Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
stinks

It's been 8 months and 9,000 miles and the
interior smell is still awful on a hot day.
Not a leather smell; polymers/solvents/etc.
I need to install side window vents.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Agreed most of the smell is more than the seats but what got me was how the smell penetrated the back of my clothing.
It's already getting better just leaving the sunroof open is helping when parked.
Regardless I love my OB and I'll suck it up because I count on keeping this gem for many years.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited
24 Posts
Get yourself a hard bar of soap that has a pleasant smell and leave it inside one of the door pockets, it can work wonders. :laugh:

Agreed most of the smell is more than the seats but what got me was how the smell penetrated the back of my clothing.
It's already getting better just leaving the sunroof open is helping when parked.
Regardless I love my OB and I'll suck it up because I count on keeping this gem for many years.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
28 Posts
Our sense of smell is quite amazing, we can detect a few parts per billion concentration (or lack of concentration). If you are in a room 75 ft by 25 ft by 14 ft high, full of white ping pong balls, and one ball is red, your sense of smell will detect it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Our sense of smell is quite amazing, we can detect a few parts per billion concentration (or lack of concentration). If you are in a room 75 ft by 25 ft by 14 ft high, full of white ping pong balls, and one ball is red, your sense of smell will detect it.
I have a freakish heighten sense of smell.
My wife says I'm like a hound dog and suggest I go work for the RCMP to sniff out drugs.
It sucks being like this most of the time but sometimes it serves me well. I could always tell who was holding.

signed
ruff ruffing it out

·
Registered
215 Posts
I ended up get SMELLEZE New Car deodorizing and it's working like a charm. Big difference !
Puzzling no one recommended it.
Got it on Amazon

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was hoping to find a good answer because the smell makes me sick. It causes my lips to dry up, my sinus to ache, and my belly to churn, which is sad, becaus the wife and I are nearly set on one. Today we drove an XT with 5k and I hoped it would be better, but nope. The did give it to us for a couple days so I may try to let it air out some. It may be a deal breaker which is going to break my wifes heart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: I read some other articles about this and found to leave it in the sun with the windows down. I did that for a good part of the day and it helped. I also switched the A/C to use outside air instead of recycling. This evening it was better. I think it will take a lot more to get it completely offgassed. It's definitely not a "leather" smell. It's toxic. If we do buy it I plan to buy some activated charcoal pellets and keep them in the car to soak up the toxins.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Touring 3.6R
247 Posts
Mine is just over a year old now and the leather smell had become almost imperceptible. We recently had a couple of warmer days and it's as though the pores of the leather have opened up to release their odors again although no where near as strongly as when new.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
908 Posts
LOL, the “new car” smell is hardly leather. It’s chemical fumes from plastics, adhesives, foam and glue so take a good whiff.

Many of the posts on this forum are like no other auto enthusiast forum I have ever been on. 🙄

Reactions: jakemccoy

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,879 Posts
LOL, the “new car” smell is hardly leather. It’s chemical fumes from plastics, adhesives, foam and glue so take a good whiff.

Many of the posts on this forum are like no other auto enthusiast forum I have ever been on. 🙄
Wait, so that means my carefully thought out plan of getting cloth seats didn't save me from the deadly new car smell after all?

Son of a....

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,766 Posts
To be fair, even real leather has a chemical smell because it was highly processed in chemicals. And I like it, but I am weird like that.

·
Registered
2016, OB, 3.6R, Limited, Crystal White Pearl
32 Posts
Guess I'm weird too. I love that new car smell. I wish you could duplicate it (other than buying new). ;)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts