Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I’m new to the forums here, I just bought my First 2003 Outback Subaru for $500 and at the time it didn’t run because the power steering pump was seized up and it broke the belt so I went to the salvage yard and bought a used power steering pump for $40 and now it runs grate but 1 out 20 times I go to start it, it just clicks and no go I have a new battery in it as well so I know that’s not the problem and I checked all the ground wires and they look ok. I’m not a mechanic but I can turn a wrench and don’t want to shell out that much cash if that’s not the problem. I can get started when it does it if I jump it. Then it will start fine for another 19 times then it will do it again :crying: what do you all think?

Thanks in advance :grin2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had misc starting problems with outbacks/Leg's

Before you replace things, check that your battery is in fact "Good" put a DMM on it and check the voltage when it won't start. If it drops below 10 under load your battery is no good. If the battery voltage is good check the voltage right at the starter and ensure that under load it is not dropping too much as well. If you don't have the voltage the starters can get "stuck" and won't turn.

Another thing is check that you are getting good voltage to the solenoid, a bad connection can cause massive voltage drop and the solenoid will "click" but not have enough jam(amperage/volts) to engage. Can be caused by small wires, bad connection, or kind of a flat spot on a starter. I had this on one car because I did a 5 speed swap and the factory wiring was not large enough to power the solenoid, so I added a relay and it was never a problem again.

If you are able to jump it every time that indicates to me a voltage issue. Because if the starter was the problem adding extra voltage should not fix that and allow it to start.

I found a weak battery or connection can show up when a starter is in a position where it needs a little bit extra jam than normal to get going.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
Yeah it’s a 2.5
if you are looking for used starters.

automatic and manual trans starters are different.

and the manual has a narrower bunch of years to look for. (so look up the part # and all the cars it went in before hunting).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my 03 H6.
Is the starter, or better yet, the fix, different?
See my above reply.
Feel free to replace the starter if you want. But if its not the problem you are wasting your time. Proper diagnosis will help more than throwing parts at it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my 03 H6.
Is the starter, or better yet, the fix, different?
nope, just make sure you are getting power to it, give it couple taps while someone is turning the key and then find a different starter.

(my H4 2.5 auto now has a 1996 starter in it from a subaru sinking into the mud,..and parked there for like 10 years).

... sad thing was I did not have one bad start in my car before that. 113,000 miles,
...glad it was at a mechanics shop at the time, and not in a parking lot 100 miles from home)

·
Registered
2003 obw base 2.5
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: l’v been holding off on working on the starter till I get it to pass emissions but one day I got fed up with it and I kept trying the key and it did start ( click-click-click-start) I found if I keep trying the key it will start with out fail

1 - 11 of 11 Posts