Subaru Outback Forums banner

1881 - 1900 of 1927 Posts

·
Registered
09 Outback XT 5MT ‘11 F150 Lariat Limited ‘97 Mustang Cobra Convertible ‘90 Thunderbird SC
8 Posts
Are you looking for an XT? I'm not here to discourage I promise, but I was burned after 3 years...
Too late. I found one that wasn’t a rust bucket about 2 weeks ago. I’ve already started playing with it. My situation is a little different. I have a lot of cars and own an auto repair shop so cars breaking is not really an issue.

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport, 2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0 FWD, 2009 Outback XT Limited 5MT - R.I.P.
377 Posts
Too late. I found one that wasn’t a rust bucket about 2 weeks ago. I’ve already started playing with it. My situation is a little different. I have a lot of cars and own an auto repair shop so cars breaking is not really an issue. View attachment 480154
Man I might be a little jealous...

Throw in a nicer turbo and remove the banjo filters while you're at it!

·
Registered
09 Outback XT 5MT ‘11 F150 Lariat Limited ‘97 Mustang Cobra Convertible ‘90 Thunderbird SC
8 Posts
Man I might be a little jealous...

Throw in a nicer turbo and remove the banjo filters while you're at it!
Turbo will come. Just trying to fix all the little things first. I’ve started replacing all of the bushings and I couldn’t stand the sound so I built a cat back for it last night.
I will most likely add a resonator when I do the downpipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought an '08 XT yesterday, with only 104k miles on it, charcoal grey. Dang that thing drives good. 2 things concern me, and maybe you guys can help me or direct me to the appropriate threads, etc.
1- mode selector knob on center console ("I", "S", "S#") doesn't seem to work always. During the test drive it seemed to be stuck in I for a bit, but I managed to get it to change to S, but can't get it to go back. The steering wheel S# button allows me to go between S & S#, so I'm ok there, but just can't get back to I. Maybe try cleaning the contacts?
2- maybe much more serious (and of course it didn't show up until after I'd bought it and was driving home). Not every time it shifts gears, but many times, there is an awfully strong shutter (?) that basically feels like driving over washboards in the road. The first time it happened, I literally thought it WAS something in the road, but then it happened again. Letting off the gas or applying more as soon as you feel it stops the shuttering immediately. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All... I just picked up a 2009 manual XT, I got it for a good price (I think, lol). Very clean, it has 130k on it. Motor went POP or so I think, I have to look in to it further (fingers crossed). But we will see how that pans out... I have been hunting through this forum getting to know all about this car. This would be my 4th Subaru, I guess I could say i'm addicted to them o_O

... I'm just itching to get back in to a turbo!!!

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport, 2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0 FWD, 2009 Outback XT Limited 5MT - R.I.P.
377 Posts
Hello All... I just picked up a 2009 manual XT, I got it for a good price (I think, lol). Very clean, it has 130k on it. Motor went POP or so I think, I have to look in to it further (fingers crossed). But we will see how that pans out... I have been hunting through this forum getting to know all about this car. This would be my 4th Subaru, I guess I could say i'm addicted to them o_O

... I'm just itching to get back in to a turbo!!!
That's a fun car ya got there!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
This thread is making me heartsick for my 2005 XT manual that was t-boned. I had planned to keep the car for as long as possible but its life was cut short but for the 5 years I had it, it was perfection. It was technically the Legacy GT Wagon version, but just a lowered Outback. Heartsick!

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
121 Posts
Bought an '08 XT yesterday, with only 104k miles on it, charcoal grey. Dang that thing drives good. 2 things concern me, and maybe you guys can help me or direct me to the appropriate threads, etc.
1- mode selector knob on center console ("I", "S", "S#") doesn't seem to work always. During the test drive it seemed to be stuck in I for a bit, but I managed to get it to change to S, but can't get it to go back. The steering wheel S# button allows me to go between S & S#, so I'm ok there, but just can't get back to I. Maybe try cleaning the contacts?
2- maybe much more serious (and of course it didn't show up until after I'd bought it and was driving home). Not every time it shifts gears, but many times, there is an awfully strong shutter (?) that basically feels like driving over washboards in the road. The first time it happened, I literally thought it WAS something in the road, but then it happened again. Letting off the gas or applying more as soon as you feel it stops the shuttering immediately. Thoughts?
Congrats.
#1 - well it won't be much help for you but "I" mode is just horrible - yes I know it is sort of ECO mode but I just can't stand it. That said, have you tried pushing the knob down? This is how you switch to "I". Turning knob to the left won't do anything.
#2 - sorry no clue.

Couple random points:
Get it tuned by someone reputable and you will be shocked how much better car performs.
At 104K you will need a timing belt unless it has been done already.
Seems like rear sway bar is a popular mode and it does help with a body roll a lot.

·
Registered
377 Posts
This thread is making me heartsick for my 2005 XT manual that was t-boned. I had planned to keep the car for as long as possible but its life was cut short but for the 5 years I had it, it was perfection. It was technically the Legacy GT Wagon version, but just a lowered Outback. Heartsick!
Only had mine 3 years 😩.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats.
#1 - well it won't be much help for you but "I" mode is just horrible - yes I know it is sort of ECO mode but I just can't stand it. That said, have you tried pushing the knob down? This is how you switch to "I". Turning knob to the left won't do anything.
#2 - sorry no clue.

Couple random points:
Get it tuned by someone reputable and you will be shocked how much better car performs.
At 104K you will need a timing belt unless it has been done already.
Seems like rear sway bar is a popular mode and it does help with a body roll a lot.
**Note: Discovered after speaking the hubs that I had inadvertently filled the car with mid-grade fuel before heading home. So, to be clear, test drive was great, no shudder/stutter, bought the car, straight to BP gas station, like 15-20 minutes later, the stutter begins under long, slow, continuous acceleration, like when coming up to speed on the interstate. (No, I don't have a lead foot) Since then, wev'e been slowly replacing the fuel we use with premium, but since the world is on lockdown, it's a slow process this week. "Seems" to be getting better. Could this be simply because of the mid-grade gas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello. Subaru newbie here. 1st Subie... owned for about a week. So far I'm really liking it. 2005 OB XT MT in boring silver, lol, with black interior. Runs amazing! 99k miles. Searched high and low, but every other color had like a million miles on them, so silver it is. Two owner So Cal car with some recent maintenance records. Paid about half the price sub 100k BP6's go for around here. Finding a 5 speed was also a bit of a chore. Will be doing some off-road mods and general clean up. Look forward to the roaming the forum for answers and ideas.
BP6-01.jpg BP6-02.jpg

·
Registered
2006 Outback xt ltd mt
10 Posts
I joined the Subaru club in early February after looking for a long time. I was wanting a turbo charged manual transmission Subaru, so when this '06 Outback XT ltd with 103,000 miles came up, I jumped on it.

The day I picked it up I got it licensed and went back to work. Once I got off, I discovered a large puddle of oil underneath. Turns out, it was the axle seal on the right side. I didn't want to drive it, so I took it to the closest local shop to work. They told me the inter cooler, power steering pump, turbo oil return line and oil pan was leaking.

Turns out, the oil pan was fine, the guy just didn't have a gasket on the plug. That was an easy fix. He also used heater hose to replace the return line. Swapped that, bought and replaced the inter cooler along with the air duct that fits on the front right side of the inter cooler.

Just this week I addressed the power steering pump. I replaced the suction line and clamps, as well as put a new o-ring on the elbow and changed the fluid with ATF. However, I'm still getting a bad whine. It sounds horrible and the fluid is foaming quite a bit.

I was hoping these things would solve my oil leaking problems, but no. Put it on jacks the other night, finally took the undercover off and discovered that the passenger side valve cover gasket is shot (which I've learned is common). Oil is leaking out of the bottom of the timing belt cover, which I'm assuming is a shaft seal. There is 90 degree bend hose on the driver side that is under the timing belt cover that appears to be leaking. Also, there is a leak point next to the turbo oil return line. I believe it's a banjo bolt. Also, it appears the oil cooler needs to be changed. It is so hard to tell.

I'm trying really hard not to be discouraged, but this is frustrating--i've learned some valuable lessons. I love the car, how it looks, how it feels etc. I just want to drive it without worrying. The few times I have driven it, I get the white smoke from under the hood and I'm just hoping nothing else goes wrong.

For now, here is my to do list:
Timing belt
Valve cover gaskets
Banjo bolt
90 degree hose
Change front differential/transmission oil (already did rear)

Can anyone lay out a list of other things i need to check while I'm taking all of this apart? This is supposed to be my daily driver, but since I'm working from home on quarantine, I can have it apart in my garage for a while. I would love suggestions on a part source, I know not to buy Gates, but other than that, I'm lost. Is this stuff I would be able to tackle? I'm new to turbos and Subaru. I do my own oil changes, have replaced things like alternators, blower motors, thermostats etc. Not sure if I want to tackle this, but am willing to try, would rather not pay all the labor, especially if it can just sit in my garage since I'm not driving it.

I would love to do more, cosmetically, performance etc. but need to address the essentials.

Here she is. I love the looks of this car:

Here is the 90 degree under the driver side of timing belt cover. Can also see an oil drip from the cover:

Here is the oil cooler:

Valve cover:

Another view of the valve cover, dripping onto exhuast:

More oil from timing belt cover:

Banjo bolt?:

Hard to see, but all of these components on passenger side are wet:

Any tips, help, parts, parts identification, tools, advice etc is much appreciated! I'm happy to have a Subaru, but trying hard to love this car, I don't think the previous owner cared for it much. A friend of mine said I was doing this car a favor.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome! I feel your pain. I bough the same exact car and have been taking care of a bunch of little "neglect" things. I can't offer much help in the way of technical assistance as I too am new to the Subie world but these cars seem to be overall solid and fun. It looks like you picked up a solid base to start with so IMHO, invest the time to make it right, learn along the way and focus on the end goal. Making things right is great quarantine therapy. When frustration sets in, walk away and tackle it later. As far as parts are concerned, I have been able to pick up several factory Subaru parts online and what seems to be much less than dealership retail.

·
Registered
2006 Outback xt ltd mt
10 Posts
  1. Welcome! I feel your pain. I bough the same exact car and have been taking care of a bunch of little "neglect" things. I can't offer much help in the way of technical assistance as I too am new to the Subie world but these cars seem to be overall solid and fun. It looks like you picked up a solid base to start with so IMHO, invest the time to make it right, learn along the way and focus on the end goal. Making things right is great quarantine therapy. When frustration sets in, walk away and tackle it later. As far as parts are concerned, I have been able to pick up several factory Subaru parts online and what seems to be much less than dealership retail.
    Thanks SilverBP6. I believe it’s a solid car too, I’m just itching to drive it without worry-I’ll definitely be using quarantine time to get it up to speed.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback XT Limitied 5MT
2 Posts
Hey everyone,
Picked up an 06 XT Limited a few weeks ago now. Got it with a dead #4 cylinder expecting ringland failure. After some more diagnosing I found that there was exhaust valve failure. Pulled it apart found a valve with a broken piece off the face, checked the cylinder walls and piston and it all looks good! The previous owner had done some decent add-ons so taking it further in the rebuild. I plan on doing a build thread when I get some time, for now just a simple Hello!.
-Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope I'm in the right place.
The wife got a new to her 06 Outback XT 2.5 about 4 years ago. The body isn't is the best shape but she's a runner and the interior is in good shape. I've had to replace the sunroof, radiator, intake hose from the airbox to the turbo and a bunch of other gaskets and hoses and cleaned up the engine compartment. All of that was done within the last year. The sunroof is a real bitch by the way in addition to costing over $1,000... ouch!

Anyway I'm Dave and here's Ruby. Yes, the wife named her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I joined the Subaru club in early February after looking for a long time. I was wanting a turbo charged manual transmission Subaru, so when this '06 Outback XT ltd with 103,000 miles came up, I jumped on it.

The day I picked it up I got it licensed and went back to work. Once I got off, I discovered a large puddle of oil underneath. Turns out, it was the axle seal on the right side. I didn't want to drive it, so I took it to the closest local shop to work. They told me the inter cooler, power steering pump, turbo oil return line and oil pan was leaking.

Turns out, the oil pan was fine, the guy just didn't have a gasket on the plug. That was an easy fix. He also used heater hose to replace the return line. Swapped that, bought and replaced the inter cooler along with the air duct that fits on the front right side of the inter cooler.

Just this week I addressed the power steering pump. I replaced the suction line and clamps, as well as put a new o-ring on the elbow and changed the fluid with ATF. However, I'm still getting a bad whine. It sounds horrible and the fluid is foaming quite a bit.

I was hoping these things would solve my oil leaking problems, but no. Put it on jacks the other night, finally took the undercover off and discovered that the passenger side valve cover gasket is shot (which I've learned is common). Oil is leaking out of the bottom of the timing belt cover, which I'm assuming is a shaft seal. There is 90 degree bend hose on the driver side that is under the timing belt cover that appears to be leaking. Also, there is a leak point next to the turbo oil return line. I believe it's a banjo bolt. Also, it appears the oil cooler needs to be changed. It is so hard to tell.

I'm trying really hard not to be discouraged, but this is frustrating--i've learned some valuable lessons. I love the car, how it looks, how it feels etc. I just want to drive it without worrying. The few times I have driven it, I get the white smoke from under the hood and I'm just hoping nothing else goes wrong.

For now, here is my to do list:
Timing belt
Valve cover gaskets
Banjo bolt
90 degree hose
Change front differential/transmission oil (already did rear)

Can anyone lay out a list of other things i need to check while I'm taking all of this apart? This is supposed to be my daily driver, but since I'm working from home on quarantine, I can have it apart in my garage for a while. I would love suggestions on a part source, I know not to buy Gates, but other than that, I'm lost. Is this stuff I would be able to tackle? I'm new to turbos and Subaru. I do my own oil changes, have replaced things like alternators, blower motors, thermostats etc. Not sure if I want to tackle this, but am willing to try, would rather not pay all the labor, especially if it can just sit in my garage since I'm not driving it.

I would love to do more, cosmetically, performance etc. but need to address the essentials.

Here she is. I love the looks of this car:
View attachment 482665

Here is the 90 degree under the driver side of timing belt cover. Can also see an oil drip from the cover:
View attachment 482666

Here is the oil cooler:
View attachment 482667

Valve cover:
View attachment 482668

Another view of the valve cover, dripping onto exhuast:
View attachment 482669

More oil from timing belt cover:
View attachment 482671

Banjo bolt?:
View attachment 482675

Hard to see, but all of these components on passenger side are wet:
View attachment 482674

Any tips, help, parts, parts identification, tools, advice etc is much appreciated! I'm happy to have a Subaru, but trying hard to love this car, I don't think the previous owner cared for it much. A friend of mine said I was doing this car a favor.
[/QUOTE

When you get around to the banjo bolt if it's on an oil line, there are two of them. Do yourself this favor. Take the inline oil filters out of them and throw them in the trash. They are a source of many headaches and blown turbos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all!

I'm looking to purchase my first outback. I live in San Francisco, so my budget is keeping me in the 3rd generation range. I found a 2007 Outback XT Limited with 125k miles on it for 5 grand.

I haven't purchased a vehicle with over 100k miles before and have been scraping the web looking for anything I can read about this 13 year old car performing today. One forum I ran into had the following quote about the car, "Extremely fragile motor. Most of these are in salvage yards or crushed. Not sure I'd take it for free!"

I'm just checking for a second opinion.

Thanks in advance!

(Posted car -> Rare 2007 Subaru Outback XT 2.5 AWD SI-Drive Clean Title Passed Smog...)

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,669 Posts
That's a bit overstated - there are many out there that are maintained correctly and get by - but they can' be ignored for maintenance.

I would stick to the Gen 3 H4 2.5i NA engine if economy is your concern, or the H6 3.0R if you want a little more performance.

1881 - 1900 of 1927 Posts