Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Before I bought my Outback last Feb, the previous owner had put a new exhaust system on it within the year. I happened to look down there today and noticed a lot of orange all over the metal exhaust pipe in front of the muffler. Also rust forming around the weld for the tail pipe to the muffler.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
146 Posts
The welds are bare metal and will rust very quickly. If the rest of the exhaust system is stainless or otherwise coated it will slow things down. Exhaust gasses are really corrosive and the heating and cooling of parts doesn't help the situation. It's just going to happen. It will just be cosmetic for a decade or so, after that you might have tiny leaks pop up.

-Tim

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay - I just wanted to make sure all was well. I've always had old, original exhaust systems and never a new one haha. It isn't stainless, more like just 'normal' metal if that makes sense. Thanks for the help guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Mihogan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing