Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Suburu Outback 2.5 Limited
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a new 2013. It still has less than 2000 miles on it. Every time I crank it up, about 6 seconds after it's put into drive, there is a popping noise that sounds like it's near passenger/front side. Sounds like I run over a rock or something small banging underneath. It happens almost every time (even when I'm not on rock). It also pops when I put it in reverse & turn hard right. Any ideas? (This is the wife, & I'd like to sound a little bit knowledgable when I call the dealership) This is our first new car ever, so these sounds have been very suprising... especially from a Suburu. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium
57 Posts
I don't know if this helps you but my 2012 Legacy made that noise. My new 2013 OB makes that noise and my wife's 2012 Forester makes that noise....what the heck it is I have no idea, but I'm guessing it's normal :)

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,074 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forum. I don't intend to make this a rude welcome message as this is generally a friendly place.

Per page 7-25 of the owner's manual for my 2011 (the book was included in the purchase), it's the ABS self-check. It's in the Starting and Operating section.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
Curiously, my 2012 OBW LTD with 14 000 miles, doesn't make that noise, and never has.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, PZEV, Satin White Pearl, SAP, OEM Hitch, Body Side Moldings, Door Edge Guards, Wheel Arch Moldings, Splash Guards, Rear Seat Back Protectors, Rear Bumper Cover, Pin
87 Posts
Any chance that you’re Outback has splash guards?

I've read on some posts where if the guards are not installed exactly to the millimeter, the tire hits it and you hear a noise. Mostly happens when making a turn or backing and making a turn.

If you don't have splash guards, then I guess it won't apply. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts