Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 2.5L engine in my 1997 Legacy Outback has kicked the bucket all due to overheating. :confused: I know the EJ25s from '96-'99 are notorious for this and was wondering - is it possible to put a 2000 or newer 2.5L engine in my '97? If so, what would it entail?

I'd like to replace the engine and am under the impression that the issues were fixed in the newer years plus the newer year engines aren't as expensive. Please keep in mind that I want to put a 2.5L in the car, NOT the 2.2L. Yes, I know that this is the easier option but it is NOT what I want to do. Also, my engine is beyond salvage and rebuild so that is not an option. The reason I specify this is that I have asked this question on other forums and had people going off on odd, unhelpful tangents.

Not trying to be difficult - I'm just looking for a clear, straightforward answer. All help is appreciated!

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
with enough time and money, anything is possible, but th swap you are talking about is not a simple swap.

the 2.5L engine changed from phase 1 to phase 2 in 99 forester / 00 outback & GT. this line is a difficult one to swap over. not impossible but not for rookies. and it is usually easier to find an engine from your own year group.

·
Registered
'97 Outback stock - Well she was rolled 7/9/17 coming back from Savannah, Ga and totaled :-( Not I have an '07 Outback - not sure for how long though - would like an XT :-)
40 Posts
Have you entertained purchasing a JDM engine like: subaru ej25-de Dohc - $750.00 : Osaka JDM Auto, JDM Cars, JDM Motors, JDM Engines & JDM Parts, Imported Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) Engines for Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Subaru or JDM Engine - JDM Motors - JDM Parts - JDM Transmission - Honda Cars, Nissan, Subaru, Mazda, Toyota .
I've read that you can change over some sensors, and you're good to go. (Personally I would do a headgasket, timing belt, idler pulleys, water pump, etc. before installing the engine, but that would be my route if my engine goes south - again.)

Later, T.J.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
If you're considering that, might as well throw in a 2.0 turbo or 3.0 H6 in there. Both similar in MPG to the DOHC 2.5 but substantially more power. . . and neither has headgasket issues like even the 2nd gen 2.5's have.

But none of the 3 would be an easy swap. I've got complete donor cars laying around as well as good 1st gen bodies and I've yet to do it, mostly as I don't consider it to be a worthwhile swap for a 1st gen OB. I'd never recoup my investment and it's not got the "fun factor" to make it worth doing like something like an old hawkeye Impreza coupe or 2.5RS would. . . or even a BRAT for that matter :)

2.2 really is the way to go. You won't notice the alleged 30hp difference. Tell us *why* you're adverse to the 2.2 swap and maybe we can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just want to say thanks...

I appreciate all of the responses but I have found a wonderful deal on a 2.5L out of a '96. It's in great shape and the price was right. Again, thanks for all of the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts