Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2005, Outback, 2.5 DOHC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my 2005 Subaru Outback XT up and running with a rebuilt long block, new turbo and heads. Overall the installation went well. I initially had some issues with the Temp Sensor and resolved it by running new set of wires from the sensor to the bulk head connector. Not to sure how I got the fault, as I was super careful with the wire harness, and double checked it while I replaced the Temp Sensor wires.

Currently, I am unable to get the car started. Upon turning the key to the ON position, the gauges sweep as normal, the car beeps, and the dash lights flash. I can clearly hear the fuel pump prime. As I turn the key, it cranks for three-four seconds and then starts to sputter and cough. It will not start.

The check engine light does come on, along with the AWD, Cruise(flashes), My code reader displays 6 codes
- P0123: Throttle Position Sensor/Switch 'A' Circuit High Input
- P0108: Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit
- P0223: Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch 'B' Circuit High Input
- P2016: OBD-II Trouble Code: Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low Bank
- P2021: Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low Bank 2
- P2011: OBD-II Trouble Code: Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Open Bank 2

I checked the air intake, vacuum lines, and all sensors and plugs. I have fuel in my in lines. I confirmed spark, by pulling plug #3(drivers, front) and checked it for spark. It was covered with black fuel and did spark.

At this point I am considering removing the radiator to double check the timing belt. However, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations or suggestions from the forum members.

Brett

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,812 Posts
some ideas;

clear the codes with a scanner or neg. batt. terminal disconnect.

re-check all ground connections

check for good battery voltage

start with pedal held to the floor - that is the 'clear flood' signal for the ECU and it will withold fuel in case the cylinders are flooded.

maybe crank with while spraying some starter fluid in the intake?

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,425 Posts
DOUBLE/TRIPLE check that you re-connected all the plugs. It sounds like the intake manifold wiring harness is not plugged in. Every one of your codes is intake related.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
Double check your coil connector positions: gray plugs on the front cylinder coils, black plugs to the rear cylinder coils.

But check the intake manifold harness connector (large, square plug) is seated fully. But the TGV and IAC motor codes I'm sure are harness related (unless you've deleted the TGVs).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,473 Posts
updated thread title...."05 XT" added. ...in a effort to attract the "turbo gang" with a gen3 thread title with XT in it.

edit: @traildogck

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,686 Posts
Fuel. Compression. Spark.

One or more of these three. You've told us about fuel and spark; anyone here think he ought to also be checking compression? It's a pretty simple test.

·
Registered
2005, Outback, 2.5 DOHC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
start with pedal held to the floor - that is the 'clear flood' signal for the ECU and it will withold fuel in case the cylinders are flooded.

maybe crank with while spraying some starter fluid in the intake?
I completed the first three suggestions prior to the post. I then attempted the 'clear flood' and starter fluid.

No luck!

·
Registered
2005, Outback, 2.5 DOHC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Double check your coil connector positions: gray plugs on the front cylinder coils, black plugs to the rear cylinder coils.

But check the intake manifold harness connector (large, square plug) is seated fully. But the TGV and IAC motor codes I'm sure are harness related (unless you've deleted the TGVs).
I confirmed that the coil connectors and manifold harness are plugged in correctly. I went completed through the engine and checked every single harness.

·
Registered
2005, Outback, 2.5 DOHC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could it be....Cam Sensor or Timing?

I had a mechanic come over to review my work and double check everything with me. I just needed new eyes on this project. He too is stumped.

I know that I have fuel and spark. Yes, all the codes point to the air intake.

However, could I have a Cam Sensor or timing issue? I used the cam sensor from the heads I got from a wrecking yard. I broke the retaining clip on one of my original cam sensors.

The long block was rebuilt by a very reputable machine shop that specializes in engine rebuild and cylinder head services. Subaru motors are their most popular items...I just can't see that misaligned the timing. Sadly I failed to double check it was I installed the rebuilt long block.

Thanks for all your help and input on this issue.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
More times than I'd like to admit, I've forgotten to plug the throttle actuator plug back in. You know. The one that's under the intercooler and impossible to get to without removing it. Yah that one.

But I'd start with the engine harness plug itself. Make sure the thing is completely seated together. It's a pain sometimes to get that lever to click all the way down. I'd unplug it and double check the connections to make sure nothing is bent or damaged inside on both sides. Triple check even.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,146 Posts
The brown one?

hahah...

Reactions: baj98

·
Registered
2005, Outback, 2.5 DOHC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked all wires and plugs...yes both wires are plugged in under the inner cooler and at the throttle body.

I am going to schedule an appointment at the local shop. I feel like I am running circles with this car.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,812 Posts
if you clear the codes, do they all come back???

I have had 'spurious' codes set from bad batteries but, the observation above about the intake commonality seems quite specific.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,146 Posts
I bet there is a pinch somewhere. I did this once, once ... I checked the continuity from the head of the engine harness to the connector side one one of my 2005 harnesses. The harness I did a bunch of splicing work. Every single pin.

BTW, the work you did, was it soldered connections? I found after I did that, it's not recommended. It can mess with the wire resistance and cause fatigue points.

A shop is going to be at the wits end just like you. They will have you replacing harnesses and modules as they guess away.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
Probably a typo, but #3 is NOT a front cylinder...

It DOES sound like a timing issue at this point, but double-check the fuel line hook-ups are not reversed at the intake nor fuel pressure regulator. If reversed, you can still get fuel, but it'll be near zero pressure. Usually causes poor running or coughing on start-up. Especially on the odd, "divorced regulator" setup on the 2005 OBXT/LGT.

You can pull the L and R covers and crank sensor to check timing marks (no need to pull the rad or balancer). Does the motor crank funny? Like it's off balance or have a cyclic sound?

·
Registered
2005, Outback, 2.5 DOHC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BTW, the work you did, was it soldered connections? I found after I did that, it's not recommended. It can mess with the wire resistance and cause fatigue points.
Why, of course I soldered and heat shrink wrap. As I was doing it, I considered if act could cause any issues. I tried to keep the temp low and gave myself plenty of room...seems like I continually learn the hard way!

They will have you replacing harnesses and modules as they guess away.
Yes, this is a big concern. I am already over $5,000 in to this project with the rebuild, turbo and heads. Crazy money for an 2005, but the car was just too nice to abandoned.

Thanks

·
Registered
2005, Outback, 2.5 DOHC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can pull the L and R covers and crank sensor to check timing marks (no need to pull the rad or balancer).
Family life kept me away from the outback yesterday; however, tonight I am going to pull the covers to double check the timing.

Does the motor crank funny? Like it's off balance or have a cyclic sound?
The motor sounds normal when it cranks. Just not totally turning over. I checked the fuel lines at the air intake(right side), but not the left! So, this too will be inspected tonight.

Thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,473 Posts
The motor sounds normal when it cranks. Just not totally turning over.
jump it from a known good battery or a wall charger. ... check battery wires / terminals ends.

Reactions: baj98

·
Registered
2005, Outback, 2.5 DOHC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can pull the L and R covers and crank sensor to check timing marks (no need to pull the rad or balancer).
Family life kept me away from the outback yesterday; however, tonight I am going to pull the covers to double check the timing.

Does the motor crank funny? Like it's off balance or have a cyclic sound?
The motor sounds normal when it cranks. Just not totally turning over. I checked the fuel lines at the air intake(right side), but not the left! So, this too will be inspected tonight.

Thanks

·
Registered
2005, Outback, 2.5 DOHC
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still no start...Timing Checked and New Wire Harness

So, the epic journey continues with this rebuild. I double checked the timing on Saturday and then installed a new wire harness on Sunday...same, same. I still get the air intake codes; however, the cranking sounds a bit better, but will not turn over.

Here is a link to a short youtube video that I uploaded:

Would love some more suggestions!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts