Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Magnetite Grey 2.5i premium with grey interior for about 2 days and couldn't be any happier with my purchase. I opted out of of the Eyesight package (may regret it in the future but I am happy with my decision for now). So far I have no complaints what-so-ever. I was really worried about all the horror stories I heard about the Infotainment system but have not experience any problems yet - maybe I just haven't had the car long enough.

MY UNEXPECTED BONUS:

During all of my research on this vehicle, I never saw mention or how the radio cache system worked. It is much like the portable Onyx receiver I installed in my old Forester. Each of your preset stations begin recording to the cache when the vehicle is started. Then, when you turn the radio station each song is started at the beginning and you can even rewind or pause the radio. I saw no mention of this prior to purchase, and it is barley even touched on at in the manual.

Is this becoming so common in new cars that it is considered "standard" and does not warrant any advertising? It is a huge convenience feature that was going to be the only "downgrade" from my 2010 Forester to this new 2018 outback, but much to my surprise.... It is a feature of the infotainment system!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 2017 has this too. My GF and I both have it in our cars. It has an interesting side effect. If you get a call while driving, the radio keeps recording. Upon completing the call, the radio begins playing right where it left off. You can select to go back to the live radio feed if you want. However, it is easy to forget that your are listening to the cached memory. That is, until you reach the end of the memory. Then you jump back to live radio. This can be disconcerting. My GF was complaining about her radio station cutting off songs in the middle lately. I finally realized it was this cache issue she was experiencing. A 21st century problem indeed.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
Hmmmm... Maybe that's why the presets sometimes get stuck on "initializing".

David

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,110 Posts
The 2017 has this too. My GF and I both have it in our cars. It has an interesting side effect. If you get a call while driving, the radio keeps recording. Upon completing the call, the radio begins playing right where it left off. You can select to go back to the live radio feed if you want. However, it is easy to forget that your are listening to the cached memory. That is, until you reach the end of the memory. Then you jump back to live radio. This can be disconcerting. My GF was complaining about her radio station cutting off songs in the middle lately. I finally realized it was this cache issue she was experiencing. A 21st century problem indeed.
My '15 does same, but I've never noticed it running out the cache and switching back to live. Seems to stay cached until I intervene or turn off the car. Maybe the newer ones do to minimize wear on the cache RAM.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,110 Posts
??? :surprise:
Sure, why not? Flash memory is normally dynamically over-provisioned to compensate for wear-leveling and bad block management. As I said, maybe. Don't know how large the cache drive is but by simply dumping the 20 minute cache and not continually writing to it there is less chance of it wearing out during the life of the car. It may only be a few gigabytes.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,108 Posts
I agree. But I was responding to your original post, which said RAM, not Flash. As far as I know, the audio cache is volatile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts