Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got about an inch of snow/sleet this morning. While driving steadily at 30-35 mph, I heard a very noticeable low pitch 'hum" from the engine, not road noise. No change in handling or steering. Any idea what it was? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Got about an inch of snow/sleet this morning. While driving steadily at 30-35 mph, I heard a very noticeable low pitch 'hum" from the engine, not road noise. No change in handling or steering. Any idea what it was? Thanks in advance!
It may have been your AWD working at transferring power. Are you sure it was your engine?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
Could also have been snow building up inside the wheels or elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
There is less road noise when driving on snow. Less noise means you can hear the engine better.

·
Registered
Forester - 1999, Outback 2.0D - 2010, Mazda MX-5 Miata - 2014.
129 Posts
I have a hum from my diesel when freezing and the car is cold. Would the hum sound like in the attached video? (The hum start six seconds into the take.)

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
My Outback was making a grinding notice whenever power was applied yesterday in the snow... Until I heard a chunk of snow/ice fall off (presumably from within one of the wheels or wheel wells), and then the noise stopped.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited; 2009 Forester Limited
74 Posts
Probably just the sound of a Subaru that's happy about finally being able to show its stuff! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts