Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, im a 1st time subaru owner, I picked up a Outback Wagon a few weeks back and Im rather happy with it. I guess this is my introduction post.

2001 OBW 5speed 230k miles, h4 - thats the 4cyl right, i picked it up for 3300.

Here it is at it stands.

And I want to put a light duty bed liner on the exterior door pieces kinda like this picture. Ive done some searches but I have yet to find anyone who has actually gone ahead and done it. ( or at least documented it)

Also should there be a chirp when locking the door with the key fob?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
That bed liner idea is pretty good I've never thought of that ( or seen it ) if you do it post what you think of it.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
Good price. Nice looking car. If you have the factory manual, it's very comprehensive, and will give you multiple options for your key fob. And your engine is a H pattern flat 4.

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
Congrats on your find! The bed liner is a pretty neat idea, personally I would go a touch lighter gray, but still, looks cool.

The factory keyless entry fob should be an orange and purple button by '01 (I think). Either way, to enable the 'audible'; hold the lock+unlock on the fob for like 3 seconds and it'll honk, do the same to turn it off. Be forewarned- it's a pretty loud and obnoxious 'honk'. The nice 'chirp' noise didn't show up until maybe '04.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
143 Posts
Congrats on your find! The bed liner is a pretty neat idea, personally I would go a touch lighter gray, but still, looks cool.

The factory keyless entry fob should be an orange and purple button by '01 (I think). Either way, to enable the 'audible'; hold the lock+unlock on the fob for like 3 seconds and it'll honk, do the same to turn it off. Be forewarned- it's a pretty loud and obnoxious 'honk'. The nice 'chirp' noise didn't show up until maybe '04.

Good luck!
I have an 01 Outback and I have the Black/Gray only key fob. I disabled that "chirp" because it was a loud honk with the factory horn. Very annoying if you ask me.

My girlfriend has an 03 Baja, and she has the orange and purple key fob you are talking about, and has the nice "chirp" that is much nicer to the ears then my loud honk.

Good find on the car, I picked up mine with 150k a few years ago for 6k. I like the look of that bed liner, but not sure I would want to do it to mine. I have a white car, and always thought it would be cool to have my silver professionally painted white to match the rest of the car. Make it look more like a Legacy.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
You could also look into PlastiDip. It's pretty durable, fairly cheap, and it's easy to remove if you need/want to. I'm planning to do mine with it this summer. It comes in a variety of colors, too. I'm leaning towards gunmetal, personally.

If you ever want to change the color, you can peel it off and put something different on. Or, if you ever decide to sell and want to remove it, that's easily done.

http://dipyourcar.com is the place to go for the best selection.

Check out this Saturn Vue...
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184724&highlight=plastidip&page=2
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186727&highlight=plastidip

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
There are several bed liner and plastidip threads on the forum. I'm pretty sure Brucey still has bed liner on his Outback.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
Oh, and that's what I paid for my '01 VDC with a little under 230k on it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
I have an 01 Outback and I have the Black/Gray only key fob. I disabled that "chirp" because it was a loud honk with the factory horn. Very annoying if you ask me.

My girlfriend has an 03 Baja, and she has the orange and purple key fob you are talking about, and has the nice "chirp" that is much nicer to the ears then my loud honk.

Good find on the car, I picked up mine with 150k a few years ago for 6k. I like the look of that bed liner, but not sure I would want to do it to mine. I have a white car, and always thought it would be cool to have my silver professionally painted white to match the rest of the car. Make it look more like a Legacy.
I also would like to paint the silver parts of my car. Never been a fan of 2-tone vehicles. I'm wondering if the silver can just be painted over, or if it would need to be stripped first.(front and rear bumpers are silver also, and would seem to be a big pain in the *** to strip. Friend of mine bought a Honda CRX new in 1984, and had the gray parts painted to match the rest of the black the car came with. What a difference! Ironically, in '85, the new CRX's were painted in solid colors. Someone at Honda was paying attention....

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
^ You may want to do a photoshop of the color on the car or use plastidip before committing to paint. The plastic parts are paintable after stripping and treatment. If you don't strip it first, every flaw will be more apparent.

·
Registered
"Molly"-2002 H4 5spd
50 Posts
That looks really nice, I'm thinking about doing the panels and wheels on my 02 with black plasti dip this weekend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I did it.

There are a couple places I should of gone over better. But over all Its way better than I thought it was going to be, especially for the price and how easy it was.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
^ You may want to do a photoshop of the color on the car or use plastidip before committing to paint. The plastic parts are paintable after stripping and treatment. If you don't strip it first, every flaw will be more apparent.
I like the plastidip idea a lot. Do you know how durable it is?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Thousands use it on their cars and rims and it is durable. Forum members use it. Even in the car wash with high pressure it remains unscathed.

Google plastidip car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts