Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace what's in there now. I'm looking for something in amber, doesn't cost $30 but definitely gets the job done. Any suggestions, comments?

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
I'll be honest, I spent a little more ($50 for the pair) and got 3000K HIDs for my fog lights. I specifically went for putting them in the fogs because they flood the road with light, and I can turn them off when I don't need them so I don't blind the **** out of oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Even when I leave them on, I've never been flashed.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not set up for a ballast application, so I don't think I could run HID's. I just put the $60 top Silverstars in the car and they blow away what fogs I have now. But, they won't be worth a crap in the fog, so I'm looking for a plug & play that will focus only on the 25'x25' area in front of the car.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Bang for the buck, I've had good luck with my Nokya fogs. $20 for the set of two.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Another thing to do is buy 9005 bulbs instead of the 9006 for the fogs. You'll get more light and only need to trim one of the tabs on the bulb slightly to make it happen.

If you want yellow/amber, you may want to look at a selective yellow filter for the lens rather than the bulb.

·
Registered
2002 VDC Outback sedan
173 Posts
Someone else mentioned a type of hybrid bulb for the fogs. Infrared reflectors or some such thing. Nearly as bright as hid but still a halogen. About $23 a bulb but darned if I can remember the item number.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
HIR bulbs. They have an internal coating to reflect heat inwards, which excites the filament more than can be done with electrical current alone. Better power efficiency and light output at the expense of bulb life, no need for oversize wires to feed them.

I don't think they have their own model numbers though.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Indeed, HIR 9012s would be the most direct fit. Some Lamin-X or similar yellow film would be a good way to get your color desired, and you could always change your mind. BTW, John Deere part # for the HIRs is AH211917.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
Find em at Autozone, Advance, etc.? Or do they need to be ordered?
Thanks
Following advice from Jogosub on this Forum, I changed my four turn signals to Nokya Hyper yellow bulbs, which I got from Amazon.

Sold by DC Autoparts
Condition: new
$27.80
In addition I replaced my fog bulbs with Nokya hyper yellow, but at the time the proper size wasn't available from Amazon, so I got them from Auto Car Performance Parts | Auto Accessories | Aftermarket Auto Parts. I added heavy duty harnesses as well.

NOKYA Hyper Yellow Pro NOKYA-HB-YELLOW-NOK7618

Wire Harness Option = With H11 Halogen Light Bulbs

Plug-N-Play Wire Harness (+$15)
(Stage I, H11)

I think they look great.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,346 Posts
Following advice from Jogosub on this Forum, I changed my four turn signals to Nokya Hyper yellow bulbs, which I got from Amazon.

4x Nokya 7440 20mm Hyper Yellow 21W
Sold by DC Autoparts
Condition: new
$27.80
In addition I replaced my fog bulbs with Nokya hyper yellow, but at the time the proper size wasn't available from Amazon, so I got them from Auto Car Performance Parts | Auto Accessories | Aftermarket Auto Parts. I added heavy duty harnesses as well.

NOKYA Hyper Yellow Pro NOKYA-HB-YELLOW-NOK7618

Wire Harness Option = With H11 Halogen Light Bulbs

Plug-N-Play Wire Harness (+$15)
(Stage I, H11)

I think they look great.
I also did this and could not be happier. I can't tell you if those numbers are compatible with GEN3 though.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
Bang for the buck, I've had good luck with my Nokya fogs. $20 for the set of two.
So did I - I put the Nokyas Hyper yellows there....I use Nokyas everywhere... I hear rumours that some disgrunted PIAA employees started that company a while back....to compete with PIAA and their ridiculous pricing!

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like the Nokya's have high praise and ease of install...what else could you want! Thanks for all of the valuable input.I'll see about getting a pair of them and will report back.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
I also did this and could not be happier. I can't tell you if those numbers are compatible with GEN3 though.
Thanks for the credit Budaru ... I see I have some "positive" impact on this forum after all....

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll be honest, I spent a little more ($50 for the pair) and got 3000K HIDs for my fog lights. I specifically went for putting them in the fogs because they flood the road with light, and I can turn them off when I don't need them so I don't blind the **** out of oncoming drivers.
I'm thinking about doing this, since my wagon needs both foglights. With new lenses I think it'll be best to run HID bulbs for the yellow light and not laminx. Hows the light coverage on the ground look? could you compare it to stock in any way?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts