Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 VDC
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my axle replaced 5 days ago. After driving around 150 miles I took a look under the car and saw quite a bit of grease. (See pic) This is all new grease since the change because the previous axle was replaced due to a torn inner boot and all of this grease is around the outer boot. I cleaned off as much grease as I could and I can't find any tears or holes in the boot. Is it possible the clamp wasn't installed properly? As you can tell by the color, this is an MWE axle. I emailed him yesterday morning and haven't heard back yet.

After cleaning it:

2002 Outback Sedan VDC

-Tim

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
clean it up, put in some new grease and tighten or replace the clamp. i had this happen to me one time at a hop .

who did the work?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really won't be pleased if I have to reboot an axle I paid $185+labor for so I wouldn't have to reboot my original. The shop was Smart Service (An independent Subaru shop in Mountlake Terrace, WA) I wasn't too impressed with them, oil on my engine cover, grease from the old axle, etc. Little things, but I keep my engine bay pretty clean. I got an email from Marshall at MWE today.
"Did the installer hit the boot upon installation trying to get it into the CV side? We see that allot.That what looks like mite of happened."

I feel like I'm going to get the run around on this one. Is there anything I should look for to see if the clamp wasn't installed correctly or if the shop damaged something?

-Tim

·
Registered
00 OB 07 OBXT
5,538 Posts
All you can really do is examine it closely for any damage.

I would jack the front end off the ground, use jackstands, turn the wheel all the way and rotate the tire [like you have it in the pic] that will open up the accordian so you can see the folds better.

Clean up really well, have someone turn the wheel lock to lock while you watch. That should squish some lube out if the bands aren't tight.

If it's loose bands, you can pop the big end off, squirt some cv grease in there and reband it. Sucks, but, it's not a full reboot ... which sucks worse.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marshall at FW Enterprises LLC. (Formerly: “MWE Axles”) sent me a new axle which arrived Friday afternoon. Hopefully I can get it swapped in this weekend and that will be the end of my issues. Marshall still thinks it was the shop that damaged the axle but took care of me anyway. I should know if it was the shop once I pull the old axle, I'll post what I find. Even though this whole ordeal has been a PITA I'm pleased with Marshall making things right.

-Tim

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
wow that's pretty awesome for him to take the hit. it is a tight fit depending how you do it - the easy/fast way is tight getting the axle up and out of there so it is very easy to bump clamps and tear boots on install or removal.

i've seen leaks before on new boots as well, it's not all that uncommon.

CV clamps confound me...what caveman decided to redesign the wheel and not use a hose style clamp? particularly when dealing with greasy, slimy CV rebuilds! people avoid the hassle and use hose clamps and zip ties (better get the steel ones and not the cheap chinese plastic ones though!) because of how silly the multiple style CV clamp system is. i stick with CV clamps since i'm hopeful there's *some* reason, but i can see the attraction.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to get everything swapped tonight. After removing the old axle I inspected it for any cracks or tears to the boot. I didn't find anything. I did notice that the distance between the dust shield and the outer boot is different on the two axles. The leaking axle is on the bottom, the new on is on top.

-Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts