Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Limited Outback
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I bought a new 2013 Outback limited. We brought it home and I was walking the car that night in the garage, looking at everything. We noticed the rear passenger door was sticking out just above the molding.

I looked at the other side, and while it was also not perfectly flush, it was much better than the passenger side.

I took the car back the next morning pointed it out, service said they had never seen that before. They took pictures and were very nice but I was not thrilled with the potential fix idea of a loaner and the body shop.

Being mostly my wife's car, she was not happy and called the dealership GM. He was fantastic and said "no problem, we will find you a new one, come back tomorrow."

They did and we swapped it out hassle free. I am a giant fan of that dealership, sales staff and GM!! They had the best price I could find, were easy to work with and very professional.

That could have been a real hassle and it was hard to really embrace the car with that issue. We do love this car and it fits our needs perfectly!

The doors on the new one they gave us fit damb near perfect but still they seem to close just outside the molding behind. Not noticeable unless you have gone through what we went through.

It got me wondering, I thought these were made and assembled in Japan. But sounds like they are partially assembled in Japan and then finished in Indiana.

I have a few questions...

1) Has anyone else noticed the door alignment or had similar door alignment issues?
2) What part of this wagon is assembled in Japan and what part is finished here in the US? I am hoping the engine comes complete from Japan and is just dropped into place or something like that.

Chris

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
I have a few questions...

1) Has anyone else noticed the door alignment or had similar door alignment issues?
2) What part of this wagon is assembled in Japan and what part is finished here in the US? I am hoping the engine comes complete from Japan and is just dropped into place or something like that.

Chris
I've not noticed anything like that on mine. If you look on your window sticker, you'll find your answer. On our 2013 Limited, it states that the origin of the engine and transmission was Japan. Everything else is assembled in Indiana. I've heard that in the near future, everything will be US sourced.

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
Mine is slightly off as well...but it is the same on both sides. I was going to look at some others on the dealers lot next time i am there. Its not very noticeable on mine though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2013 Limited Outback
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh thanks, the window sticker was in the glove box. Will look.

Nothing against US auto workers, glad that plant is also here in the US but I am a fan of the Japanese culture and high level of autoworker attention to detail in Japan.. Also you can probably only do so much with what was shipped and how it fits together, if you are installing essentially from a kit.

·
Registered
2013 Limited Outback
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is slightly off as well...but it is the same on both sides. I was going to look at some others on the dealers lot next time i am there. Its not very noticeable on mine though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I did the same thing on Monday, all were just slightly out to the touch.. but not noticeable like my first one.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
You get a positive response you post it, who is your (Denver) dealer?
FWIW, I too had a positive sale with Heuberger (Co Springs).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
That rear door fit is normal. My '13 and previous '11 are both the same. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
Are you guys talking about at the very bottom of the door at the back, where it arches for the wheel opening? They're all like that.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Are you guys talking about at the very bottom of the door at the back, where it arches for the wheel opening? They're all like that.

+1. My 2012 and my 2013 are like this, but the gap is even left to right sides.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
Heuberger (Co Springs).
^The only place to buy accessories (lowest cost and cheapest shipping).

My doors are not flush, they pop out a little. I figured that is how they were designed. They are weathertight.

·
Registered
2013 Limited Outback
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You get a positive response you post it, who is your (Denver) dealer?
FWIW, I too had a positive sale with Heuberger (Co Springs).
Go Subaru on Arapahoe.. Jenny is the internet sales manager, awesome! Tina is in finance also awesome and Joe is the GM, very nice person. Also the service manager is a super guy.

It seems like a small shop but I have to say they know what they are doing and are very nice.

On the door thing, I think you guys are right they all have it just a bit. Thing is my first one really had it noticeably on the passenger side and not as much on the driver side. I am glad we switched, it out, though. The one we have seems perfect.

Just put a 100 miles on it.

I think the white leather interior is gonna get spanked though, our 4 and 6 year olds are busy bees..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts