Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got new tires put on yesterday. 😁 Went a size up to 225/65/17 in an Armstrong Tru Trac AT. Tires were right around 31lbs each. Tread pattern aggressiveness is between a Wild Peak trail and a BFG KO2. Slight hum at speed, and sturdily constructed. 60,000 mi. treadlife warranty. I got an awesome deal on eBay for $348 for all four shipped! I’ve seen these other places for around $120 each, so I couldn’t pass up a good deal lol. Tread depth is 13/32”. I have an ADF 1” lift kit coming this week, as well as Subtle 3/8” front and 1/4” rear spacers. Will definitely post pics when I finish installing the lift. I already trimmed the front splash guards, as I had rubbing turning in reverse. I’d say they’ll have to come off when the lift goes on, but we’ll see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks good!!!!
Never seen those before.
I think I’m gonna do 225/65r17 Toyo Open Country AT 3’s

I have The Open Country MTs on my 4Runner. I was blown away. Never thought I’d like anything other than BFG.
The Toyo AT3 in tgat size is only 30lbs if I recall and plenty aggressive.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,333 Posts
Looks good!!!!
Never seen those before.
I think I’m gonna do 225/65r17 Toyo Open Country AT 3’s

I have The Open Country MTs on my 4Runner. I was blown away. Never thought I’d like anything other than BFG.
The Toyo AT3 in tgat size is only 30lbs if I recall and plenty aggressive.
I'm interested in the Toyos too. I think they're 3peak rated, correct?

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah 3 peak

Yours look really knobby with nice deep voids. Should be noticeable traction!

is be curious to see how these deflect. Full pressure back 20psi, vs 15psi, vs 10psi.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,371 Posts
That’s awesome! I just got a 2016 3.6r and want to put AT tires on it. Are there all terrain tires I can put on the stock wheels?
Yes, there are several popular choices - the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail, the Toyo Open Country III, the Yokohama Geolandar G015, either in 225/60-18 SL or 235-60-18 XL

·
Registered
13 Posts
That’s awesome! I just got a 2016 3.6r and want to put AT tires on it. Are there all terrain tires I can put on the stock wheels?
the stock size is 225/60r17

without a lift you can fit 225/65r17

all terrains in either size will fit no problem.
Even with a lift that seems to be the sizes, unless you want to start removing or trimming mud flaps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
These cars don’t have a ton of mods available. So I think a worthy investment would be a set of street wheels and tires and a different set with all terrains.
For an in between set I love the BFG Asvabtage T/A

I used the AT for over a decade on my 4Runner. Probably had 4-5 sets BFG .ATs are great

The toyos are tough too. The sidewalk actually has two styles based on the size you get. I think the metrics have a slightly tamed version of the sidewall, from what I read.
it was a noticeably lighter tire, so that’s what caught my eye.

you’ll be totally stoked with the BFG AT, it’s hard to beat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The tread looks aggressive, though I'm not familiar with those tires. How's their sidewall strength?

I went with BF Goodrich KO2'sThey work great in dry and wet roads. There's a little noise but that's what to expect out of all-terrain tires.
Just feeling the sidewalls before they were mounted, they’re beefy. Much sturdier than the all seasons that were on it.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Carbide Gray
40 Posts
the stock size is 225/60r17

without a lift you can fit 225/65r17

all terrains in either size will fit no problem.
Even with a lift that seems to be the sizes, unless you want to start removing or trimming mud flaps.
The stock size is 225/65/R17 for non-limited versions, and a lot of people can fit 245/65/R17 without a lift and rubbing. I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts