Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback base
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2001 recently. Less than 140k miles on it and it looks and drives well. I'm joining up here because I read several good bits of info already on the site and will likely be back for more.

So far have had to fix a sticky handle in the rear door (saw lots of info about this online and a nice youtoob video--able to remove the handle (with just one busted knuckle) and remove rust so that it works fantastic!) and a gas leak on a rubber fuel line in engine compartment (smelled like raw gas in interior with heater on at stop light--also appears to be a known issue with these in cold climates and so able to identify problem and to fix pretty easily by tightening loose clamps on hose). We'll see what other surprises it has.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 5 speed, 2000 Outback Automatic, 2002 Legacy Wagon Automatic. All 2.5L
269 Posts
Welcome to Gen2baru ownership :smile2:

·
Registered
2001 Outback base
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other 'new owner' repairs and plans include getting the antenna to retract again (thanks to eagleeye's advice) and getting ready to put some lift supports on the rear hatch (the old ones kind of keep it up, but just barely). I am considering replacing the fuel line hose and clamps where it was leaking, but I haven't seen or smelled any new gas leaks from there so I'm tempted not to do so.

And I assume that the timing belt was replaced when it was due to be (the previous owner mentioned that she had done all the prescribed services when they were due, but couldn't confirm anything about the timing belt replacement). She tended to get most of her service at the dealer where she bought the car and so I am hoping they have records on this. I am not skilled or courageous enough to replace the belt myself, but in case the dealer has no info, does anyone know if it's easy to access and inspect the belt to determine if it's been replaced recently?

Also, I am waiting for the next needed oil change to bring it in and have a mechanic go over the car to make sure all is in as good of shape as it seems to be, but do others have any advice on things that I should be thinking about on a near 140k mile Outback or that I may be able to inspect myself?

·
Registered
2001 Outback base
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just checked with the dealer and the oldest record is at 109k (for an oil change) and all older records were "purged" from their computers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just checked with the dealer and the oldest record is at 109k (for an oil change) and all older records were "purged" from their computers.
Carfax should have them.

Congrats on the purchase, i just got a 2001 base myself, 5speed though. What color?

·
Registered
2001 Outback base
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s green! Congrats to you too! So far I can’t be happier with the purchase.

I got a carfax report and it contained older records from the dealer shop but no records of a timing belt change. I will check with the previous owner to see if she’s been able to find older records she may have kept or just wait to see if someone can check the condition of th belt.

And now one other thing I’m trying to deal with is the driver’s side door lock. I finally attempted using a key in the lock and it doesn’t turn either way. All keys, including the originals, open all other keyed locks, just not the driver’s side. The key goes all the way in. I’ve tried different positions (not all the way in, etc.) by doesn’t want to budge. Used some lithium spray and then some penetrating spray but nothing works. Previous owner didn’t mention this and so I assume she always used the fob to open doors. Not a big deal, but frustrating all the same.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,222 Posts
many dealers only replaced rubber timing belts, some would do whole kits like they "should" have. either proceedure could be detailed on a list as a "tiiming belt job"

the rubber belt can out last a set of bad pulleys/ idler / tensioner, and if one of those siezes it can blow / break a new belt. (such things do happen on cars here with 140,000 or so on the timing belt kit,...or faster with aftermarket chineses junk.

best advice:

get a japanese made Aisin kit and swap it on, subaru water pumps last forever, so if the kit or OEM parts you get does not have one it is no matter.

_____

other things: NGK plugs and wires. (double plat plugs are cheap as they are so small on this car,.... subaru OEM coils last 200,000 miles, so don't replace that, and aftermarkets just cause problems...OEM says "subaru" in a small stamp on the front..)

OEM thermostat, OEM rad cap, OEM PCV valve. ...= subaru has no listed change out date or

Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts