Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5I, 2001 Outback H4 5 speed (RIP)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 2nd Subie, a 2001 H4 m/t with 171k miles. Car drives great, but after the 2 hour trip home was making some noise when decelerating. I can't tell if it's the trans, front diff, or something else. Got quieter after cooling down, and is louder in gear than with the clutch in. Really hoping I didn't get stuck with a crap trans. How can I tell for sure what's happening?Fluid looks full and doesn't smell burnt. No other noises that I can hear, just decelerating or coming to a stop. Bearings, diff, whole trans and diff assembly? Testing options? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,333 Posts
if in neutral there's noise with the clutch engaged, that goes away when you press the pedal down - that might point to the input shaft's bearing going out.

others here have more experience and might be able to narrow the problem down if you could post a link to a sound file/video.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,960 Posts
Front diff would tend to be noise while accelerating, quiet while coasting.

I'd check a few noisy-center-diff-bearing threads, I think they make noise when coasting.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5I, 2001 Outback H4 5 speed (RIP)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try to get a video shot soon. I have noticed there is no noise over 40, basically just 20-0. It is quieter if I put it in neutral. Only starts being noticeable after the car warms up (driving 20-30 minutes or more). No noise while accelerating. If I leave it in gear while slowing down, it's loud.

Thanks for the input so far guys. I will try to get a recording asap.

I'm thinking I'll change the fluid, is there something that works best in these? I feel like I read a thread that someone had really good luck with a certain brand of gear oil, but for the life of me I can't find the thread.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,333 Posts
lots of discussions on fluids for the MTs . The Subaru stuff is probably fine, most name brand GL-5 NON-synthetics would be fine. Some folks like 'cocktails' of several fluids, etc. There's a very inexpensive semi-synthetic from WalMart that some folks claim is good. Some synthetics lead to clashing due to synchros spinning TOO well.

Right now, I have amsoil severe gear in my WRX, it seems good - best I think that I've tried is Redline LW Shockproof.

many fans of Motul around

Since the front diff in our Outback got a little quieter with RL LW Shockproof, you could try that, but the thing is, NO fluid is gonna fix a broken part.

In Wisconsin, you want to stay with something that will flow on January mornings so, my limited experience may not be helpful.

there is a magnet on the trans drain plug. It sits next to the front diff - if it has 'pieces' on it - probably too late to worry about fluid brands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts