Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a few limited outbacks and the new car, leather smell was overwhelming when I first got in the car. I assume this diminishes over time. Can anyone speak to how long this takes to go away?

nf

N

·
0 Posts
It depends. Mine seemed to "clear up" somewhere around the 4 to 5 month mark. But, to be fair, I'm more aware of the off-gassing odors from the foam/ plastic VOC's than others I know.

If you can crack the windows and let it bake in the sun, it should happen sooner. Maybe someone makes an activated charcoal filter that could help.

Mine lives in the garage and everytime I park it, I open all the windows. I also ride with my windows down when weather permits. At this point (6 months in) I dont smell it at all anymore. Again, ymmv.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
I test drove a few limited outbacks and the new car, leather smell was overwhelming when I first got in the car. I assume this diminishes over time. Can anyone speak to how long this takes to go away?

nf
It all depends on how big your dog is. Two big dogs, a week tops.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,950 Posts
Not so sure it's the leather. More likely solvents outgassing from the plastics, IMO.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,950 Posts
I wish there were a "leather smell" to wear off. Not sure why, but Subaru used a lot of vinyl in the Outback seating.
Should be listed as "leather-trimmed pleather". One would think they'd need to break the 50% content level to call it leather. Oh well, maybe it will wear well. Certainly looks nice enough.

·
Registered
2015 O/B Premium w e/s
147 Posts
If your looking FOR a a leather smell. I like the Zaino product. Mail order but fantastic treatment for your leather and a great light leather smell. Keeps your seats from cracking. I appreciate people sensitive to odors, but some smells are good, real good. I also think the OB's might be in the unique situation of being really fresh cars. You order it, they build it, you drive it. No sitting on lots off gassing. In any case an evergreen or musk deodorant tree from the dollar store will take your mind off the VOC's and bring you back to your sensibilities.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My 18 OB with premier leather stinks to high heaven. I broke in the OB with a trip to Montreal then Albany NY staring from Toronto.
The smell got into my clothing a stunk awful. I know the entire interior needs times to let the fumes dissipate but this is beyond reason.

Does anyone know if the leather is plastic treated?

Going back to the dealership to complain and hopefully they can give it a cleaning to get that layer that's soaking into my clothing?

Finally an interior worth boasting about and yet all I can tell people is truth and that stinks!!!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
For those who are whining about the new car smell, I have a very simple solution for you...buy used.

Seems like no matter what, there will always be someone whining or complaining about something that's seemingly benign.

·
Registered
215 Posts
For those who are whining about the new car smell, I have a very simple solution for you...buy used.

Seems like no matter what, there will always be someone whining or complaining about something that's seemingly benign.
why don't you stick your face into a zip-lock bag full of this smell for 8 hours then get back to me.

Either you have no sense of smell or no sense whatsoever. I believe the later wins every time.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
why don't you stick your face into a zip-lock bag full of this smell for 8 hours then get back to me.

Either you have no sense of smell or no sense whatsoever. I believe the later wins every time.
Well, I bought three brand new Subarus since 2006, including my current '17 OB Limited, so I am well aware of what a new car smells like. But I wouldn't recommend sticking "your face into a zip-lock bag full of this smell for 8 hours then get back to me" unless that's some sort or weird, fetish that you have, but unless I'm missing something, I don't think anyone else where would want to do that either, but hey, if that's how you get off, who am I to criticize.

I would say though, if that smell bugs you so much you could try this...roll down the windows. After a few days, or a week or so I promise the smell will go away. Maybe go through Taco Bell's drive-thru and order one of everything off the menu then light up that brand new car with all that hate coming out of your backside after that meal and I'm pretty sure that that new car smell will be nothing but a faint memory.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Doing the open window thing. We unfortunately got caught in rain that made it hard to tolerate. Hence the ziplock comment.

I guess my issue is how it transferred to my clothing. Never had that happen.

I know it will fade as my wife's new Impreza which is about a month old (with cloth) is all but gone.

Cheers

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
344 Posts

nf

Most unusual complaint about a car I’ve ever seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts