any old rubber and such? If anyone has experience buying used from a dealer, let me know what I'm in for, any info would be appreciated.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,386 Posts
It has had 1000 miles a year. Give or take.

All the hoses, fluid, timing belt, head gasket, bushings, bearings, etc would be suspect. It would be coming up on its third timing belt due to age.

How is rust?

Beyond that the price is whatever you think is fair. I am suspecting around 10k. I know that's what a 2004 Forester with 30k was 4 years ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has had 1000 miles a year. Give or take.

All the hoses, fluid, timing belt, head gasket, bushings, bearings, etc would be suspect. It would be coming up on its third timing belt due to age.

How is rust?

Beyond that the price is whatever you think is fair. I am suspecting around 10k. I know that's what a 2004 Forester with 30k was 4 years ago.
I'm in Colorado so rust is a non-issue. The record says that the previous owner lived in Aspen.

I'm planning on checking all of that when I'm at the place. I'm getting it from a Subaru dealer and from what I hear they do a 154ish point check in on their used cars, so hopefully they replaced any old parts. Thanks for that info on the forester.

It's listed a $7k.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
No way I'd pay 7K for an 18 year old Outback.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
I would inspect for simple dry rot on rubber things:

might have something like a bad axle boot, or simple valve cover gaskets./ spark plug tube seals.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I would inspect for simple dry rot on rubber things:

might have something like a bad axle boot, or simple valve cover gaskets./ spark plug tube seals.
Agree. There are many parts on a modern car where time is deadlier than mileage.

At best the car can't be worth more than $3500.

I would definitely want to see a CarFax.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
454 Posts
If you can't get it's service records it's just another ole car money pit. When was the coolant changed, have the shocks & struts been replaced , brake fluid changed . The Dealer is only going to make it look & smell pretty, the rest is on you. :soapbox:

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,275 Posts
I'm in Colorado so rust is a non-issue. The record says that the previous owner lived in Aspen.

I'm planning on checking all of that when I'm at the place. I'm getting it from a Subaru dealer and from what I hear they do a 154ish point check in on their used cars, so hopefully they replaced any old parts. Thanks for that info on the forester.

It's listed a $7k.
The dealer wouldn't have replaced any parts just because they were old. In fact the dealer likely wouldn't even replace any parts that were even suspect, unless there was an immediate safety hazard. All they want is for everything to be adequate enough to make it through a test drive without scaring off the customer.

Older low-mileage vehicles can either be a fantastic buy or a complete disaster. Sometimes more things can go wrong with a car sitting a lot than one being driven a lot of miles. I would guess there are probably still a lot of original parts on the car, like belts and hoses, timing belt, maybe even tires. The tires should have a date code so it would be easy to tell how old they are. If there isn't a date code then they are likely the original tires since that is right around the year when a date code was required on tires.

Might be a car worth buying but you would have to plan for the possibility of a lot of initial maintenance when deciding on a purchase price.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Have the Subaru dealer pull the vin# records right infront of you. Check service locations and mileage numbers I caught two rolled back odo cars this way. Also be sure the vin they pull is actually for that car. Caught a dealer using the wrong vin# before also

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
About 6 or 7 years ago, I bought a 97 Ford F250HD truck. It had 27k miles for $3500. I thought it was a bargain. Over the past couple of years I spent over $7k in just parts. I did all the labor. At almost the same time, I also bought a 99 BMW motorcycle with 14k miles. I only replaced the speedo cable over the past 70k miles. With old vehicles with very low miles, you just don't know how it will turn out. Offer the dealer less then the 7k or have them give you a 6 or 12mo warranty.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
West Coast temps and humidity makes for a non issue on gaskets. I have a barn find SLK 350 05 it had 13,000 on it. Other than replacing all the fluids and tires its been great. But I confirmed the mileage via the dealer records.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,559 Posts
$7K for a car full of dry-rotted rubber? Probably has multi-year old fluids in it as well. Cars are machines built to be used. If you don't use them, they will fail.

Taking the car itself out of the equation, imagine what would happen if someone t-bones you pulling out that dealership. You think the insurance company is going to pay you $7k for an 18 year old Outback? It's also too new to be considered a "collector car", so you can't (or won't) get "special consideration" insurance for it. At best, they'll probably get you $5k.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
I wonder if the original poster is even reading this thread anymore:
(ghost town stairs, cameron colorado)

Reactions: RoughDiamond
1 - 14 of 14 Posts