Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya

I've got an '07 OBW 2.5I. It's time I replace my tires soon, according to my Mech. I currently have Bridgestone Potenza P225/55R17 M+S

(I admit here I have NO idea what the numbers really mean so I'm a little clueless how/what to get)

On suggestion from a friend to check discount & wholesale tire places for lower prices, I'm still seeing the Bridgestones for $230 per tire I'm sorry, that's Crazy Talk.

IS there a comparable tire for less??
Or am I stuck?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Try tirerack.com. Put in your car's information, and it will give you the size you need. Also, check out their reviews and customer surveys. A quick look shows continental extremecontact dws in your size at $142 a tire. Seems pretty highly rated - its an all-weather performance tire. They have michelin primacy mxv4 - all weather grand touring at $167 a tire- more comfort, longer treadlife than the continental. If you still have questions, call them. They are very helpful. They also have a tire decision guide that is helpful.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't know if you have Americas tire/Discount Tire in your area, but the Yokohama YK580 is an excellent all season tire. 65000 mile tread warranty, quiet, and around &130.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Try tirerack.com. Put in your car's information, and it will give you the size you need. Also, check out their reviews and customer surveys. A quick look shows continental extremecontact dws in your size at $142 a tire. Seems pretty highly rated - its an all-weather performance tire. They have michelin primacy mxv4 - all weather grand touring at $167 a tire- more comfort, longer treadlife than the continental. If you still have questions, call them. They are very helpful. They also have a tire decision guide that is helpful.
My sister has the Conti ExtremeContact DWS on her '98 Legacy GT. They do indeed appear to be a very nice tire. The previous owner had just put them on when she bought it, replacing a set of the same because he liked them so much...he said they were impressive in the snow too.

They do well in the rain and on dry pavement or dirt roads and aren't noisy. Haven't seen any snow with them yet, and I'm skeptical of any all season being "impressive" in the winter, but time will tell...so far they're good! We're also in Massachusetts, so we may have similar conditions to deal with.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The numbers are the size of the tire. Any tire dealer worth anything will be able to tell you what size you need based on your vehicles year make and model.

·
Supporting Vendor
711 Posts
AV828, what are you looking for in a tire?

Here is a link to all the tires we carry for your vehicle in 225/55R-17 along with customer reviews.

Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
225/55 R17 is the size of the tire. TireRack has an explanation of each part of that, but you'll probably just want to stick with that size (unless you want a special tire that doesn't come in that size).

For tire choices, a search on the site will do lots of wonders, but it mostly boils down to the Primacy MXV4 and Optimo H727 for your typical all-season tires. The WRG2 is a fantastic all-weather tire, and the Geolandar is the favored all-terrain tire. All-season is a three-season tire that can do some winter stuff, while the WRG2 was built as a snow tire that can do the other three seasons. I personally prefer to have a dedicated set of snow tires, and a three season tire that can handle some snow for those late October snow storms (grrr...).

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
225/55 R17 is the size of the tire. TireRack has an explanation of each part of that, but you'll probably just want to stick with that size (unless you want a special tire that doesn't come in that size).

For tire choices, a search on the site will do lots of wonders, but it mostly boils down to the Primacy MXV4 and Optimo H727 for your typical all-season tires. The WRG2 is a fantastic all-weather tire, and the Geolandar is the favored all-terrain tire. All-season is a three-season tire that can do some winter stuff, while the WRG2 was built as a snow tire that can do the other three seasons. I personally prefer to have a dedicated set of snow tires, and a three season tire that can handle some snow for those late October snow storms (grrr...).
Basically:

225 is the width in mm
55 is the percentage of the width that is the sidewall height (so this tire would have a sidewall height of 123.75mm)
17 is the diameter of the rim (inches)

I like having dedicated snows, too, but depending on where in MA the OP is, that may be somewhat unnecessary with an AWD Outback. Despite not being a huge state, some areas get significantly more snow than others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
jp1203
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing