Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my "new" 02 replaced only the 2 front tires before trading it in. Therefore the front tires are literally brand new, while the rears are decent, but more than 2/32 difference.

I know that I have to have matching tires. So I want to change the rears soon.

However, the new fronts are Dunlop Signatures (which I found out are being phased out and replaced by Dunlop Signature II's).

I called Tire rack and they have some old Signatures left in stock, but advised me that if I need a replacement of the old style, they will be hard to come by.

The new style (Signature IIs) are essentially the same tires as the old ones except the tread is quieter and the rubber will last longer. And are cheaper than the old Signatures. (If you look on their website, you can compare them)

What to do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
one option, IF the rears are also Dunlop Signatures, have BOTH the new tires shaved down to match the rears.

(not an ideal solution if the tire shaving is expensive)

also, shop ebay and craigslist for tires that match the rears?

·
Registered
12,304 Posts
1. Buy the new signature II's and be done with it.
2. Run the current tires as-is and the fronts are going to quickly wear down and close that already small gap. Over inflate the rears and underinflate the fronts just a tad to compensate if you wish.
3. Install the FWD fuse and remove it in a few months once the tires match.

If you chose option 1 - talk to me and I'll buy your two old tires - sounds like they'd be the perfect match for my daily driver at the moment. My email is my username here @yahoo.com

If you're 02 is a VDC model (H6 VDC) then it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I looked into a comparison of the two tires, and there is a difference in the tread design and tread width.

I mentioned the issue with the tires to my mechanic and he said if it were him, since the fronts are brand new, he'd get the old design because they are exact matches. It's not worth a new trans.

I'd rather not run it in FWD since we get a bad winter here in NEPA. I also looked into shaving and it doesnt seem very cost effective.

I may just call Dunlop directly. Besides Tire Rack, any other good tires sites. The shipping is what I worry about.

·
Registered
12,304 Posts
Tread design and width are non-issues. "Not worth a new trans" is apocalyptic back seat driver terminology for "I really don't know specifically so I'll rely on this anecdote". Which is fine, that works too. But let's at least call it out, I'm a fan of truth that allows folks to make their own decisions, not anecdotes that aren't entirely true and get spread around to armchair quarter backs.

Mechanics tend to give (rightly so - I do as well when talking to folks about anything other than Subarus) more generic pre-canned one-size-fits all answers. Folks that have spent decades with Subaru's, swapping, repairing, rebuilding, tearing apart transmissions can speak directly to an owner, a vehicle, even a particular year engine/trans and offer real world practicality.

Tread pattern alone causing trans failure is almost comedic and shouldn't be considered truth. "not taking the risk" is probably a more accurate sentiment...if you don't want to take on a 0.000000000000001 % risk, that holds water where as "failure" in this case, simply does not. I'm not guessing or passing along something I heard or learned in a class.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I looked into a comparison of the two tires, and there is a difference in the tread design and tread width.

I mentioned the issue with the tires to my mechanic and he said if it were him, since the fronts are brand new, he'd get the old design because they are exact matches. It's not worth a new trans.

I'd rather not run it in FWD since we get a bad winter here in NEPA. I also looked into shaving and it doesnt seem very cost effective.

I may just call Dunlop directly. Besides Tire Rack, any other good tires sites. The shipping is what I worry about.

Do you have a Discount Tire in town? I've had great luck with them locally.

NTB would be another source I guess.

ROLLING circumference needs to be the same and different widths and different sidewall stiffness throw in more variables than I'd want to try to guess at.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I would recommend buy 2 of the old style stock which is identical in all ways to the 2 new ones you already have. Then in 50k go tire shopping again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
bheinen74
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing