Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Turbo Forester when I lived in NZ, and I love Subarus. But now looked for a cheap project that I'm back in the states. Found this straight non-turbo EJ22, 5spd, Maroon, nice paint, smoky smelling interior, ratted out carpet, nice sunroof, new tires for $275. I took it. Need to pull the engine and check it out. The guy said the timing belt went loose and his mechanic says bent a valve. So he just wanted to dump it to cover his towing bill. The guy just bought it for $4k in August!

A few questions:

1. Interior swap with what years? Thinking of a junk yard carpet/leather seat exchange. Get rid of the smoke smell. Front seats are torched in every way. Carpet sucks.

2. Get some used heads/ new timing belt/ new water pump and be on my way? Or should I be tearing this whole thing down to see if there's any piston sidewall damage, and build a proper high hp application on the closed deck engine with forged parts.

I do have other projects such as my Excursion and this will be my run around town car and ski mtn.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,480 Posts
first off: is that a EJ222? or EJ221? or a EJ25D? and what engine was in the car originally. Is it a ouback, a LGT, or a plain legacy.
(looks like some kind of legacy to me, with the one color, and not the 2 tone of the outbacks).

second what interior to put in, any legacy/ LGT/ Legacy outback from 1995-99.
plenty of part outs from things with dead EJ25D in them,...so you can nab leathers out of "limiteds" take the carpet too. (maybe even buy a whole car with a dead engine in it, hog it for parts and toss it to the scrappers).

third: stink, = buy a ozone machine off amazon. $50-70. those have a 2 hour timer. put it on the drivers floor, and plug it in through the window. taping the window shut with a expensive roll of painters masking tape. (so you don't take any paint when you open the door).
run that machine like 4-5 times and the mouse stinks will be gone.
I had one crawling and pissing in a head liner last year,...and I bought a ozone machine and used it 4 times and never pulled any of the head liner down.

Reactions: Snow_Reaper

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,480 Posts
Reactions: Snow_Reaper

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the VIN
4S3BK4359X6302590

Says it's the L model Legacy according to the VIN. Any really good VIN finders that tell me what engine I have? 222 or 221? This car has the Outback badge on the back. Confusing. Why on earth would someone badge a Legacy an Outback? I don't see the greatness of going to the trouble one bit. 100% in the who cares realm.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,480 Posts
Here's the VIN
4S3BK4359X6302590

Says it's the L model. Has the Outback badge on the back? Confusing.
if the vin plate under the hood on the shock tower says EJ222 engine = 99 legacy.

with a happy outback badge stuck on it.

(this is a good thing, as the EJ25D is turd).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I am seeing

Model: BK7EY3M
TRIM CODE: 710
OPTION CODE: UODB
COLOR CODE: 841
ENGINE TYPE: EJ223AWAWL
TRANSMISSION: TY754VAAAA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Not an Outback I guess. It says it's an L series Legacy. But the back emblems match on the car perfectly. And even an Outback bumper pad on the back. So that's real confusing. EJ223 Engine. Not sure how to decipher trim code, option code, or how much power that TY754VAAAA 5spd transmission can hold.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,480 Posts
Not an Outback I guess. It says it's an L series Legacy. But the back emblems match on the car perfectly. And even an Outback bumper pad on the back. So that's real confusing. EJ223 Engine. Not sure how to decipher trim code, option code, or how much power that TY754VAAAA 5spd transmission can hold.
EJ223,

I would think is a manual trans EJ222 from 1999-2001.

such things put out 142hp and 149 torque. people have put turbos on them and have published build threads. and what they did with the trans to take the power.
(don't know how long such cars last in miles or use though. and I would think it is easier to work with a 1990-95 EJ22 as you don't have to pass emissions or something making odd trouble codes as they are pre ODBC2 ).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,480 Posts
and in the PNW, I could see someone grabbing a hatch and bumper off a outback and putting it on you car from a rear smash
. = it fits.

or just the badges and bumper cover, ....like putting junk yard porsche 944 badges on a 1999 vw beetle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and in the PNW, I could see someone grabbing a hatch and bumper off a outback and putting it on you car from a rear smash
. = it fits.\
Good point! I do see it had one accident in it's history. I'm betting it was from the rear. And like you said, Outback replacement. We've come a long ways today. From engine to what the **** kind of car I actually have lol Thanks for your help.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,480 Posts
Good point! I do see it had one accident in it's history. I'm betting it was from the rear. And like you said, Outback replacement. We've come a long ways today. From engine to what the **** kind of car I actually have lol Thanks for your help.
updated thread title

if you click the link next to the question mark in my signature you can fix your signature, and the about my car thing that appears at the left.

how many subarus you got?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,480 Posts
NO raised roof. = No outback.

its a legacy wagon, on outback suspension. and probably tires.

I would think they picked up the "outback" letters and the bumper cover, and any suspension bits, at a part out.

(about my car thing at the left still says wrong).

pretty great looking though. = no rust and great paint.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan
1 - 14 of 14 Posts