Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed new pads and rotors on the rear of my 2003 2.5 Outback. Now, when I take a left hand turn (with or without braking) a grinding sound comes from the right rear area. Any ideas??? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Is there a ridge of rust buildup where the edges of the old pads stopped? Are your new pads hitting this built-up ridge?

Also check to be sure you didn't bend the back dust cover sheet metal so it ends up riding against the edge of the disc.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Did you sand the "ears" of the pads and use plenty of brake grease? Did the pads seem like a tight fit, or where they hard to seat in the calipers? Sometimes a pad will not return after braking if they are too tight in the caliper. Imperfections in the rotors will not be able to bump them back away from the rotor and the torque of taking a turn will be heard as a grinding or dragging sound from the opposite wheel. You might also consider re-greasing the caliper pins. Also, be sure the pads are properly bedded. This link has a decent procedure near the end of the instructions. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/7832-diy-brake-pad-replacement-brake-flush-brake-bedding.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It seems like the pads needed a more intense setting or breaking in than I've ever been used to. Also, it was just the rear, so they don't get the use of the front under braking. Problem seems to be solved. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
rloughren
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing