Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for the last 4 years I have always had a check engine light on and by miracles, when it came time to register my 2002 Subaru Outback, the check engine light would go away long enough where I could get my car registered. Not this time.
So, I bought a bluetooth diag tool and the two error codes I get are:

P0743 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical WTH?

and, then, the one I am most concerned about is...

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (bank 1) - I think this error code is funny because since Vegas got legal for weed (I am not a partakers) Having an error code 420 for efficiency below threshold seems apropos. hahahahah

How bad am I jammed up before I go to the local repair shop?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
P0420 is unfortunately vague and common. It doesn't mean you have a bad _____. It means somebody needs to spend some time doing real diagnostic work, because the fault could be several different things, or even multiple problems.

If you want to make this your debut into modern auto diagnostics come on in- many have done this themselves. But if you're not, it's the right time to get it in front of a pro. Not just a parts-changer, an actual technician. That isn't cheap but changing 4 good parts on the way to changing one bad one isn't any better, is it?

I might ignore the other error for now- at the very least see if it repeats, and see if you can connect it to any other symptom or behavior in the car.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
^^ agree on P0420 - note that, even though catalytic converter is in that code's description, very often, simple things like exhaust leaks or dirty MAF, or vacuum leaks or old plugs - basically general maintenance or old sensors, wear-and-tear repair issues - are more likely the problem.

I have had old batteries set weird codes. check battery and charging circuit, clear the codes and see if the TC code comes back. Also, is rodent damage to wiring a possibility?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I might ignore the other error for now- at the very least see if it repeats, and see if you can connect it to any other symptom or behavior in the car.
Depends on the OP's jurisdiction. In my jurisdiction, if the check engine light is on they will not even bother to test your car....it's an instant fail.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Depends on the OP's jurisdiction. In my jurisdiction, if the check engine light is on they will not even bother to test your car....it's an instant fail.
I don't know off hand if that P0743 even triggers the light. The light was already on for the P0420, so we can't tell how serious the other one is or when it occurred. Since there's already a battle to get the light out for inspection, this other thing might never matter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the tips....Yea, you cannot go to the smog place with an engine light on.....I had unplugged my battery before I went in before (not entirely being sneeky, I had just had some work done so I wanted to clear the codes that way) and the smog register said it could tell I had not driven 100 miles since I disconnected the battery. I reset the codes with this bluetooth diag and see if I can get 100 miles before the check engine light comes one. I will post up in a day or so. I am driving probably 80 miles today.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
yeah, they won't test if there are incomplete monitors.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
) - I think this error code is funny because since Vegas got legal for weed (I am not a partakers) Having an error code 420 for efficiency below threshold seems apropos. hahahahah
P0420 is unfortunately vague and common.
The Legal Weed affects Colorado the same way...far to common and vague.

Depends on the OP's jurisdiction.
Yes it does, in some places...most places, you go to jail.

yeah, they won't test if there are incomplete monitors.
Well if you get pulled over here, and you are suspected of 420, they test all of the monitors....

:21:

Ok, I am done with the weed jokes.

:smoke:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are funny! Ok, I guess just having the ability to reset the codes did the trick. I went over 100 miles today so I drove straight to the smog place and got my smog certificate. YAY!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts