Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited Pkg 23 & Pop Pkg 5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic replaced rear pads & rotors and front pads. About halfway home the car beeped loudly and regularly for about 5 minutes and it sounded like it came from the back. (Beeped like a truck backing up.) No warning lights showed up on the dash. Got home, locked it & set alarm for the night, now am locked out, neither fob opens it Changed batteries in both fobs just in case. Ideas welcome. I know how to use the manual key to get inside and start it, but want to understand what the problem is. Could this be something to do with the electric parking brake? I’d be grateful for suggestions.

2016 Outback 2.5i limited 2.5L

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
4,416 Posts
I suspect there is a problem with the main vehicle battery.

It is probably best to open the car with the manual key and then test the battery under the hood. My guess is it will be around two volts suggesting something has been accidentally left turned on overnight (maybe the cargo area light).

Seagrass

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
5,422 Posts
Mechanic probably ran the battery down one way or another while working on the brakes. Maybe left the doors or rear lift gate open, left the ignition on to listen to the radio or other reason, or something else.
Fully charging the battery might be all that is needed but this would probably just be a good time to replace and upgrade the battery to something with a higher reserve capacity.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5 , '18 Forester 2.5
394 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't help myself :)

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
5,321 Posts
I can't really think of what would be causing a repetitive beeping from the rear of the vehicle while driving but maybe it's possible a heavily drained battery could be the cause. Don't think I've ever seen any similar reports around here. Most beeping while driving comes from the EyeSight system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. I got the battery charged and the fobs now work. Now I cannot get the security indicator light to stop blinking (ignition is OFF, fob is far away, doors are all shut). In other words, with the car locked and armed and I'm in the house for 30 minutes, I can walk out there without the fob and that derned light is still blinking. The manual is REALLY confusing about this, but I'll bet the light's blinking drained the battery overnight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, thanks greatly. BTW, if the gate is down but not latched, does this model beep for a while when you're driving but no idiot light shows up?

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
1,042 Posts
I can t remember but I do remember having so many (temporary) issues with opening and closing the rear gate until the battery was fully charged. I was traveling at the time. A few hours of highway and all went back to normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll just leave this question out there: If the gate is down but not latched, does it beep?

Thanks very much again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts