Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 outback XT they came with Geo lander Avid GT Tires dealer tells me I need to replace them but there’s only 29,000 miles on them. How long should these tires last and any recommendations for replacements I live in the northeast. I do about 15k a year

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
121 Posts
OEM tires are cheap and light. Be thankful you got 30K out of them.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,421 Posts
Tire recommendations vary depending on what you want from them - if you want year-round performance in the northeast then look for tires with a three peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) rating as they will offer at least a little better winter performance than regular all-seasons without that rating, but the rubber will be softer.

If you are going to use winter tires then you could look for a tire that has more treadwear but a harder compound that would be terrible in winter but last longer in summer driving.

·
Registered
198 Posts
30k miles on OEM tires should be considered a victory.

That said, buy a tire tread gage and check the treads yourself. My dealer seems to have a special gage that reads 1/32" less than a real gage to facilitate sale of tire replacements. :rolleyes:

OTOH, if you live in a climate that is wet, cold, and/or snowy, even if the tires are over normal replacement point of 4/32" tread depth, this might be an opportune time to get some better tires anyway.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
372 Posts
I dumped my Yokohama Avid Tires after about 23,000 miles. They had some wear left but I was heading on a long road trip and needed good tires. I replaced the OE tires with Falken Wildpeak AT Trail tires. Way better for the gravel, dirt, sand and snow I frequently encounter.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,248 Posts
The OEM is Yokohama. Yokohama makes many excellent long lasting tires. Any and every tire Yokohama makes is "OEM" to your Outback. Even the tires that do not fit.

Perhaps the OE Yokohama Avid GT is not so long lasting?

Original Equipment Manufacturer. The manufacturer of the Original Equipment.

29,000 miles? Not so terribly bad. I'm more concerned you didn't know the tires might be in need of replacement until the dealer told you. I'm seeing dealers start shouting, "you need new tires!" at 5/32". Wear bars appear at 3/32". Northeast with winter coming? Might be better to buy tires sooner than later.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,647 Posts
The OEM is Yokohama. Yokohama makes many excellent long lasting tires. Any and every tire Yokohama makes is "OEM" to your Outback. Even the tires that do not fit.

Perhaps the OE Yokohama Avid GT is not so long lasting?

Original Equipment Manufacturer. The manufacturer of the Original Equipment.

29,000 miles? Not so terribly bad. I'm more concerned you didn't know the tires might be in need of replacement until the dealer told you. I'm seeing dealers start shouting, "you need new tires!" at 5/32". Wear bars appear at 3/32". Northeast with winter coming? Might be better to buy tires sooner than later.
Subaru recommends at least 5/32 tread for driving in snow. The OEM tires are nothing spectacular and I'm sure what most auto manufacturers have in mind when they install a tire like this from the factory is that they want it to get through most of an average lease. Don't expect too much more than that, OEM tires tend to use a very soft rubber compound that will ride well and generate little noise when new. Why? To increase the probability that someone will buy their car after a test drive.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
70 Posts
I have a 2020 outback XT they came with Geo lander Avid GT Tires dealer tells me I need to replace them but there’s only 29,000 miles on them. How long should these tires last and any recommendations for replacements I live in the northeast. I do about 15k a year
I'm not sure but I don't plan on my factory tires lasting that long after seeing how long our 18 Forester XT tires lasted when we bought it new. If I remember correctly it needed new tires at about 20k miles.

The factory Avid's on these do only have a 400 for treadwear rating. So not a very long lasting tire

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
383 Posts
The stock Yokohama Avid GTs are made for Subaru (they are not the Ascend Avid GT). Most on the forum who have reported say around 30K miles. From having worked in a tire shop years ago, anytime there is an OE spec tire on a car, they nearly all last less than 50K miles. You can measure tread depth to confirm. However, odds are pretty good that your dealer is correct; they likely need replacement.

If you do not run dedicated snow tires in winter, then I would at least recommend a snow rated all season tire. Michel CrossClimate 2 is a popular choice among Subaru owners. Yokohama and Falken also make snow rated all-season tires (Geolander and Wildpeak).

·
Premium Member
2022 Grey Outback Premium
374 Posts
The stock Yokohama Avid GTs are made for Subaru (they are not the Ascend Avid GT). Most on the forum who have reported say around 30K miles. From having worked in a tire shop years ago, anytime there is an OE spec tire on a car, they nearly all last less than 50K miles. You can measure tread depth to confirm. However, odds are pretty good that your dealer is correct; they likely need replacement.

If you do not run dedicated snow tires in winter, then I would at least recommend a snow rated all season tire. Michel CrossClimate 2 is a popular choice among Subaru owners. Yokohama and Falken also make snow rated all-season tires (Geolander and Wildpeak).

So I'm curious - what should someone buy for if they do teh avg 12k a year? Lots of miles tire? Or try to match milage to a 4-5yr cycle to keep dry rot worries to a minimum? (Ignoring all the things about if you do snow or rock crawling/mud bogging, or whatever)

·
Registered
22 Green Onyx Ordered May 28th. Built 7.21.21. Arrived Aug 4th
219 Posts

I love my Cooper Enduras, year round.
3 peak rated and had the in 18" of snow with no problems.
They just dont look like an "all tracton" tire.
Mileage is yet to be determined. They dont seem to wear.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
383 Posts
So I'm curious - what should someone buy for if they do teh avg 12k a year? Lots of miles tire? Or try to match milage to a 4-5yr cycle to keep dry rot worries to a minimum? (Ignoring all the things about if you do snow or rock crawling/mud bogging, or whatever)
Only focusing on mileage and ignoring any other quality someone might want in a tire, I would try to match mileage to a year based cycle. Tires definitely age and I have seen age related failure back when I worked on them. I would say more like 3 to 5 depending on environment, storage, and how regularly the vehicle is driven. I will also say the year range depends some on the tire. While I am not as familiar with current market tires since I have not sold/worked on them in years, certain rubber compounds seem to age worse than others. Reaching the advertised mileage on a tire is going to be dependent on how the car is driven and how well the tires are maintained (air pressure/rotations).

Personally, I generally buy the tire I want to meet the qualities I want more than a mileage target. This is partially driven by the fact that I typically need to replace tires due to age more than wear thanks to running two sets of wheels and tires (all seasons in spring through fall and dedicated snow tires in winter). Certainly all things equal, the milage warranty is a consideration, but all things are rarely equal.

For the Outback, I will be running Bridgestone Blizzaks (likely the DMV2 version) and next spring I will buy a set of Falken Wildpeak AT Trails. For my Crosstrek, winter is Bridgestone Blizzak (WS series; currently has WS70 on it, but I think they are on WS80 now) and the rest of the year it is on Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
383 Posts
I love my Cooper Enduras, year round.
3 peak rated and had the in 18" of snow with no problems.
They just dont look like an "all tracton" tire.
Mileage is yet to be determined. They dont seem to wear.
I ran Coopers for years, but with their recent acquisition by Goodyear (June 2021), I wonder if their quality will change. I have never viewed Goodyear as the hallmark of tire quality and it remains to be seen how they plan on positioning the Cooper brand moving forward.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,854 Posts
The tires I put on my 2011 were rated at 70-80k miles. I got 60k out of them then put on another set that saw another 20k before I traded it in. I drive 10-12k miles a year.

I run the same tires year-round and had no trouble in 10" of snow, 13" on the other hand. I've never bought winter tires, and while I live in NY, I don't live in the "concrete jungle", it's green where I live (from April to October anyway, then it's brown or white).

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
832 Posts
I replaced at 20K, OEMs suck. General 365 on 2019 and
Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

Quatro Pro on my 2020 XT.

Both are smooth and much quieter than OEM and a true all season for all year.
Handling is also superb !

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,421 Posts
This hasn't been mentioned yet but you might be better off not buying your tires from the dealer, if that's what you're considering.

@Discount Tire is a forum vendor and they have excellent prices and service, and a huge range of tires to choose from, if there is a physical location near you.

Reactions: TheNick

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,056 Posts
Keep in mind tire mileage ratings are based on wearing the tire tread down to 2/32" (the wear indicators).
However, we always see/hear recommendations to replace tires at 4/32" or less.
Not many drivers reach the claimed mileage life of tires.

OP should inspect their tires themself and make an educated decision on when to replace rather than just going by what the service center told them.
We want to trust our mechanics but remember they have no qualms about recommending maintenance sooner than needed. After all, it is arguably better for the car but not so much for the owner's bank account.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,421 Posts
4/32 = 2/16 =1/8" To me this is minimum and I start shopping before that, but to take advantage of pro-rated treadwear warranties you need to let it wear down to 2/32nds and have even wear or proof of tire rotations.

2/32 = 1/16" I would never let my tires have this little tread, so the only time a warranty applies to me is road hazard warranties if any. I'm not going to let my tires wear down that much just to save $40.00 or whatever the prorated tire life thing would get me.

That's one reason why people say tires don't last long - they don't keep them on the car until it's truly worn out, and for good reason.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,443 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts