Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!! I am fairly new to this sight and am planning on getting an OB soon. Glad to have everyone's advice and insight on this post.

I have been looking around for quite some time and I think I finally found a winner but I need some ideas on what to look for when I go to look at this one. I know the general manager of this dealership so I am confident in a possible deal that I could get plus he is checking in on this vehicle tomorrow to let me know if it's still on the lot. I was going to call a local Subaru dealer to see if I can find out any history on it before buying as well. Other than the (what seems like) typical gasket/ oil leak issue, anything to look for specifically? I am pretty accustomed to buying used and the "typical" things to look for but not sure about a Subaru as this is my first one. I am also curious about what you think about the mileage and price. Seem fair? I looked it up on NADA and it's on the high end of the retail price for my area. Seems very clean from the pics they posted and I will verify that if/ when I see it if it's still there. Thanks in advance for your help and I know there are already a ton of these "help" posts which I have read a ton of them but I would still like some input. Thanks in advance!!

2001 Subaru Outback Limited VDC w/3.0L-H6 Engine

- Brad

·
Registered
246 Posts
Beat it. Seriously, give it some good hard accelerations and feel for any "skips" or pauses in acceleration. Go backwards with the car and listen for any strange noises, and find a parking lot, crank the wheel all the way and turn. Do it for both left and right. Then of course piston slap, valve tick etc.

It's ubsurd what they are getting for pricing south of Vermont. That's a $4,000 car in Vermont.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi Brad.

I just bought a 2-owner '01 VDC this past Friday with 225,000 miles on it. It's very clean with only one minor spot of rust inside the left rear door.

The one you're looking at looks about spotless, and the Carfax report shows a lot of dealer maintenance work performed on it.

Take it for a good drive. It might be a good idea to have a garage hook up a code scanner to see if there are any codes stored in memory.

I'd say try to push for $7,500, but even $8,000 would be a pretty fair price.

The H6 (6-cylinder) uses a timing chain, and not a belt. Also, head gaskets aren't really a common problem for this engine.

If you plan on changing the stereo, be prepared for some extra work. That's what I'm in the process of working on now. You'll have to make a custom harness, or rewire the speakers to bypass the amp.

·
Registered
514 Posts
As others mentioned, take it to a wide-open parking lot, turn the wheel all the way each end and start up hard. If a CV axle is going, there will be clanking, jerking of the wheel, etc.

If you can see the right front axle, look carefully at the inner rubber boot that covers the CV inner joint. Typically, that one is the first to go. All inner and outer boots on all four axles should be good, no cracks, no tears, no separations.

Look for the color of the car in any overspray paint that may be inside the wheel wells, in the engine compartment, underneath, etc., indicating that the car has been re-painted for some reason in that location.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks All!! Hoping to get over this week to check this thing out. I talked with the general manager today about it and it is still there and available. So as soon as I get a free night I am heading over there. I will take all the advice and give it a good run. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
This model H6 is trouble free, really. All the seals with the exception of the valve cover gaskets are "Fuji Bond". Strong stuff. The timing chain will never have to be replaced, nor its components unless damage occurs from lack of oil. The AC compressors are strong and if its not working properly, there's a leak in the system, i.e. seal, service valve, etc..

Since they cleaned the carpets, you will have to look into the sunroof rails and edging of the windshield for evidence of leaks and condition of the seals. Its uncommon for these to leak, but if the previous owner didn't keep it clean, the drain channels would clog up and the debri would deteriorate the seals around the roof.

If that McIntosh works correctly, it should sound like a concert hall. The door speakers are component and with the age, may need to be replaced due to tearing. The amp should be under the pass front seat. (And I also rewired a new system in mine for less than the cost of a replacement McIntosh when it quit with a Clarion double din, new component speakers in the doors, a 8" sub and new amp.)

Make sure all the electrical works, especially the seat. The seat motor assembly is not cheap, while the switch is.

This version is Subaru's top of the line.

Even with the mileage and age, and though its a clean car, try to stay under 8 off the lot. It would still be a fair deal for you and the dealer.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks All!! Hoping to get over this week to check this thing out. I talked with the general manager today about it and it is still there and available. So as soon as I get a free night I am heading over there. I will take all the advice and give it a good run. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again!!
Click on the link you posted above. Click on the Carfax icon on the left side of the page. The dealer has it listed for free. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
RedGeminiPA
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing