Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read over in the edmunds forum that Subaru is planning on showing a concept for a new 7 passenger vehicle (think honda pilot) at the New York Auto Show. This was also posted over at NASIOC. No official word but an exciting rumor nonetheless.:D Thought I'd pass it on.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I personally think it would be a good move for Subaru to offer a slightly larger vehicle. Remember, I said slightly. Large SUV's suck rocks. Subaru sales are limited to wagon lovers in my opinion, and a fresh new concept would be welcome news for me. Brian

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd like to see a "slightly larger" vehicle as well.

Maybe a Baja with a bigger bed. I thing is about the same size as the '78 BRAT I had at one time. But, a slightly more truck like vehicle with a 6 cylinder would be great.

Subaru could build an H-6 with EJ25 bore and stoke and the '05 3.0's 83 hp/l. We'd have a 3.75 liter putting out around 311 hp, That would be extremely cool.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
Hopefully the General isn't giving them a rebadge in return for Subaru's contributions...

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Myself and the drummer in my band (drives an '03 WRX) have dreamed about a Subaru VAN. A BIG conversion type van, think econoline/ram. That way, we could pack all our equipment up and tour without ever having to worry about a) the weater because it's a Subaru, b) the maintenance because most Subies are built like tanks, and c) loosing our Scooby street cred!

While I imagine a big van is out of the question, I imagine a slightly larger vehicle couldn't be a bad thing considering the popularity of large GGUV, thats: gas guzzling utility vehicles.

·
Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
47 Posts
The plant is preparing for production of the seven passenger vehicle. As soon as they are finished with Isuzu (July 23), that area begins production of the 7 pass. They have already gotten some of the dies in to cast parts.

As far as I have been told, it will debut in 2005.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Baja Death

Luke_Monroe said:
The plant is preparing for production of the seven passenger vehicle. As soon as they are finished with Isuzu (July 23), that area begins production of the 7 pass. They have already gotten some of the dies in to cast parts.

As far as I have been told, it will debut in 2005.

Hey Luke,
Do you have any fresh news on the Baja,is it gonna die in 06 or will it make to a 2nd generation.Thanks:D

·
47 Posts
Well, since we've redesigned the Baja for 05 (we just got a white turbo today), It would seem unlikely that they will tank the line. It is fairly popular among certain demographics.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Yeah, but certain demographics don't always pay the bills. I love the wife's Baja and so does she. I would hate for the model to be discarded after no more than a couple years of production. It serves us just fine. Brian

·
Registered
106 Posts
Luke_Monroe said:
Well, since we've redesigned the Baja for 05 (we just got a white turbo today), It would seem unlikely that they will tank the line. It is fairly popular among certain demographics.

What did they redesign,it looks the same as all current years to me.

·
47 Posts
Two notes:

1. The Baja is schedualed for production until 07 at the very minimum. There is no plan at all to scrap it.

2. The Baja is a part of the Legacy line. At it's core, it uses legacy technology. All Legacys, bajas, and outbacks have been redesigned as a part of our new launch for 05. The exterior is far more sporty, the interior has the same design elements as the new legacy, and the engine has been increased to 168 horsepower in the standard, 210 in the turbo.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We just heard more info on the 7 pass. I saw full-size clay models of it at last year's national dealer conf. in Miami. It's going to be larger than a Pilot. It will be built on the same fram as the B11S concept car, which is about the size of a Bonneville.

Saab will be getting a rebadged version of our 7 pass to replace the HIDEOUS 9-7X. Our's should be out in mid 2005 and Saab will introduce their version mid '06 possibly as an '07.

The Baja will probably soldier on from what I hear, but in current form. FHI and Subaru are about 50/50 on giving it the new Legacy skin. Personally, my thoughts on the Baja are mixed. Every single one I've sold has been to someone strange. But we're in upstate NY! It can't really compete here, even with the 210 Turbo. I think they should drop the base 4 cyl and only offer the new 250 Turbo and an H-6 version. Maybe then it could compete with the junk from GM and the smaller Japanese import trucks.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Wooo, Rochester in the hiz-ouse!

On average I'd say I see 50-60 *different* Scooby's on the road, everyday.
That's about 400 a week, of those I'd say maybe 5 are Baja's. Not so good for the county that has more Subaru sales than any other in America.

I have a hard time believing that they plan on bringing the Baja past it's scheduled production term. For the most part, if the Baja wasn't available, those folks would most likely get an Outback instead. Face it, if you're shopping for a Baja, you're shopping for a Subaru, and you're not going to go buy some ****ty GM just because they don't have any more Baja's.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The nice thing about the Baja is that it really didn't cost anything for Subaru to develop it. I think that it's all a little "too little, too late" witht the 2005 Baja.

1. They should have gone with the monotone paint scheme to begin with.

2. They should never had skimped on power or ground clearence.

3 They should never have hired someone who obviously has a love for Pontiacs to handel design.... tooooo much cladding!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
Karl_at_VanBortel
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing