Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chilton guide says if you listen at the fuel filler opening, you should hear a whirring sound for two or three seconds when you turn the ignition key to ON (but not to START). The guy who stopped to help where my 2000 Outback Limited Sedan conked out said he heard the whirring sound, but the mechanic says I need a new fuel pump anyways "because you have no fuel pressure"... What do you all think? Many details below...

The engine made noise like it was trying to start, but just never could. Visually saw belts moving, etc. The whole thing started Saturday night. I'd driven up and down some steep hills during the day. It rested 5 hours, then I come out of a party at midnight, it starts fine, it go up and down some very steep hills (this is Seattle!), and after a mere 0.7 mile, it conks out so quickly that I can't even steer to the curb. A friend pushed me.

Next day, tried a cold start. Again, car tries and fails to start.

Monday, same thing. We also put a voltimeter on the old battery and got reading of 12. Kinda low, but headlights and radio work fine. Fuse to fuel pump isn't broken, plus we hear whirring noise from fuel filler cap when I turn the ignition key.

Tow truck guy put charging clamps on for several minutes. He thinks horn sounds stronger, but car still doesn't start.

History including mileage when component replaced [current mileage around 126,000]:

Battery (62,562)
Air filter (110,167)
Fuel injection service (110,167)
Oil change (121,564)
Transmission fluid/flush (121,564)
Alternator (117,146)
Spark plugs and wires (123,669)
May need:
Fuel filter (94,531)
Coolant change (94,531) Also, inspected cooling system hoses and connections -- replaced upper.

Mechanic says needs new battery and fuel pump and filter. I told him about the whirring at the fuel pump and asked how he determined it's a fuel pump problem. He just said because it has no fuel pressure. I've authorized the change ($430 just for the part, plus 1.3 hours labor) and am having second thoughts, though of course 126K miles is a long time. Thoughts from the peanut gallery? Thanks!

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Some of the H6 owners are starting to see a failed O ring seal on the fuel pump. The pump is fine but the failed seal was preventing the fuel pump from creating the proper fuel pressure and the car was cutting out and more or less starving for fuel in some cases.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Subiesailor! What's H6? (If it's 6 cylinders, fyi, my engine is horizontally opposed 4-cylinder 2.5 liter.) How do they test for the o-ring in the fuel pump you mentioned? Should they have tested the fuel pump relay? (I only visually looked at the fuel pump FUSE, but also the guy who stopped to help said it was whirring so we thought the fuel pump was working and didn't bother to try to get to the relay.)

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,936 Posts
It has happened I think once that 'we' know of on a 4cyl.

If the pump runs and pressure and flow is low, I would go into it with a pump on hand, and a new cap with a new o-ring, and if it doesn't need the pump, return the pump.

If it does need the pump, sell the cap from the old pump!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where would I sell the cap? (It's too late to try the o-ring idea... they already did the change... $430 for the new pump, $35 for the new fuel filter, 1.3 hours of labor -- that might include the fuel pressure gauge test which they said showed that fuel pressure was low)... Total is $750ish. So I'd like to get some money back selling the cap! (Do any of you think those prices are high, or is it just me?)

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Dang, for that price you could have bought 2 entire pump module assemblies.
Only takes about 20-30 minutes to service the pump, its not difficult.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
LOL thats about the standard fuel pump cost with labor. Sure beats the Suburban fuel pump that died on us about 7 miles east of Elko NV doing about 75mph on I80.

You know its a common problem when Siri suggests fuel pump failure as the first cause by our back seat driver being a wise ass. Napa Auto parts in Elko had it. Had 10 actually given he said they sell about 10 a week. 3hrs later we had it installed while laying in the parking lot under the truck. Fuel pump was $350 - Dealer wanted $900 and couldn't get the truck into the shop for 4 days!
3.5 hours after coasting to a stop on the shoulder of I80 we were back on the road.

By the way out of curiosity I asked if he stocked Subaru fuel pumps. Seriously!!! Given we almost took the new Gen4 Ob instead. He laughed and said last subaru fuel pump he recalls selling was like 12yrs prior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should I ask for the old fuel pump back, or will they give me some "environmental impact/safe disposal of fuel-related part" answer? Could I tell anything by looking at it (or posting a picture)? Sounds like I got taken and would like to get as much education as possible out of my $750 "tuition":mad:

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,936 Posts
If they have it, they will give it back to you. You always have the right to get your old parts back when there is no core charge, and even if there is if you pony up the core charge. The parts don't stop being yours just because a mechanic removes 'em.

Only real exception I can think of are unsafe parts replaced under a recall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts