Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Outback started vibrating indicating an out of balance tire. I was due for a rotate and balance so I took it into my tire man today. He checked the right front (which is where I thought it was coming from) and it was right on. Took off the right read and told me he had found the problem. Seems that mud had settled in the wheel when parked and solidified. He put it on the balancer and it was 4 oz off. Same on the left rear but only 2 oz. off. Cleaned them both out and they checked out fine. Got back on the road my old smooth ride was back. Like I said, never heard of this but as I live on a gravel road I am going to have to check this more often.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5 5speed
192 Posts
I get that if I drive my Jeep through a lot of mud. I have had the same thing happen with snow and ice. Now you know what to look for.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5MT Ltd.
81 Posts
strange, i've had this happen to every car i've ever owned at least once a year. I'm surprised this isn't a common thing.

·
Registered
13 blk Outback 2.5i cvt AW package, bunch of other OEM accessories...12 blk F350 6.2 gasser 4x4...10 Goldwing red nav ...04 JD 4510 loader/bhoe
77 Posts
It's not just an OB wheel thing

Happened on every 4 wheeled vehicle I have owned. Have not yet hit the mud season here:( every year is different, depends on winter temps snowfall amounts, how dry/wet the fall was, etc. It's the worst season around here. Some years the cars park 2.5 miles away and either walk in or have an ATV taxi waiting. Mud does a job on the entire suspension, braking system and every bushing, bearing it consumes.

The same thing happens in the snow also.you drive through deep snow, it gets into your rims, freezes on them over night and in the am its vibration central:confused:

Yup, mud season is just weeks out and lasts for a month as the roads don't thaw all at the same time, sun/ shade elevation etc.

Wash those rims as often as possible this time of year

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, Ice Silver and 2020 Outback Limited XT Cinnamon Brown
122 Posts
First time I drove our new 2013 after a big snow storm had same problem. Except it was worse because it was all four wheels that were out of balance from snow and ice packed into the holes in the wheels. Had to stop and knock the snow out with snow brush because my teeth were rattling.

This is unrelated to original posters problem but has anyone else had trouble with snow and ice building up in the back wheel wells and then breaking off and getting jammed between the tire and the back fender? Again I had to stop the car and knock it out. I thought it was going to damage the fender it was rubbing so bad. Not a lot of clearence between wheel and fender and the shape of the opening seems to encourage ice to get jammed in there.

Great car though. Sorry we waited so long to buy one.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Never seen My Cousin Vinny I gather.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
342 Posts
First time I drove our new 2013 after a big snow storm had same problem. Except it was worse because it was all four wheels that were out of balance from snow and ice packed into the holes in the wheels. Had to stop and knock the snow out with snow brush because my teeth were rattling.

This is unrelated to original posters problem but has anyone else had trouble with snow and ice building up in the back wheel wells and then breaking off and getting jammed between the tire and the back fender? Again I had to stop the car and knock it out. I thought it was going to damage the fender it was rubbing so bad. Not a lot of clearence between wheel and fender and the shape of the opening seems to encourage ice to get jammed in there.

Great car though. Sorry we waited so long to buy one.
I have this problem yearly. I carry a sawed off broom handle in the back storage area. It clears the ice and packed snow out easily and the rounded handle end doesn't damage anything despite the heavy handed poking around.
Many folks here use a set of winter wheels in 16 inch size for the added clearance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts