Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 2 payments away from paying off my 2017 3.6r Outback with little less then 75k miles and I'm already looking at trading it in. Generally the car has been great but I do have a couple gripes about it for one the driver side leather cracked about a month ago and had to upgrade the battery to something way better maybe 6 months ago. No android auto, and I feel the tech is falling behind, adaptive cruise control and lane keep via Eyesight was cool in 2017 but is there better now? This is my second outback as my first one was a 2012 2.5 Manual Trans Limited with 110k miles that I traded in for this one.

The jump from the 2012 to the 2017 was significant. So I guess the question now is would I see that much of change if I decided to go from my 2017 to a 2022 top end model? SoA keeps sending me these trade up offers for $22,050 for my car and it seems pretty **** enticing. I was offered less then 10k for my 2012 back in the day. But what I wondering if holding to another car note for another five years would justify the new car smell.

Also A separate question, has anyone traded there Subaru and got the same trade in value that SoA was offering going to a different vehicle? Also on my short list is the 2022 Toyota Tundra.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,063 Posts
There is a next-generation Eyesight starting in the 2023 model year, so if you get the 2022 model it's not significantly different than the one in your 2017. If they let you trade it for a 2023 it might make more sense.

Reactions: Duncan Heinz

·
Registered
116 Posts
I guess I am different from you. I'm not too fond of car payments. Your car has very few miles and has a minor problem. It doesn't make sense to me to trade, but consumers usually buy emotionally, not rationally. I am also conservative with my money; others are not—best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
751 Posts
It would be cheaper to have the seat cover replaced.
Better sit in the new ones and make sure your comfortable with the big screen layout. It sure is different from our generation. :unsure:
The jump from our '11 to '18 was significant also but don't see that big of a difference going to a '22 ~ '23.
Now the other side of my brain says "Life is short get one that's loaded" and enjoy. :discomonkey:
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1998 Outback Limited
260 Posts
New car fever might go away after you recover the seat and have no car payment! I replaced the cloth seat covers with <leatherseatcovers.com> on my old 2005 Ram. Felt like getting a new truck and ended up trading on my 2017 Ecodiesel at 300,000 miles. Those were awesome leather seat covers. may get them for my Ecodiesel. I get the "fever" when I drive past a dealer with a new Wilderness on the lot, but it quickly passes.

·
Registered
2016 Limited 3.6R
366 Posts
The seat repair will cost you less than a month's payment on the new OB. Heck, you could upgrade both front seats to real leather for less than two months of payments. As for the head unit, no it does not have Android Auto but who cares if the tech is "falling behind". You can't miss what you never had.

"But what I wondering if holding to another car note for another five years would justify the new car smell."
What you're asking is if the smell of freshly manufactured plastic is worth $6,000 a year over the next five years...

Reactions: LogicalPosition

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
238 Posts
I recommend looking at an aftermarket radio to bring the tech up to date. Upgrading the radio made my 2017 Outback and my wife's 2013 Grand Cherokee feel a lot more up to date.

If you do decide to trade it in, look at the KBB and NADA values before accepting an offer, especially from the Subaru trade-up program. Subaru values my car about $5k less than I can get from another brand dealership. The program values don't accurately reflect the current market conditions.

·
Registered
2014 2.5
118 Posts
I recommend looking at an aftermarket radio to bring the tech up to date. Upgrading the radio made my 2017 Outback and my wife's 2013 Grand Cherokee feel a lot more up to date.

If you do decide to trade it in, look at the KBB and NADA values before accepting an offer, especially from the Subaru trade-up program. Subaru values my car about $5k less than I can get from another brand dealership. The program values don't accurately reflect the current market conditions.
what radio did you go with? I am also a huge fan of not having a car payment, having the car paid off is amazing.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,808 Posts
Keep in mind that if you trade the 2017 3.6 for a newer car, you will not be able to have the 3.6 engine. The last year for those was 2019. Many people like the 2.4 turbo motor available as the Outback XT, XT Onyx Edition, or the Wilderness. It produces similar power and torque as did the 3.6, but as I understand, it is not a smooth as the 3.6.

Reactions: fendertweed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The seat repair will cost you less than a month's payment on the new OB. Heck, you could upgrade both front seats to real leather for less than two months of payments. As for the head unit, no it does not have Android Auto but who cares if the tech is "falling being". You can't miss what you never had.

"But what I wondering if holding to another car note for another five years would justify the new car smell."
What you're asking is if the smell of freshly manufactured plastic is worth $6,000 a year over the next five years...
I wasn't being literal about the "new car smell" comment :unsure:. Replacing the leathers seats with real leather doesn't sound half bad though, I've always had a impression that seat covers just look like crap but doing a little research and found a couple places here that will redo the whole seat for a price. As for the tech question, lol I have Android auto in all my cars and even my motorcycle just not in the outback! lol.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
238 Posts
what radio did you go with? I am also a huge fan of not having a car payment, having the car paid off is amazing.
I have a Kenwood DMX 9075S with an iDatalink Maestro RR in my car and another 9075S in my wife's Jeep with an RR2. I recommend getting the iDatalink Maestro RR2 instead of the RR. The RR2 can be reprogramed via an app on my phone without removing the module. I needed to take my new stereo out twice to tweak settings in my RR.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
135 Posts
I'm 2 payments away from paying off my 2017 3.6r Outback with little less then 75k miles and I'm already looking at trading it in. Generally the car has been great but I do have a couple gripes about it for one the driver side leather cracked about a month ago and had to upgrade the battery to something way better maybe 6 months ago. No android auto, and I feel the tech is falling behind, adaptive cruise control and lane keep via Eyesight was cool in 2017 but is there better now? This is my second outback as my first one was a 2012 2.5 Manual Trans Limited with 110k miles that I traded in for this one.

The jump from the 2012 to the 2017 was significant. So I guess the question now is would I see that much of change if I decided to go from my 2017 to a 2022 top end model? SoA keeps sending me these trade up offers for $22,050 for my car and it seems pretty **** enticing. I was offered less then 10k for my 2012 back in the day. But what I wondering if holding to another car note for another five years would justify the new car smell.

Also A separate question, has anyone traded there Subaru and got the same trade in value that SoA was offering going to a different vehicle? Also on my short list is the 2022 Toyota Tundra.
Having rented a 2021 OB for a week, I personally prefer 2015 thru 17 models especially 3.6 - I currently have 2.5. I guess I am an old timer and do not like all thrse on screen functions that require three four taps to get anything set. If I were to trade my 16 2.5, I would pick a 17 3.6 for sure :)

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
977 Posts
My ‘17 OB Touring has 35k miles on it now. I’m not even close to thinking about trading it, the existing systems make a couple of annual long trips a cinch (including one with 2 kayaks on the roof).

I deliberately chose the final year of normally aspirated 3.6, I’ve owned turbos before (beloved Saab 900 Turbo) but the 3.6 is part of the reason for buying/keeping. :unsure:

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R & 2005 Impreza sport 2020 Honda Passport
125 Posts
My ‘17 OB Touring has 35k miles on it now. I’m not even close to thinking about trading it, the existing systems make a couple of annual long trips a cinch (including one with 2 kayaks on the roof).

I deliberately chose the final year of normally aspirated 3.6, I’ve owned turbos before (beloved Saab 900 Turbo) but the 3.6 is part of the reason for buying/keeping. :unsure:
I used to have a few Saabs and their turbo cars were excellent. I had a couple of VW’s with turbos and they didn’t drive anywhere as good as the Saab did. We have a 18 Outback with the 3.6 with 37k and will never part with it. We also had a pos 18 VW Tiguan it was a turbo and it drove so bad that we traded it in for a 2020 Honda Passport. We love our 6 cylinder Engines. Both vehicles are paid for and no more car loans for us.

·
Premium Member
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
1,006 Posts
I wasn't being literal about the "new car smell" comment :unsure:. Replacing the leathers seats with real leather doesn't sound half bad though, I've always had a impression that seat covers just look like crap but doing a little research and found a couple places here that will redo the whole seat for a price. As for the tech question, lol I have Android auto in all my cars and even my motorcycle just not in the outback! lol.
If your OB is in otherwise really good condition, replacing the seats or seat covers may be a surprisingly reasonable option. There are a lot of options out there for your seats, so it may be worth the effort to do your homework. Best case scenario would be to visit an upholstery shop that has a few seats in their showroom that have been recovered or rebuilt so you can sit on them. It sucks to drop up to a few grand on reupholstered seats, and discover that they're worse than the originals....

The 3.6r engine has an almost legendary following in Outback World, and I can see why. While I've only driven a '19 OB 3.6 for a short test drive with a clown Subaru salesman, I noticed that the 3.6r really matches up well with the CVT, no turbo needed, just a nice amount of torque. No drama - just nudge the accelerator, and it moves right along.

If you have a decent ride, and you like your OB, give this some thought. Look at it this way; cars are about the worse investment you can make, and the only way you can come out ahead of the game is to run your ride until it's not financially viable to keep driving it. With the current economic insanity particularly in the new & used car market, if I had a decent ride that was about to be paid off, I'd sit tight with it for awhile. YMMV.

If you decide to buy another vehicle, DON'T trade your OB in - sell it to Carmax. You'll do a lot better on what you're offered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After thinking about it for a bit, I'm going to follow the advice most of you have put in here. So I'll be keeping the OB for a few more years, I did just order a Kenwood DNR1007XR so at least I can get Android Auto Wireless and a better map GPS system. I'll probably put that in this coming weekend when it comes in.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
5,225 Posts
After thinking about it for a bit, I'm going to follow the advice most of you have put in here. So I'll be keeping the OB for a few more years, I did just order a Kenwood DNR1007XR so at least I can get Android Auto Wireless and a better map GPS system. I'll probably put that in this coming weekend when it comes in.
Probably the wisest choice, and the best thing about going that route is that you can always change your mind at any time. Six months or a year from now you can always move on to something else. But if you went new right now you are stuck with the choice and likely can't get your 2017 back again. In my 2.5 years without payments I haven't ever regretted keeping my 2017, but I know at any time I could upgrade if the mood strikes me.

My current plan is leaning towards keeping mine for another 5 years, which will be when I will also be retiring. At that time my vehicle needs will probably be quite a bit different and I can determine then what I want to buy. In the mean time I will keep making those monthly payments into my savings account.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts