Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

New the this forum but not new to Subaru or forums in general. My Fiancee and I just purchased a '17 Outback Limited in Crystal Black Silica w/ EyeSight package and remote start. Car was purchased to replace her '08 Tricecca Limited that has been in her family since new. This will be her daily drive and the family road trip vehicle.

I daily a '13 Ford F-150 and the weekend toy is a '15 Yamaha FJ09

Couple questions on the new vehicle:

- There appears to be condensation in the HID housing (Pic below). Is this normal for HIDs? Should I take it back to the dealer? Pull a bulb and let it dry out? Let me know your thoughts and if anyone else has experienced this.

- The factory oil fill appears to be ~1/4" - 1/2" over the full mark on the dipstick (pic below). Was this done intentionally or should I drain some off? Only thing I could imagine is that they expect some oil consumption during engine break-in and for that reason overfill.

- General question - on the remote start, is there a way to NOT have the car shut off when you unlock and open the door? Many other remote start systems you can unlock, then push the brake pedal with the fob in the car and press start to continue running. Seems dumb that it shuts off and you need to restart. Another start cycle = more engine wear.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

As threads are useless without pics:

Attachments

Reactions: Subiesweatt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frankly, I would simply take it back to the dealer and have them deal with your issues as it is under warranty.
I will be doing this, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,603 Posts
Normal for the oil.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
224 Posts
My 17 2.5 was overfilled as well, probably about half an inch or more. I just hit 4000 miles and it was reading between full and add. I changed the oil and am going to start tracking usage. I wouldn't worry about it. Seems to be common.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
434 Posts
The shutting off in regards to the remote start have been discussed on here at length. Coming from GM products that stay running, I too find this odd and don't really like it. But there is nothing you can do except there are some threads where owners have disabled the driver door switch by physical means to prevent it from shutting off but then security lights stay on or something. I figured it was a way for Subaru to save gas as I find that I tend not to use it as much as my GM cars as you have stated, to prevent wearing out the starter.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The oil level dip-stick image - Is that the high side reading or low side reading? Asking as one side reads higher than the other and you have to ensure that the oil level on the lower side is at the full point. Hence one side will always read high.......

Reactions: ammcinnis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Normal for the oil.
Thanks

My 17 2.5 was overfilled as well, probably about half an inch or more. I just hit 4000 miles and it was reading between full and add. I changed the oil and am going to start tracking usage. I wouldn't worry about it. Seems to be common.
Thanks, appreciate the reply

The shutting off in regards to the remote start have been discussed on here at length. Coming from GM products that stay running, I too find this odd and don't really like it. But there is nothing you can do except there are some threads where owners have disabled the driver door switch by physical means to prevent it from shutting off but then security lights stay on or something. I figured it was a way for Subaru to save gas as I find that I tend not to use it as much as my GM cars as you have stated, to prevent wearing out the starter.
Thanks for the reply on this - seems like a extremely poor implementation of remote start. We won't be using it often since this is the case. We don't need it enough to start modifying the door sensor or even bypass with Velcro as I've read.

The oil level dip-stick image - Is that the high side reading or low side reading? Asking as one side reads higher than the other and you have to ensure that the oil level on the lower side is at the full point. Hence one side will always read high.......
Both sides read about the same. One way maybe a 32nd of a inch lower. Both were registering overfilled.

Dealer apt Wednesday

So no one else with the condensation in the headlight housing?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
For one, you have a halogen bulb in a projector housing, not an HID projector. To me it looks fine with no condensation, just the light casting a shadow on the inside of the housing. Do you see any signs of water after a hard rain or car wash?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For one, you have a halogen bulb in a projector housing, not an HID projector. To me it looks fine with no condensation, just the light casting a shadow on the inside of the housing. Do you see any signs of water after a hard rain or car wash?
It's not a shadow. It's visible with the light on or off.

Car will be going in to the dealer today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Dealer said that they've never seen condensation like that and are replacing the housings.

They also agreed that the oil was overfilled and siphoned a bit to bring to the correct level. I will monitor for break in consumption.

Moral of the story - If something doesn't seem right it probably isn't.

Reactions: phgunr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For one, you have a halogen bulb in a projector housing, not an HID projector
FYI from the window sticker (attached).... they ARE HIDs.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
if 1/2" over on low side, it's too high

If that's the low side of the stick, then 1/2"over is too much.
I went through the oil level thing a while back, and I
concluded that dealers often overfill as your pic shows.
I think they want to error on the high side, and don't want
to be checking the stick all the time.

But I eventually decided that this can be harmful,
and that the instructions on filling mean what they say.
So I will not put up with more than 1/4" over the
full mark on the low side of the stick.
(the high side includes effects of surface tension)
If you want to siphon some oil buy a siphon with strong suction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As a final follow up to this:

Car went in to have headlight replaced today. A crack was identified in the housing, new housing installed.

Additionally, with 3k miles there was an audible rattle from the eyesight housing that was addressed also.

Overall, we are happy with the vehicle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.