Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2009 3.0R last week with 33K miles on it and took it on its first road trip this weekend. I had an '02 with the 2.5L, but was never very happy with the performance. The 3.0, however, has plenty of power.

One question, and I think I know the answer already, but does the 3.0 engine have a tendency to heat up during longer climbs? I don't remember my '02 doing that. My immediately previous vehicle (Jetta Sportwagen) would hit the middle of the engine temp gauge and never move, regardless of load and conditions. I noticed that the 3.0 temp gauge had a tendency this weekend to creep up towards the second bold mark on the temp gauge (when under "normal" driving it was a little less than halfway up the gauge). Now, granted, I had 3 people in the car, two mountain bikes on the roof, had the AC running, it was over 90 degrees outside, and we were climbing at between 3000 and 6000 feet in elevation. I've read that the boxer engines can run hot under these or similar conditions. Coolant level looks good once the vehicle cools off. Not a big worry, just wondering. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
The H6 is shoe-horned into the engine bay, so yes...they can run hot when pushed.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R; 2016 VW Jetta SEL 1.8T; 2002 VW Passat GLX V6 4Motion
47 Posts
Just bought a 2009 3.0R last week with 33K miles on it and took it on its first road trip this weekend. I had an '02 with the 2.5L, but was never very happy with the performance. The 3.0, however, has plenty of power.

One question, and I think I know the answer already, but does the 3.0 engine have a tendency to heat up during longer climbs? I don't remember my '02 doing that. My immediately previous vehicle (Jetta Sportwagen) would hit the middle of the engine temp gauge and never move, regardless of load and conditions. I noticed that the 3.0 temp gauge had a tendency this weekend to creep up towards the second bold mark on the temp gauge (when under "normal" driving it was a little less than halfway up the gauge). Now, granted, I had 3 people in the car, two mountain bikes on the roof, had the AC running, it was over 90 degrees outside, and we were climbing at between 3000 and 6000 feet in elevation. I've read that the boxer engines can run hot under these or similar conditions. Coolant level looks good once the vehicle cools off. Not a big worry, just wondering. Thanks!
Congrats on the new H6!! I'd love to have a Gen 3 Outback H6. We love our new-to-us 2003 2.5, but I agree with your comment...it's not the quickest thing on the road. I've never driven an H6, but would love to compare the difference some day.

- Jeremy.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R; 2016 VW Jetta SEL 1.8T; 2002 VW Passat GLX V6 4Motion
47 Posts
Also, what engine was in your Jetta SW? We have two Jetta sedans with the 2.5 and they've been stellar in terms of reliability. We considered getting a new SW TDI, but decided to go the used route instead.

- Jeremy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts