Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum for this.

The new Eyesight feature in the 2013 Outbacks is camera based instead of radar or infrared. Anyone know how this would work at night or adverse weather conditions like fog?

Thanks.

Alan

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
It sorta works like your eyes work in those conditions. If you can't see, neither can it. In fact, if you drive due West when the sun is low and you have to squint to see and there is glare coming off every surface, EyeSight will tell you it's deactivating because it can't see either.

It can see in the rain and in the dark if you can, for the most part.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sort of diminishes its usefulness. These are exactly the times you really need a feature like this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know what your expectations for the system are, but if you cannot see the vehicle should not be moving forward.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you are missing the point. The purpose of hardware like this is to warn you if you are approaching an object too fast. Even if you can see the object you might not realize this. This is where radar /infrared systems have the advantage

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think I understand your point and I'm offering an alternative opinion. You are making the case that radar/laser systems complement the driver's abilities, especially when the driver is compromised. I think we agree that any system that purports to substitute for human judgement is still in development for mass audiences. In fact, the most promising systems have success with binocular vision similar to EyeSight.

While you may prefer the laser or radar approaches, I believe the dual camera equipped systems allows superior discernment in a dynamic environment. To each his own.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The system introduced by Subaru certainly has some nice features, like recognizing pedestrians. And I would certainly get it if I was getting a new Subaru, but its inability to work well when visible is poor is something I hope Subaru addresses.

I have a personal experience where this could have help me. I was driving my 2004 Outback (I now have a 2011) down a mountain at night in heavy fog. There was no traffic and I was driving slow, but that didn't make me very happy when I suddenly came upon the back of an 18 wheel right in front of me. I was able to avoid an accident, but an extra set of eyes would have helped.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I guess I prefer to be stuck in a VFR world and really have no interest in going places that can't be seen. I think I would appreciate the input from another system and I hope they improve soon.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I think you are overestimating the ability of radar / infared systems. They too have their limitations. Radar has certain parameters it must meet just as infared does too. Radar can't detect all objects and can be easily confused. Same goes for infared.

I'm sure there are times when EyeSight will detect an object neither radar or infared could have and vice versa.

I think Subaru has chosen a technology that is still in it's primacy and will be greatly evolved. Ideally you would use all 3 (and a few more, sonar to name one) but cost is a big concern. If you ever review specs on autonomous cars they tend to have 4 or 5 detection systems, each one covering a shortcoming of the other.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I just returned from my Subaru dealer where I had my car serviced. I talked with the assistant service manager and the consumer relations manager. In addition to the limitations I stated earlier, the EyeSight does not work well in rain, if there is a sun glare, or if there is something on the window like Rainex.

As the consumer relations manager said, it is still a new technology.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Snow is a bigger problem than rain. I've driven through a couple of rain showers of various intensity with no problems.

Snow, on the other hand, collects on the windshield and covers the lines on the road.

Sun glare has to be pretty intense before it's an issue and even then it usually gets confused for just a few seconds, in my experience.

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
I chose not to get it, only because I don't like buying the first version of anything. I buy my Subarus after the third or fourth year of each generational run, not as soon as the new generations come out. I'm just more conservative as I get older. The rest of you are pioneers that keep improving technology.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I plan to get it, probably on a one of the lighter color cars. Of course it has limitations and maybe some of those will be addressed in future years, but it still performs some important functions. I test drove a car with it and was very impressed. FYI I didn't get to test the eyesight feature.:p

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
I know what the Eyesight feature is.
I just did not understand how you were impressed with something you did not test.
Good luck with your new Outback.:29:

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
I have it and its fantastic, and its not really new as its been out in other countries for a while. By NOT being radar it is able to recognize pedestrians and animals better. I had it shut off once due to sun glare and it tells you. There is no 50% 75% conditioning as the service manager lead you to believe. Its either on or off, 100% or 0%. The system knows if it can't recognize whats going on and shuts it self off and tells you its off. Nothing is perfect but designing a system that is self aware of this is brilliant to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have it and its fantastic, and its not really new as its been out in other countries for a while. By NOT being radar it is able to recognize pedestrians and animals better. I had it shut off once due to sun glare and it tells you. There is no 50% 75% conditioning as the service manager lead you to believe. Its either on or off, 100% or 0%. The system knows if it can't recognize whats going on and shuts it self off and tells you its off. Nothing is perfect but designing a system that is self aware of this is brilliant to me.
Foxrider68, Would you keep me posted about when the system shuts off? Just curious whether it's glare or it's heat. I notice you live in WA. Do you get days in the nineties? If so, how's it been performing?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts