Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R - Graphite Grey
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new '13 3.6R. There were only 3 left on the East Coast, so I had to drive to Baltimore to get it. Got it for $3,200 off MSRP.

Traded in my 2005 Saab 9-2x, so now I'm an 'official' Subaru owner. I got the 3.6R for the towing capacity - bigger engine and bigger brakes. I also liked how smooth the engine/trans were compared to the 2.5/CVT.

The Good: On the 300 mile drive home from Baltimore, uphill, over the mountains, to north of Pittsburgh, I got an actual 25.8 mpg! (The car showed 27.6 mpg on the display, with a high of 28.8 before I hit the mountains.) (Cruise set at 67 mph.) The ride feels "just right". No wallowing or lane wandering. Very smooth compared to my Saab. And quiet! No more highway drone. I also like the tilt-telescope feature on the steering wheel. To top things off, I called in for my insurance and my rates went down. A brand-new Outback was less than my 8 year old Impreza-clone Saab!

The Not As Good: You guys weren't kidding - the stock radio s#cks. My alarm clock radio has better sound. And it s#cks. How can they make a car that quiet and put such cheap speakers in it? (I guess that will be upgrade #1.) Next is the seat material. That stuff is maybe one grade better than Handi-Wipes. Really thin. I hope it holds up. (Seat covers will be on the upgrade list, too.) The 6-way electric seats in the 2.5 Premium felt more comfortable, too.

Overall: Love my new Outback! I was worried about the mileage, but so far I'm happy. If it improves over time, I'll be even happier.

Wish List: 6" lift, mudders, rear locker... the usual. :5:

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Just picked up my new '13 3.6R. There were only 3 left on the East Coast, so I had to drive to Baltimore to get it. Got it for $3,200 off MSRP.

Traded in my 2005 Saab 9-2x, so now I'm an 'official' Subaru owner. I got the 3.6R for the towing capacity - bigger engine and bigger brakes. I also liked how smooth the engine/trans were compared to the 2.5/CVT.

The Good: On the 300 mile drive home from Baltimore, uphill, over the mountains, to north of Pittsburgh, I got an actual 25.8 mpg! (The car showed 27.6 mpg on the display, with a high of 28.8 before I hit the mountains.) (Cruise set at 67 mph.) The ride feels "just right". No wallowing or lane wandering. Very smooth compared to my Saab. And quiet! No more highway drone. I also like the tilt-telescope feature on the steering wheel. To top things off, I called in for my insurance and my rates went down. A brand-new Outback was less than my 8 year old Impreza-clone Saab!

The Not As Good: You guys weren't kidding - the stock radio s#cks. My alarm clock radio has better sound. And it s#cks. How can they make a car that quiet and put such cheap speakers in it? (I guess that will be upgrade #1.) Next is the seat material. That stuff is maybe one grade better than Handi-Wipes. Really thin. I hope it holds up. (Seat covers will be on the upgrade list, too.) The 6-way electric seats in the 2.5 Premium felt more comfortable, too.

Overall: Love my new Outback! I was worried about the mileage, but so far I'm happy. If it improves over time, I'll be even happier.

Wish List: 6" lift, mudders, rear locker... the usual. :5:

I'm enhancing the stock radio this Thursday. Purchased an Alpine Amp and Infinity speakers at Best Buy. I don't need any fancy features, just good sound. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
p.s. Just noticed you were using cruise control, which is not recommended during the first 1,000 miles according to the manual and other forum members...

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
p.s. Just noticed you were using cruise control, which is not recommended during the first 1,000 miles according to the manual and other forum members...
Most of that "break in period" stuff is complete BS. Just about every car, regardless of manufacturer has the ever living crap beat out of it at the factory the second it rolls off the assembly line. The engines first few minutes of life are usually at WOT. I'm sure they do this because if anything goes horribly wrong, it would be best if it happened while still at the factory.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Congrats on the rare find. Enjoy your 3.6R.

·
Registered
'13 Outback Premium 6MT
110 Posts
Sweet! I'm in the same boat as you. Currently have the Saabaru and looking for an Outback. Hopefully my search goes as well. Congrats!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal on the Outback, I couldn't imagine what they gave you for the SAAB though. When the company went belly up, new models were going for like 1/2 off. Anyway congrats on the new 3.6R, I'm likely going to trade my wifes '11 2.5i for either a '13 or '14 late this year or early next year. But I am going to try and test drive the new Forester XT/CVT this weekend to see if I like the way that drives, who knows if I like that turbo/ CVT I might just go ahead and get it one and done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to worry - the first 300 miles were across the mountains of Pennsylvania, so the engine was never at one speed for too long.

Daily commute is about 12 miles each way, and averaging about 22 mpg on the display. If actual is above 20, I'll be happy. My old Saab 9-2x was only averaging 22.7, and that was with a 2.5 and 5-spd manual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looked at just 2 dealers in new jersey and found 6 3.6r,s....??:confused:
good luck with yours.....
Lots of 3.6R Limited's out there, but I was looking for a 3.6R Base. I just did the Gen 4 poll here on the forum, and I'm only the 10th 3.6R Base. Glad I found the car, it was worth the drive for me.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Lots of 3.6R Limited's out there, but I was looking for a 3.6R Base. I just did the Gen 4 poll here on the forum, and I'm only the 10th 3.6R Base. Glad I found the car, it was worth the drive for me.
Wow 3.6R base , that is so rare and you found one without ordering from the factory.
1 quick guest ion, does it comes with awp package( heated seat, mirror and windshield de-icer?)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow 3.6R base , that is so rare and you found one without ordering from the factory.
1 quick guest ion, does it comes with awp package( heated seat, mirror and windshield de-icer?)
I missed the order cut-off by a few weeks.

I really wanted those heated mirrors, but Subaru doesn't let you get the AWP on the Base models. On the plus side, the 3.6R Base includes tinted windows and fog lights. I might have gone for a Premium if they offered it, but after the $5K jump from the 2.5i, I couldn't do another $3.5K for the Limited.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Wow, 2.5 Base vs 3.6r base is $5k now. I think it was $3k back in 2010 when the Gen 4 first came out.
Was your $5k diff comparing to a 2.5 Manual?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Upgraded sound system

I'm enhancing the stock radio this Thursday. Purchased an Alpine Amp and Infinity speakers at Best Buy. I don't need any fancy features, just good sound. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Had my speakers and a new amp installed by the geeksquad today.
They did a great job! I love the team at our local Best Buy. They listen to my needs and make appropriate recommendations. I wanted it to keep the stock look but have great sound and that's just what I got. Since the speakers are mounted low in the door, they recommended ones that are adjustable to direct the sound upward. I'm no geek or do-it-yourselfer, so appreciate the lifetime warranty on workmanship and 4 years on components. It cost about $700. I'm seriously considering sleeping in my car tonight:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First week with my OB and still lovin' it.

First tank, all highway, 27.6 mpg displayed, 25.8 calculated. (full tank from the dealer, but I don't know how well it was topped off)
Second tank, daily commute, 21.9 displayed, 21.5 calculated. (50/50 city-hwy)

My old 9-2x was a 2.5/5-spd manual and was getting 22.7 mpg for the commute and about 27 mpg highway. The new OB with a 3.6/5-spd auto is almost within 1 mpg of the old car. Cool!

·
Registered
224 Posts
That's awesome! There is a 3.6R base in the inventory at Roger Beasley in Georgetown, Tx if anyone is looking. Satin White Pearl around $29K list. I love mine too. Drives wonderfully, and there's just something about the interior that feels cozy. Not many of them left!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts