Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Outback 2.5i 6MT
34 Posts
I looked into this at the end of 2017 because I found an Outback in British Columbia that I wanted to 'import' to Alaska. The BC dealer warned me about the TPMS thing. It sounded crazy, but I started researching. Yes, I could have brought the car into the US, but could not register it. I could find only one way to legally import the car for registration in Alaska: have a Subaru dealer install a TPMS in it. My local dealer/service center estimated ballpark 3K for this and said they had never done it. The high cost is because it has to be integrated into all sorts of built-in systems, electrical and computer. Not worth the cost and hassle.

I agree with rasterman -- sell it in Canada and buy a US car when you move here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I looked into this at the end of 2017 because I found an Outback in British Columbia that I wanted to 'import' to Alaska. The BC dealer warned me about the TPMS thing. It sounded crazy, but I started researching. Yes, I could have brought the car into the US, but could not register it. I could find only one way to legally import the car for registration in Alaska: have a Subaru dealer install a TPMS in it. My local dealer/service center estimated ballpark 3K for this and said they had never done it. The high cost is because it has to be integrated into all sorts of built-in systems, electrical and computer. Not worth the cost and hassle.

I agree with rasterman -- sell it in Canada and buy a US car when you move here.
Appreciate the advice...but its already imported and registered in the US

·
Premium Member
2014 Outback 2.5i 6MT
34 Posts
Appreciate the advice...but its already imported and registered in the US

Well done! Sorry, I missed your post #17 that said you had managed to import and register it. If you don't think it would put the 'loophole' at risk, could you explain how?

·
Registered
10 Forester
1 Posts
I am going through this exact same issue with my better half's 10 forester. The TPMS issue has stopped us dead in the water and we are only down in Pittsburgh for 1 year for medical training. Given the short amount of time we are there for i would rather not have to buy another vehicle.

I see you mention Forms HS7 box 2A and 3520-1 Code and said it was imported for personal use. I am EXTREMELY curious how this process worked as i am looking to duplicated it and save a whole lot of headaches. Any way to circumvent the TPMS requirement (which is ridiculous) is ideal.

Was hoping you could elaborate as to how this was done.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am going through this exact same issue with my better half's 10 forester. The TPMS issue has stopped us dead in the water and we are only down in Pittsburgh for 1 year for medical training. Given the short amount of time we are there for i would rather not have to buy another vehicle.

I see you mention Forms HS7 box 2A and 3520-1 Code and said it was imported for personal use. I am EXTREMELY curious how this process worked as i am looking to duplicated it and save a whole lot of headaches. Any way to circumvent the TPMS requirement (which is ridiculous) is ideal.

Was hoping you could elaborate as to how this was done.

Thanks
the TPMS stuff was irrelavent using the documents i listed...the letter from the manufacturer wasnt required and thus no one asks about anything about TPMS/safety...

if you're only leaving Canada for a year, you may not even need to import the car to the US since you're only temporarily moving on a 1yr visa (?). i would talk to my insurance provider to see if you can be covered for a year while you live in the US...

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My vehicle doesn't comply

Hey, "thebarber" I'm trying to import my own car from Canada, and the TPMS system and instrument cluster don't comply with standards, can you send me the information that you found on how to import. any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
update:

was able to import the car no problem for personal use.

actually, a guy from OH contacted me via my kijiji ad and gave me the run down on how to import to the US.

its registered, plated, and insured in Michigan
Hi Sir,

Can you please help me on how to go about this...I am in a similar situation with my 2012 subaru outback which has no OEM TPMS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks sir for your advice....do you still need to provide the manufacturer's compliance letter along with the completed HS7 & 3520-1 forms?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks thebarber......do I need to also present the OE manufacturers compliance letter along with HS7 & 3520-1 forms.
no, you won't. when i was importing ours, subaru of canada would not supply one. this combination of paperwork circumnavigates the need for a letter of compliance from the canadian manufacturer

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have some question regarding this, as I am looking at a car in Canada my self which is a 2010. I have spoke with a customs broker and they stated basically what everyone else has said. That the TPMS will need to be installed or you need a letter from the manufacture including the vin Did you drive the car across the boarder and just claim it in customs with the two forms that your stated?

I am assuming that you will also need the receipt or invoice from the dealership and the title/ownership papers.

Just walk across the boarder and have a location that the car from the dealership was waiting at. the issue is I am in Michigan and will have to get the car in Port Huron, The dealership is located in Toronto and can deliver it to the boarder. I do have a passport but just don't want to waiste my money and time if this is something that cannot be done. any insight would be great.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have some question regarding this, as I am looking at a car in Canada my self which is a 2010. I have spoke with a customs broker and they stated basically what everyone else has said. That the TPMS will need to be installed or you need a letter from the manufacture including the vin Did you drive the car across the boarder and just claim it in customs with the two forms that your stated?

I am assuming that you will also need the receipt or invoice from the dealership and the title/ownership papers.

Just walk across the boarder and have a location that the car from the dealership was waiting at. the issue is I am in Michigan and will have to get the car in Port Huron, The dealership is located in Toronto and can deliver it to the boarder. I do have a passport but just don't want to waiste my money and time if this is something that cannot be done. any insight would be great.
im in michigan, too.

you'll need to get the car to the border, a receipt of purchase, ontario ownership signed by the previous owner, those two documents i listed earlier (i forget what they are as i type this and i don't feel like digging up the info). if you're driving it back, you'll want proof of insurance as well.

i think that should do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, all this talk about importing is very helpful. One question though, do you need to EXPORT from Canada? That is, what is the process for going to Canada border services PRIOR to the import discussion? Or is there none?

·
Registered
1 Posts
update:

was able to import the car no problem for personal use.

actually, a guy from OH contacted me via my kijiji ad and gave me the run down on how to import to the US.

its registered, plated, and insured in Michigan

Hi,

Did you install TPMS? Did you install internal or external sensors and went the aftermarket route?

Do you have the contact details of the guy from Ohio and can he help me too?

Thanks,
Hari

21 - 38 of 38 Posts