Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Outback owners. I just purchased a used 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited w/ 40k miles on it. I didnt purchase a warranty, but i did get them to give me 90 days to go through the car and they would repair anything that was wrong with it.

Can you give me some tips on what i should have my mechanic look for?

It has Continental tires on it, so i imagine they're factory? Based on what i'm hearing it doesnt sound like they're very good and at 40k im guessing they're ready to go. They didnt look bad when i saw them up close, but now is the time to try to get them to put on some new kicks (though i already purchased it, i might be SOL here).

ANything you can tell me would be great! I pick it up on Monday.

THanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
With the 2011 there aren't too many issues, unless you happen to get a shaker (search steering wheel shake and you will find a wealth of info, but don't be too worried about it, there are plenty that are fine like mine). If it has a sunroof, make sure the recall for the sunroof has been performed. Also check that the AC condenser drain is clear, otherwise it'll backup and drip on passenger floor.

I haven't had too many issues, just the two recalls, a defective outside temperature sensor, and the condensate drain that keeps plugging up.

And you are probably right, the stock contis are probably shot at 40k if you drive in wet or snowy conditions.

Some things that I have found over my ownership:
-The car makes a clunk/thud in the front passenger area within the first couple hundred feet of driving, thats the ABS self test and it is normal.
-the 19mm rear anti sway bar is a good, cheap upgrade, it tightens up handling.
-It is easy to maintain yourself and parts are readily available online for a discount. People on the forums here have written many useful DIY guides for OEM/aftermarket option installs, maintenance, and mods.

This forum truly has a wealth of information and people that are willing to help with pretty much any issue you might have. Have fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info! Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I wasnt able to get it up to 80 like some of the members have suggested in order to test it. I got it up to 65 or so and felt no noticeable shake. Hopefully im lucky here.

I had a bad feelin bout those tires. I asked the salesman if they were "pretty new rubber" and he said "oh yeah". So, im thinking thats my only leverage at getting some actual, new tires. I bet the dealer will point to their 60k rating and having "plenty of life" left... i hope i win that battle! I live in NH, so im definitely not going to put new tires on a brand new purchase. That's half the reason i traded in my old car! Hah. (half kidding, but you know the drill)

I'll definitely consider the RSB. I drove two Maximas and both were greatly improved by the addition of a Front Strut Tower Bar, so i value the benefit here.

They're not a subie dealer, so they didnt have the recall list handy but he said he would check. Is there a list of recalls for this car i can check? They're free to do right so i cant bust them up on that one.

I'll have my mechanic go through it soup to nuts and have them check those things. THanks so much for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
If you have a Subaru dealer local, give them the VIN and they can see what has or has not been done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, great idea.

I ended up talking to the Sales Manager that i bought the car from and told him that the salesman mentioned the tires were pretty new (he did). He called me back 30 mins later and said he had his mechanic check the tread and the fronts have 6/32 (he said new is 8/32) but the reears were beyond 50% wear. SO they're replacing the rears.

:D

I'll have my mechanic go through it with a fine tooth comb and hoepfully everything else checks out. Though i'm concerned the pads/rotors will need replacing too.

Thanks for all your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
phorts
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing