Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Which Outback to purchase?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Toyota
17 Posts
2017 3.6 limited $32k - NO EYESIGHT
2017 3.6 touring $34.5k
2018 3.6 limited $33k - NO EYESIGHT
Help me decide. I travel 25-30,000 a year and keep my cars 200,000 miles

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
336 Posts
2017 3.6 limited $32k
2017 3.6 touring $34.5k
2018 3.6 limited $33k
Help me decide. I travel 25-30,000 a year and keep my cars 200,000 miles
vic: That's an easy decision. The 2018 model year has many new features that make it well worth $1,000 more than the 2017.

I have had my 2018 3.6R Limited for almost a month and it is everything I could want.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
508 Posts
how are you getting a 2018 3.6 limited for 33k? No eyesight? i had invoice of the 18 limited 3.6 w eyesight at like 35,300?

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
277 Posts
touring if u want a useful roof rack.

That is the one thing I wish I had understood before I didn't get the touring.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Toyota
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No eyesight on the 17 or 18. I do not want it. My wife has it on her 14 Forester XT Touring and I'm not a fan. Touring is nice but again it is $1500 more then a model year newer car and has more tech then I will use in a million years. Leaning towards the 18 Base Limited 3.6R The 3.6 is mandatory. I drive 25-30,000 miles a year for work and keep my cars for 200,000 miles. My fear is the 2.5 will not make it.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
I added a poll because why not? :D

{EDIT} I just re-read the thread and I am going to change the poll to reflect that the Limited Outback choices DO NOT have Eyesight. That changes my vote.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You really should try the eyesight in the outback its much better than pre-2017 foresters. Its totally worth it, the older system not so much.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
508 Posts
touring if u want a useful roof rack.

That is the one thing I wish I had understood before I didn't get the touring.

How is it not useful?

It has built in crossbars. What am I missing? We use our roof rack all the time on our current wagon, and I didnt like the 'must buy 500.00 crossbar' touring rails

·
Registered
277 Posts
There are several issues with the regular roof rack that I ran into. one is the shape of the bars and not everything fits them so if you have existing roof top boxes are bike racks make sure that you can attached them .

The other 2 problems that I have run into with my stock roof rack are number one in the spread of the bars is very small. now you can move the rear bar further back towards the trunk but because of the little spoiler on top of the trunk then you can't open the trunk. It would be way more helpful to move the front bar forward period the front bar is very far back in relationship to where the trunk opens period that is not the case on the touring period .

My original goal was to get the blue with the Brown are Java whether interior with the best roof rack possible. I got a great car but I feel like if I'd done a little more research I would have been more satisfied. In the touring you can get the blue with the good roof rack with the Java Brown interior. At the time I was under the incorrect assumption that the limited had a better roof rack but the blue only came with the white interior. with 3 kids that was a no go. I discussed this with my salesperson and for only $900 more than the black on black limited with eyesight I could have gotten a blue with Brown interior to touring which has standard eyesight and removable aero cross bars. Hindsight is 2020 I'm kicking myself for not doing that .

About the eyesight period on a sports car guy I like to drive my cars I don't like computers intervening but the eyesight is amazing and totally worth it and I just thought it was a gimmick as only buying it because my 14 year old would be driving in 2 years.

I saw a report on YouTube from auto expert which is a mechanical engineer out of Australia it's also a car reviewer period but yes connection to fleet vehicle buying.

He quoatedsome big company as saying that before subaru eyesight they kept a car for an average of 4 years, an average of 30% of them had been in accidents but once they start buying eyesight it was down to about 1 %. You will also notice a substantial insurance saving with a vehicle with eyesight verse is not eyesight Bringing the true cost of ownership between a limited with eyesight and a touring much much closer .

·
Registered
277 Posts
The regular outback also has outback specific cross bars so you have to get a lot of specific pieces specifically from Subaru to mount Certain bike Racks. While the touring uses "generic " thule aero bars

·
Registered
277 Posts
On a side note I personally like the look of the touring crossbars significantly better because they are much more low profile period I think it makes the outback look much more like a station wagon but my wife look likes the look of the limited roof rack because it makes the Subaru outback look much more suv like I hope any of my rambling has help you at all

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
336 Posts
Another downside of the non-touring bars is that they're only 39" wide vs. 47" for the stock Thules and don't have any overhang. Carrying a box & a bike or two boats would be tough on the 39s but possible on aeroblades (which you can get at 60"). Overhang and/or t-slot is necessary for either the Yakima or Thule load-assist kayak carriers. You can't do this: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...69-weight-limits-roof-racks-2.html#post472680 on the current stock rack.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was at the dealer over the weekend and liked the look and feel of the roof rack. I wonder if they can removed completely for a third party rack/crossbar?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i PZEV Tungsten Outback Limited W/Moonroof, Accessory Value Package A.
114 Posts
You should add to the poll 2018 3.6R with eyesight. To me eyesight is a must have.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Rack aside. I got the limited and wish I would have got the touring. I would have got the dark blue with java leather.....mmmm.java....

I personally would look in to the 2018 touring.

What ever you decided EYE SIGHT IS AMAZING ...

I just got back from a 1200 mile road trip. Lots of traffic. Eye sight made the drive so much easier. Averaged about 35 mpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts