Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
98 Legacy Outback, 2.5L, cat back high performace exhaust
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 Legacy Outback will need a new exhast system come inspection time. The current system is pretty rusty and leaking. It looks like a lot of people are using Borla headers and cat back systems. I'd like to go with stainless steel because of all the salted road driving I deal with due to frequent trips to VT. I'd also like to get a little more power and better gas milage (who doesn't).

Any suggestions about headers, cats, mufflers and piping are needed. Also any speed shops that would do this type of work in SE PA would be nice.

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 馃崷The Ice Cream Man馃崷
I highly reccommend Borla exhaust, IMO it is by far the highest quality and best performing exhaust system. I am putting a Borla exhaust on my OB very soon, I know others who have used Borla systems on many different cars and have been very pleased. Others may have different opinons on different systems, although in your case I can say that a Borla exhaust WILL NOT rust out ever. If so their products all have 1 Million Mile warranties on them, are you ever even going to put a million miles on your Outback? If so I commend you and Subaru! :D

I'll say this though, Borla products can be pricey although you really do get what you pay for ;)

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
A Borla header adds great sound and minimal gains, but I love mine. Also Cobb tuning makes SS exhaust for your application. You pair a header with a cat back you are going to get great sound and the engine will breathe so much better. And if you don't have a CAI, Cobb makes the best for NA engines. Brian

Registered
'06 LOB, '03 Taco, '97 MX-5

Registered
MCMXCVIII BGVI EJXXV
Unless the low-end power is an important asset to your lifestyle (such as myself), there is not much of a problem deleting the pendulum. :)

But low-end is something a lot of the EJ25 owners strive about.

-paK +2

I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 馃崷The Ice Cream Man馃崷
hvlwnc said:

That is a lovely sound. I need to figure out a quick way to destroy the exhaust system- any suggestions? :D
***In his best Russian voice***

Destroy?!? As in dismantle and CLUSH!!! Or as in dismantle and replace with superior anti-imperialist Soviet exhaust?

I say dismantle you current exhaust, CLUSH IT!!!, and then replace it with a smooth BORLA! system :17:

Registered
98 Legacy Outback, 2.5L, cat back high performace exhaust
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exhaust & emission laws in PA

Well I've a new exhaust but the emission laws in PA dictated what I could do to replace my rusty old system. Because the Outback comes with 3 cats, it must retain 3 cats for emissions inspection. There is a cat in the mid pipe so that eliminated all after market high flow cat back systems. My 2nd cat's had a rusty flange so it would have to replaced or repaired. Most places wanted replace not repair and replace the mid pipe.

Midas to the rescue. The Pottstown Midas shop welded a new flange on my 2nd cat, cut the mid pipe after the 3rd cat and welded a flange on it, then welded a single pipe to a high performance muffler at the rear. Midas carries Ravin high performance mufflers. It's a little loud but not out of hand. My son loves it. My wife thinks it sounds like my friends ski boat. The price was right. I got out of there for under $400 for parts and labor. I'll send some pictures later.

More things to consider. One of the mechanics at the dealer said the weak point in the exhaust is the heads not the rest of the system. He said don't bother with headers unless you port the heads and with current PA laws there isn't anything you can do about the cats. Also the trans is not built to handle much more horse power than stock. They are constantly rebuilding the WRX transmissions. His feeling was leave it stock except for possibly a better following muffler. Buy and STI if you want to go fast. The new 6 speeds are bullit proof.

Registered
The only thing I would be careful about with a stainless steel system is not so much noise but resonance. I just got rid of an SS system in my GTI. It drove me crazy at about 3000 RPM's. The whole interior "buzzed". It is something that SS does. That is why you are starting to see aluminized SS systems. It cuts down on the resonance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts