Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I bought a 2012 Outback Limited 3.6R a few months ago and had a few questions. First of all - what a great car - fastest car I've ever owned and that was completely unexpected! It's my first Subaru and I basically bought it without even test driving it because I was sick and tired of dealerships and Mazda was jerking me around... best decision ever :)... I got it through Costco.

Only complaint are the cheesy horns but I've seen some of the recommendations and will take care of that on the next warmish day!

A couple of quick questions:

1. the backup camera display is in the rear-view mirror (no GPS/nav) and is usually pretty fuzzy or with a lot of glare. It's rarely clear. Is this normal?
  2. I'm running synthetic even though it's not required/recommended. I ran the first 3K on the regular oil then switched to Mobil 1 - any issues?
  3. the heated seats, when you have them on high, seem to turn off after 15-20 minutes - is there a thermostat or sensor that is kicking on and is it normal?
  4. Was going to get winter tires from Costco. Is there anything I need to be careful of with regards to tire-pressure monitoring systems or ??
ok -that's about it I guess. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
1. Normal
2. Should be OK, even though I am not partial to Mobil-1.
3. That is to prevent a fire. Swap to low setting after about 10 minutes and it will stay on all the time.
4. Not sure that you need them at this point in time; however, I don't know where you live and/or the typical weather there. You should be able to purchase a TPS system for the new tires that are clone-able to existing ones (if you are buying rims). May need to go to the dealer to have the TPS reset.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Where are you located? Winter tires for some of the really bad winter areas makes sense but the stock tires with good tread on them will be decent for most people who only see limited amounts of snow and ice.

Don't bother with the TPMS stuff - if you get tires just have them tossed on cheap steel rims with no TPMS - all you will get is the light on the dash you can ignore for a few months till your summer tires go back on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies!

I live at 1100 feet in Oregon so the roads get icy most mornings (hence why I got the Subaru :) ). We also ski a lot and given I can't fit tire chains on, I reckon getting siped winter tires will take care of both concerns.

Thanks for all the feedback - I'll enjoy looking through all the other posts.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Enjoy your new car!!
I agree on the winter tires. With a good set you don't need chains that don't fit anyway.
Carefully clean the lens on the back-up camera as mine is clear. There may be some gunk on it from the factory for shipping purposes. There will be some glare from time to time, when the sun hits it just right though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can't help you with your questions, for a variety of reasons (I don't have a camera, and it's 86 here today in Austin ... I'm hardly a source for seat heater help!)

I did want to say how refreshing it is to hear how fast the 3.6 is. I have buyers remorse from buying the 2.5, which I find very sluggish.

Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
thanks for the replies!

I live at 1100 feet in Oregon so the roads get icy most mornings (hence why I got the Subaru :) ). We also ski a lot and given I can't fit tire chains on, I reckon getting siped winter tires will take care of both concerns.

Thanks for all the feedback - I'll enjoy looking through all the other posts.
I'm in SF - do Tahoe a bunch and have family in Medford and Eugene. The stock Continentals are fine for you. By the way you'll never use cables unless your trapped at bottom of your uncles pit like driveway when it glazes over with an inch of ice. Which case cables to climb up to the road then pulling them off will be about all you ever use them for.

We have over 15yrs of subaru in the Sierras some massive epic storms and never once have had to put the cables on the stock tires assuming the tires are all seasons with decent tread.

I wouldn't bother with a second set of winter tires till you spend your first winter with the Subaru. I bet you won't have much interest in a winter set after your first winter with it.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Congrats on the 3.6. Enjoy your Outback. Questions answered by others. I really like the back-up camera and the heated sests, even in Calif Central Valley.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
congratulations and did you notice/like the little blue light shining down on the gear shifter-cup holder area!!! :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re winter tires:
Try the car as is. You will likely find that with Subaru's truly superior AWD system, that you will not need them at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
mikelipke
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing