Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I just bought a 1996 Manual 2.2. It's got 223k and the clutch throwout bearing is noisy so will need a clutch soon. Stabilizer bushings are hard and loose so rattling.

My questions:

• When I downshift I get a LOT of shudder. Is that worn mounts/bushings? Which ones should I replace first? Or is it something else? Clutch related?
  • Any recommendations on the best Parts option for the clutch? I want quality parts so I don't have to do this again for a long time.
  • Also, just curious, the dash area where the temp controls are is completely dark at night. The lights in the buttons go on when pushed but nothing is backlit. Is that correct or are the bulbs out?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
'98 Outback
219 Posts
Hi folks,

I just bought a 1996 Manual 2.2. It's got 223k and the clutch throwout bearing is noisy so will need a clutch soon. Stabilizer bushings are hard and loose so rattling.

My questions:

• When I downshift I get a LOT of shudder. Is that worn mounts/bushings? Which ones should I replace first? Or is it something else? Clutch related?
  • Any recommendations on the best Parts option for the clutch? I want quality parts so I don't have to do this again for a long time.
  • Also, just curious, the dash area where the temp controls are is completely dark at night. The lights in the buttons go on when pushed but nothing is backlit. Is that correct or are the bulbs out?
Thanks in advance for your help.
I'll answer the easy one. Yes, the dash illumination lamps are burned out. Those pushbuttons have a backlight. They're not too hard to get to. I even had to take apart the heating control unit to replace a couple. I got mine at the Subaru dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts